Wood ?

asc

Last summer I did some framing of some high-end custom homes in my city. One house had a built in wine cellar and walk in humi. We lined this entire room with what I was told was spanish cedar (SC).

The General allowed me to collect all the scrap after we were done, and I had visions of grandeur for making a custom cabinet humi. Well..reality set in that I'm not super handy with detailed work, and I don't have many tools that would be needed for that kind of wood work...so I bought a wine fridge.

I figured I would line the back of the fridge with some of this wood to help with rH regulation/swings. After a week in there, I noticed a very light aroma...not aromatic cedar, not pine...kind of just a clean wood odor. But it made me wonder, is this REALLY SC? I pulled the planks out to get a second opinion before I potentially risk my stash.

Can you tell from the pics below if it's spanish cedar? If not...how would you recommend I go about finding someone who has more lumber knowledge than I possess?

SmokinAl...anyone else on here have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

First 3 are the rough cut boards.

Next 2 are the boards post-planing and sanding. Big color difference also put up a red flag for me.

Last is a side-by-side comparison.

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

» Can you tell from the pics below if it's spanish cedar?

The planned piece is the most distinguishing which clearly shows it not to be Spanish Cedar. Looks more like Western Red Cedar. It's not Eastern (Aromatic) Cedar which would be detrimental to the delicate aroma of a cigar. Western Red Cedar is used heavily as clading material, such as siding, indoor paneling, decking, shingles, but as a humidor material....??? I'm not sure you would want to unless it was well seasoned. Let that planned piece rest and breath awhile before you put it in your fridgidor. Make sure most of the fresh cut odor is gone before you use it. The same idealology goes for Spanish Cedar. I wait a few weeks before introducing my cigars to a fresh cut piece of Spanish Cedar. I actually let it sit outside in the sun to patina and get washed by some rain for a few days.

I'd say no to Cedrela Odaorata (which is the Spanish Cedar used in good quality humidors) but that doesn't mean it isn't a "Spanish Cedar".

I'd avoid putting any wood lining into your wine fridge to "stabilise humidity", simply because it wont. The wood is hygroscopic, the same as the cigars and cigar boxes. The only thing additional wood will do is slow the desaturation time if you forget to maintain the humidifier. The wood can also go the other way if it's over saturated.

(Did you know there's an oil used to spray inside cheap humidors to make them smell like proper Spanish Cedar? The stuff tastes horrible so I wouldn't recommend putting a cigar against it...)

Guest Warren

»

» (Did you know there's an oil used to spray inside cheap humidors to make

» them smell like proper Spanish Cedar? The stuff tastes horrible so I

» wouldn't recommend putting a cigar against it...)

Al why are you drinking this **** , don't you know it'll spoil your dinner .

Which smelled pretty bloody good last night , that Susanna is a great cook. :ok:

» The only thing additional wood will do is slow

» the desaturation time if you forget to maintain the humidifier.

Thank you for the knowledge gentlemen.

--And I didn't so much as mean to stabilize the humidity...but more of...open the door...humidity starts to drop...door closes...wood would be additional source of humidity to "recharge" the air, theoretically putting less strain/humidity exchange on the cigars.

Well...ok...in my mind at least. :-)

Thanks again though to you both.

Wanted to call you today Wazza to say thanks but left your number at home. Brilliant job mate and a much lesser chance of burning myself to a crisp. You're a bloody legend!!!

Call it a months time and we'll have another open house at Chez Al for dinner and drinkies. I'm not just marrying Zana 'cause she's cute and funny. ;-)

Guest Warren

» Wanted to call you today Wazza to say thanks but left your number at home.

» Brilliant job mate and a much lesser chance of burning myself to a crisp.

» You're a bloody legend!!!

»

» Call it a months time and we'll have another open house at Chez Al for

» dinner and drinkies. I'm not just marrying Zana 'cause she's cute and

» funny. ;-)

You are most welcome Mate , it didn't take long to fix and I told Zanna that since you didn't have to buy a new one that's a little extra yo can spend on her on your honeymoon.;-)