I hear the word vegetal and it scares me!!!

From my wine experiences when I had a wine that was vegetal it was horrible-aging only made it worse. Yuck!

I am hearing this as a phrase used to describe a "young" cigar-----a characteristic that will change in time to the positive. Could I please have more information on this?

dave

Guest Sailor

To really answer this question correctly, one would have to have a PhD in chemistry. Lets start with the difference between the fruit and the leaf, wine vs cigars. The passion in making the two have many things in common but today, science almost overtakes art in wine making. The changes that take place in a cigar during the ageing process are a blending of the tobaccos used rather than a chemical change in wine. Not all wines mature in the bottle and not all cigars mature in the humidor. The old saying " Crap in = crap out" is true in both cases. An educated palate can determine the potential of both a wine and a cigar. There is no substitute for experince and even less for education.

Good reply Scott.

Vegetal,green,amonia to me are all the same type of descriptive adjective. It is a condition however that I know will change as it is to do with maturation.

Grassy, herbal, hay, stalky are a different set of descriptive terms. I use the same terms to describe Sauvignon Blanc. I also use the same terms to describe som Dom cigars such as some Don Tomas.

• 2 weeks later...

for me vegetal = vegereos i just find them too taste odd, vegatal like...just cant seem to enjoy one.

amonia tastes different too me also nasty but will correct itself as does grassy like some cohibas.. but i like that grassy taste... vegatal...blech!

guess taste is subjective..