Digital Hygro recommendations

Can anyone recommend a relaible digital hygrometer? My Cigar Oasis XL reads 65, my Western digital 58 and some other brand reads 52. What is with these things? I would pay mega bucks for one that works!:-(

» Can anyone recommend a relaible digital hygrometer?

I could not recommend one brand in particular that would be any more accurate / reliable than

any other. But they do make adjustable digitals now. Personally, I salt test my digitals at least twice

a year, and more often, it's three or four times. I see how close or far off they are, and just keep

that in mind when checking them.

There have been a few threads on the topic if you'd care to read them.

P.S. If I recall correctly, mad scientist Ginseng had some interesting notes. Something along the lines of

your digital hygrometer can only be trusted as accurate in the environment in which it was calibrated.

That's not a direct quote, and I might possibly be off track a bit.

I got tired of the digital hygrometers most cigar places sold. They seem to be all over the place. Many folks here suggested for those of us on a budget building an igloo humidor. Works for me, use the battery powered Oust fans for circulation and Mark's RH Beads to maintain humidity. Anyhow, knowing the RH beads over time will stabilize a closed environment such as an igloo to the desired 65% humidity, I saw all of my digital "humidor" hygrometers were well off. It pissed me off to say the least.

So I went down to Target, looked around the Home & Garden section and saw a whole aisle of temperature and humidity devices by a company called Oregon Scientific. The higher end ones measure both temperature and humidity, and they have remote sensors, some models have multiple sensors, I just have one remote sensor. Anyways, long story short, I have the remote sensor in the igloo, which has steadied down to a rock solid 65% (about a half day after I open the igloo to fetch some sticks). It also lets me know what the ambient conditions are in the house. For Southern Arizona this can be important, we can literally get into single digits for humidity during the dry season. Great for mummies, bad for cigars. It is nice not having to open the igloo to see if the humidity level is on the mark.

Here is a link to give you and idea

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/brow...cid=30&scid=122

Don't bother with Target's online store, what they sell via mail-order sucks compared to what is in the store. I'm sure you could find this at Home Depot, or Lowes as well.

Cheers,

Chris

» Personally, I salt

» test my digitals at least twice

» a year, and more often, it's three or four times.

I'll google this, and look in the threads, but I'd love to know more about this, Colt, and particularly any insights you might have gleaned from your own personal experience.

Thanks!

» I'll google this, and look in the threads, but I'd love to know more about

» this

Here is one of Wilkey's great posts:

[link=http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=53221&page=0&order=time&category=all.tld/]Link[/link]

There are others as well - try searching for hygrometer calibration or similar. Happy reading :-)

I might also say that I don't get hung up on the exact reading - I use them more to keep track

of climate stability.