Do You Quarantine Your New Arrivals?

» If either intact boxes or various singles, do you quarantine your new

» arrivals, and if so, for how long?

I never did and never had any problems. Though last week at my brothers house we had a fire going with 200 cigars going up in flames. Beatles everywhere. I think they came from a NC sampler from cigar magazine. It was a free sampler when you order the mag. I got them and right away gave them to him. 3 days later he had a Trinidad from the sampler in his traverl humi and I saw 2 holes and a white bug.

Needless to say the only thing that wasnt infested are about 20 Opus x gars. Everything went up in flames to the smoke gods.

Now He is going to buy 1 of my cabinet humis and cigar oasis. He is decideing on what he wants to buy for all he smokes are NCs' besides what I give him.

When his list is finished I will halve to put in an order to ElPres

in a word....no.

im not sure if it would do any good anyway, im mean for just how long would you keep them seperate ? and why ?

conditions being right 65/65 or there abouts you wouldnt see an out break unless they were already hatched and you'd see them and would send them back...some freeze there incoming..i do nothing and so far havent had a problem...

one note though any singles from others..ie : gifts,trades,etc. go into plastic bags to isolate but still ive been lucky.

Just bought 2 week ago a Haier HVA052ALL-8S Afficiano Series 52 Bottle Wine Refrigerator.I am not going to ruin my sticks have to much $$$$ invested.It worth getting a wine cooler.

» » If either intact boxes or various singles, do you quarantine your new

» » arrivals, and if so, for how long?

»

» Nope. I did freeze for a while, but lately I've been lazy.

Been lazy also, but am trying to play catch up. Have only had one cigar ever with beetles (nothing I had purchased). Fortunately the cigar was in a sealed plastic sleeve and nothing else was contaminated. Could have been really ugly.

BUD

I normally leave new cigars when they are boxes or singles in a humidor I have that is empty for new incoming vitolas....

This humidor is kept at 65% humidity and I normally leave the new singles in there for about a week before they go into the general population with the rest of the inmates... :-D

I have never frozen any cigars and never will...

If the factory, distributor, or anyone else along the process does... Then that should be enough to prevent the beetles from being born unto this world to do any damage...

I have smoked a defrosted cigar after giving it time to recover from the Han Solo treatment and I was not diggin' it....

If the beetles do arrive then most of the time it is negligence on the owners part for not providing the adequate environment for the tobacco to blossom in...

this is why my cabinet is kept in my office. Never does it get above 72 in my office. Can't say that about my home as we keep the temp at 78 or so....and that is cool compared with the 100 degree temps outside....

» If either intact boxes or various singles, do you quarantine your new

» arrivals, and if so, for how long?

No I haven't quarantined new boxes, I hope my luck can last. Winter not a problem but summer with AC on gets up to 74 to 76 F.

» I don't and haven't had a problem(should I knock on wood?:-| ).I'm always

» monitoring my smokes and they don't get above 68* F ...period.

Same here, I just make sure I do a monthly check of all my smokes, in boxes and cabs and singles...so far so good!!

Ironman

i do not freeze. i have heard many good, knowledgeable folks who do freeze extol its vitues, but i cannot get past thinking my cigars will taste as different as my wild turkey breasts do from fresh to frozen.

my main humidor is in a very well controlled temperate room, which stays at 64 degrees F. the humidor itself sits between 63-66. i have never had a problem (knock on wood).

i occasionally keep new arrivals in an unused humidor for a while for observation.

Based on other recommendations here… I pop the UNOPENED package into the freezer for a week… and then let ‘em set unopened for another day out of the freezer, to avoid any unnecessary condensation problems.

The singles (M2’s, PSD4’s) I’ve enjoyed so far have been just fine.

I've never even thought about quarentining my new arrivals. My thoughts usually are to inspect them and then right away put them away. Figuring after the long trip they need to get into the proper humidity quickly so they can regain their proper moisture.

» No, but they go into my cabinet set a 67/67

Mine go into the Avallos which are set at 64% RH... I too was very weary of the whole freezing thing - figuring it HAD to have an adverse effect on the cigars.

Recently - I went in on a big split with a friend from a much warmer part of the country -- he always freezes all his incoming sticks and the half-cabs I got from him were frozen before he sent them my way.

When the cigars showed up - I checked and found that I had the same date/factory code in my Humidors - and after letting the new shipment rest about 10 days to get over the long cross country trip - I had the chance to run a side by side of the frozen vs. the never frozen cigars....... Much to my great surprise - I did not find any degradation in the taste or burn properties of the previously frozen sticks.....