Plugged Smokes?

I am curious if it is typical to have a few plugged smokes in a box and is there one brand over another that it is more common? Also, is there a solution to a tight smoke? Somewhere I thought I had seen a rod of some sort that you could push through. Is it better just to chunk them like I did and move on?

Specifically, I bought a 5 of Bolivar RC (TEB JUL07) to try on a recent order (not czar). I lit all of them up this weekend and the results were way disappointing. 2 of 5 were pluged and completely unsmokable. They felt as if they were just too full. As for the remaining, 3 were smokable but need constant correcting. They took alot of work to smoke. Here is a photo of the head after I cut it down a bit to tried and open it up.. I'm not positive what it should look like but does not seem too bad as to be unsmokable..

headofsmoke.jpg

I'd appreciate any insight!

Since they are made by hand it seems there is always 1 or 2 that are poorly built. I usually toss them. Did you have a chance to rest them for a while before you lit up ? No gurantee from vendor ??? If not next time try the Czar.

I rested them for about 3 weeks or so..Not too long..

Not sure about the guarantee.. It is only a 5 smokes and I wouldn't want to be picky.. If I would have bought the entire box I would probably want to discuss it more..

» Since they are made by hand it seems there is always 1 or 2 that are poorly

» built. I usually toss them. Did you have a chance to rest them for a while

» before you lit up ? No gurantee from vendor ??? If not next time try the

» Czar.

To my eye, the head looks very tightly packed. Unfortunately, a few duds can be expected, but in this

day and age, should not be accepted.

What I do to try and ease a draw is use a steel kabob skewer. I don't do it that often, and one must use

care as it can cause wrapper splits. Also, do not run it all the way trough the end, as this can cause

draw problems as well. If the draw is really that tight, I usually chuck it.

As an aside, I sometimes wonder if when ordering singles, the cream of the crop may not get sent out.

I guess I would not expect an excellent box to be broken up for singles, but we should expect smokeable

cigars.

I am not making accusations, either - it's just a thought.

» I guess I would not expect an excellent box to be broken up for singles,

» but we should expect smokeable

» cigars.

» I am not making accusations, either - it's just a thought.

I am interested in that thought.

I am on a limited CC budget but I like a variety of vitolas. Since I am relatively new to Habanos I am also interesed in experincing new and different brands. So for me buying singles seems to be my best shot.

I wonder if the attitude of sellers who sell singles is to sell the bottom of the barrel as singles? Then why do they sell the singles at a premium? In theory if there is a demand they make more money on singles.

So should I change my thinking?

Or was this just a case of a bad batch that happens every so often with hand rolled?

I've had some success using a straight ended dental pick. The diameter is not too big that it stresses the wrapper. Several pokes on the head with the pick usually opens it enough. Another technique that is some what sacreligious is a 3/32" drill bit from both ends. This will remove material so it doesn't stress the wrapper. One thing I've never done was discard. I could never!

» I am interested in that thought.

» I am on a limited CC budget but I like a variety of vitolas. Since I am

» relatively new to Habanos I am also interesed in experincing new and

» different brands. So for me buying singles seems to be my best shot.

»

» I wonder if the attitude of sellers who sell singles is to sell the bottom

» of the barrel as singles? Then why do they sell the singles at a premium?

» In theory if there is a demand they make more money on singles.

» So should I change my thinking?

» Or was this just a case of a bad batch that happens every so often with

» hand rolled?

Differing vendors have differing attitudes to singles. Looking at your photo's then either:

A) The person selecting had no idea.

B) The person selecting did not care (and possibly also...had no idea).

C) The selected cigars just fell through a crack in quality control.

A cigar can be plugged due to various reasons. Overfilling of the bunch can usually be seen by a very tightly structured foot. It is also accompanied by a heaviness in the hand. Once you pick up a couple of thousand Robusto's you get to know the feel of the correct weight.

A firm cigar with an openly structured foot can draw perfectly.

A cigar can also be plugged due to the twisting of the leaf when rolling a cigar. It is simply poor technique and often occurs in Figurado's towards the tapered foot. It is nigh impossible to spot unless there is a "knot" just under the band. Sometimes the leaf is twisted and no knot apparent. It simply blocks all or majority of airflow.

Advise your vendor of the problem experienced and request that he replace the plugged cigars next order. Attach the photo's. You may be doing him a favour as he can show the photo's to his staff.

Thanks all for the insight.. Being new and having never encountered this I kept cutting the first cigar down thinking I would get to where I could smoke it but after 3 inches I just tossed it.. The second I tried squeezing the cut end to open it up and again I got a bit annoyed so I just moved on...

I did contact the vender but as I have never given them much positive feedback (or not a lot) so I did not think it polite to ask for replacements but hopefully they will look at the box and save someone else the disappointment. I might have asked to be replaced if I thought I would be ordering from them again but oddly I ran across THIS new place that seems top notch...

»

Thanks for the tutorial, El Presidente. Very interesting.

As someone who is new to Cubans, perhaps some of you can share your thoughts as to whether certain brands and vitolas within brands seem to experience construction problems more than others? Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Hi

From Miami:

Here is what a crazy cuban would do with Cigars like this.......

I would get this cigar cut it into parts (I know unholy), but to waste it would be more unholy.........

Then I would use one of these........and smoke this cigars at a different layer:::::

image6019.jpg