Havana Nocturne by T.J. English

Havana Nocturne: How the Mob Owned Cuba and Then

Lost It to the Revolution

by T. J. English

Hello cigar fans…I just purchased this book on Amazon so I have not read it as yet…but it does look very interesting…especially with an excellent cigar. Included below is a review posted on Amazon.

~Sabersfriend

5 of 5 people found the following review helpful:

A sure bet..., June 9, 2008

By Quixote010 (columbus, ohio) - See all my reviews

Crime novels abound. There's no question that we enjoy reading fiction and non-fiction about the gangster element. This is one historical presentation that is certain to please readers.

Unlike other books that often rehash well-known facts about criminals and their actions, Havana Nocturne is an entertaining review of the historical activities of the Mob in Cuba from the mid-1940s until the Castro revolution takeover in 1959. History has often avoided or ignored the Mafia's involvement in Cuba, forgetting that many of the activities there superceded or coincided with the development of Las Vegas.

Rather than a presentation of repetitive facts, however, this book does an excellent job of condensing the political events of the time while also explaining the decades-old Mob interest in Cuba.

Readers will find the story reading like a fantasy as they discover interesting facts surrounding the activities of Frank Sinatra, John F. Kennedy and the bawdy nightlife of the Caribbean.

For those interested in understanding why the US has avoided involvement in Cuba for 50 years, how Batista ruled Cuba and Castro took control, and how the Mafia nearly rose to power internationally, I strongly recommend this book.