Tobacco Worm - Cure?

Hello all, I was speaking to good friend the other day who told me of some interesting facts concerning Tobacco Worm.

First of all that all cigars contain tobacco worm eggs. I can't remember what he called it exactly.

Secondly, that when cigars are subjected to temperatures over 24 Degrees C, they hatch and form worms.

Now, I would like some confirmation on the above and also with the proposed cure.

First you place your cigars in a vacuumed sealed bag and place into your freezer for two days or until well and truly frozen.

Next you leave them in the fridge for 24 hours before removing and placing back into your humidor.

Once this is done it kills all the eggs and prevents your cigars from ever producing the dreaded worms.

I am very interested to hear what people have to say regarding this as I am in the process of building a cabinet humidor with concerns of exposure to high temperatures.

Anything above 21 C is all they need. The Larvae is not in all cigars but in enough. From Jan 2006 Habanos s.a freezes all cigars so that should help on current stock.

Your average home freezer is unlikely to be cold enough. If you are going to use it then use it for a week or more. Commercial Deep Freezers are better if you have access.

4-5 days in the commercial deep freezer. (place the boxes of cigars within 2 seperate Zip Lock Bags.

2 days in the fridge

1 day on the bench

Back in your humidor and don't touch/taste them for 60 days. All this freezing is traumatic :-)

Thanks Rob, Larvae was the word I couldn't remember.

Do you think there is any chance cigars could split open or be damaged in any way through the freezing process?

And do you personally recommend doing it here in Queensland?

» Thanks Rob, Larvae was the word I couldn't remember.

»

» Do you think there is any chance cigars could split open or be damaged in

» any way through the freezing process?

»

» And do you personally recommend doing it here in Queensland?

I have a climate controlled home unit so I on't bother but until recently when using desk tops I froze all cigars. Couldn't taste a difference between home stock and store (unfrozen) stock.

No splitting. Just take every stage slowly.