Fonseca Delecia (NOV 05) Review

» nice review as always prez...

True that...... I truly appreciate all the members who take the time to review, and

comment on reviews - very helpful, to say the least!

But back to the cigar at hand, combined with another recent Fonseca review, they

don't sound like the line for me :-)

• 1 year later...

It is one lifes great joys to enjoy a fine small cigar and a good coffee in the morning. Your palate is fresh, the day is still like a blank canvas which you are about to transform.

This is how I start most days at Czar house. Journal and pen on one side, fine cigar on the other, coffee aroma wafted from out front.

To me I enjoy coffee cream half corona's at this time. Partagas Short, Montecristo No 5, San Cristobal Principe. Each has their own special characteristic but each was designed for the morning coffee task in hand and each completes it beautifully.

Today however I thought I had better take a little walk on the wild side and so I reached for a Fonseca Delicia

I have not been a huge consumer of Fonseca's ever since they managed to delete the quirky Fonseca Invictos which I very much enjoyed. I do like the Fonseca No 1 and the Consacos albeit I think there are better more complex "mild format" cigars.

Then again, just when you think you have a cigar pigeonholed....all Fonseca's are light in body, high quality and mildly complex....you try a fonseca which blows those beliefs out of the water. A Fonseca Cosacos did just that to me a week ago and so I was keen to see what the Delicia had to offer.

Fonseca Delicia 4 7/8" x 40 (123 x 15.87 mm)

Perfect construction. Wrapper, roll, cap....all A1. Smell at cold a light milk cofee. Clipped the cap and the draw was spot on. Toasted tobacco on the lips.

image2164.jpg

image2165.jpg

image2166.jpg

image2167.jpg

Torched the foot and allowed the Delicia to find its feet. Very smooth on the palate...no spice through the nose. Sexy softness to the smoke...elements of weak milk cofee ala a tripple grande starbucks latte with only one shot of espresso (seriously....someone explain Starbucks success to me :confused: ) The body was mild.

I certainly wanted a little more out of my cigar so I was hoping that it would develope a little body...a little more spice...somehow delevop a little Jeckyl and Hyde persona....you know .....female librarian through the day....raging nymphomaniac at night. :lookaround:

Alas my fantasies seemed yet again ready to be crushed as I neared the halfway mark without the Delicia evoving from its initial mild, weak milk coffee profile, soft silky smoke. The ash development however was magnificent.

image2168.jpg

image2169.jpg

To be honest I became bored with the Delicia when I reached the last quarter. It was a good mild cigar but I demand my mild cigars have complexity. In fact I probably demand greater complexity in my mild cigars as part of their role is to take me on a journey of rising, lilting and everchanging balance and flavours. Sancho Panza Molinos perhaps does this better than all others.

So all in all a good mediocre cigar. To Habanos s.a....give it some compexity or delete it and bring out a similar size in a Por Larranaga. If you are going to dabble in these vitols'a then the cigar must have a definitive charachter. Mild and complex is great. Mild and boring is a recipe for crap sales.

84/100

image2170.jpg