San Cristobal Principe TEB May 07

So basically what we are looking at here is 98% ligero with a wrapper? Sounds like I'd rather go 3 rounds with Maywhether. Thanks for the review. In this size I just cant get over all the great smokes with the RASCC and Siglo I's leading the way.

Thanks for the honest as always, review. I have found the Principes to be very inconsistent without age and had some pretty harsh specimen as well. Nonetheless, many of the following ones from the same box had that typical Principe sweetness (molasses if you will). I wouldn't give up on that box code after one cigar.

» As requested ;-)

Can I request to review a Punch RS11 from 2007? :-D

Thanks Rob. Do you think this was just a bad apple, or do you think the whole box may be this way? I know exactly what you are talking about with the black coal flavor and to be honest, it's hard for me to imagine that going away with age. Maybe you could muster up another tasting of this cigar in a day or 2.

» Thanks Rob. Do you think this was just a bad apple, or do you think the

» whole box may be this way? I know exactly what you are talking about with

» the black coal flavor and to be honest, it's hard for me to imagine that

» going away with age. Maybe you could muster up another tasting of this

» cigar in a day or 2.

I will back up again in a day or so ;-)

• 6 months later...

As requested ;-)

San Cristobal Principe TEB May 07

Perfect looking Principe with a slight reddish hue. Good level of oil in the wrapper and quite pungeant aroma at cold. Overall excellent construction. Clipped the cap and the draw is as good as one can hope for.

image6206.jpg

image6207.jpg

image6208.jpg

I know what to expect fom the Principe. Medium bodied cream, sweet spice and a touch of molasses. So I fired up this little beauty and was blown away by its strength. Medium to full bodied...almost ruthless....WTF?

I am sure it will settle down. Good pepper hit through the nose and registering on the tongue. Flavours just pure tobacco and black coal. It may be the case that it is just young but this cigar needs some serious nap time...12-24 months. I cannot discern any sweetness whatsoever...no cream...no sweet spice...no molasses.

image6209.jpg

Into the second half and still medium full and in a foul mood. It refuses to give me one iota of a peek into its future. Still just tobacco and coal. Good burn...a complex aroma of dusty coffee/cocoa (is this the hint?) but one dimensional little powerhouse.

image6210.jpg

If this was given to me bandless in a blind tasting then I would have picked it as a very young Bolivar Corona Junior. No way in Hades would I pick it as a Principe.

The final third just carries out the same profile from the opening draw. This cigar did not change at all in the 30 minutes I spent with it. I am at a loss to detail where it will go from here but I would like to find out and have put a half dozen in my humidor.

There is zero complexity so I am not expecting a great deal and yet the sheer strength and arrogance of the cigar has me wondering.

Right now I can only give it an 86. It was an honest medium to full bodied cigar. It was just not a Principe.

image6211.jpg