Romeo y Julieta Theory

This is a theory alone based primarily on my own observations and feedback I have received from other members.

Excluding the Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills which were released at the Habanos Festival in February 2005, general production Romeo y Julieta has been disappointing. Construction is fine however the cigars have generally been lacklustre in terms of flavour. Largely gone are the medium bodied intensity and the charred cherry notes that I have always enjoyed.

Is it merely coincidence that the Romeo y Julieta factory was closed in its entirety (excluding the retail Divan) at end of 2004/Jan 2005? Workers were transferrend to La Corona from memory but some made their way to H. Upmann.

I am thinking that something was lost in the transfer. A little bit of soul, a little bit of passion. Perhaps a change of blend management?

I will try to delve a little closer into whether the R&J expertise (blenders/managers etc) made the transition in full.

» I am thinking that something was lost in the transfer. A little bit of

» soul, a little bit of passion. Perhaps a change of blend management?

»

» I will try to delve a little closer into whether the R&J expertise

» (blenders/managers etc) made the transition in full.

Okay.....so if the blenders / managers were lost in the shuffle, who's running the show

regarding RyJ cigars? Are they just grabbing some tobacco, rolling it up, and putting

RyJ bands on them? Did they throw some tobacco up in the air and see how it landed

to decide on blends?

Interesting theory.

» Okay.....so if the blenders / managers were lost in the shuffle, who's

» running the show

» regarding RyJ cigars? Are they just grabbing some tobacco, rolling it up,

» and putting

» RyJ bands on them? Did they throw some tobacco up in the air and see how

» it landed

» to decide on blends?

»

» Interesting theory.

You would have to think that the blenders and managers moved across. This would make sense to maintain stablility. However, commonsense is not so common.

The only consistently good R&J cigar since that time has been the R&J Short Churchill (IMHO) which was put into full production AFTER the move. I believe it is true to the R&J blend heritage so there is no question that they are capable and that they are using good leaf etc etc.

Heart and soul of R&J is what is missing. Classic R&J "taste" is what is missing. The only thing I can put my finger on is the change in environment and necessary changes in line manufacturing.

I wil flesh this out further. I will find out first whether the management and blenders of R&J were retained and are overseeing R&J blend.

» Heart and soul of R&J is what is missing. Classic R&J "taste" is what is

» missing. The only thing I can put my finger on is the change in

» environment and necessary changes in line manufacturing.

»

So possibly, they're no longer made with love? :-)

It will surely be interesting to see how this pans out - thanks.

» So possibly, they're no longer made with love? :-)

»

» It will surely be interesting to see how this pans out - thanks.

To a certain extent but it is a little more.

R&J Factory had its own charm, aroma's, culture, history. There is a pride when you are rolling at R&J as there is when you are rolling at Upmann/El Laguito/Partagas/Habanero/La Corona.

You relocate to a new location....new culture, new systems, new people. It would be a challenge for the product to remain the same.

Take for example you have a favourite restaurant. You are a huge fan of the chef who has been there many years. He moves to another restaurant as head chef. You follow him....but the dish you always order is not quite the same.

» R&J Factory had its own charm, aroma's, culture, history. There is a pride

» when you are rolling at R&J as there is when you are rolling at Upmann/El

» Laguito/Partagas/Habanero/La Corona.

»

» You relocate to a new location....new culture, new systems, new people. It

» would be a challenge for the product to remain the same.

»

» Take for example you have a favourite restaurant. You are a huge fan of

» the chef who has been there many years. He moves to another restaurant as

» head chef. You follow him....but the dish you always order is not quite

» the same.

Excellent perspective and analogy. But now I have another question:

Do you have an idea (roughly) what percentage of RyJ cigars were produced at the

RyJ factory?

» Excluding the Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills which were released at the

» Habanos Festival in February 2005...

Wasn't it 2006?

Anyway, agree on this. Last experience I had was with RyJ is the Hermoso No.2 EL04.

Not quite sure where they've been rolled and boxed (don't have the box with me n ow) but it was quite a nice smoke.

The other RyJ that I am enjoying at the moment are the Petit Princess. A Tres Petit Corona size cigar, very tasty and enjoyable after the morning expresso!

Rest is definitely lacking of flavor and body.

Guib:-D u