Fonseca Cosacos (TTH NISU)

Fonseca

Cosaco

5 3/8 x 42 Cosaco (Holguín provincial factory, 12/1998)

Prelight: The Cosaco is definitely an unusual size, being right smack in the middle between being a corona and a mareva. Wrapped beautifully in tissue paper with the gold Fonseca band, the band peeled off easily and I unwrapped the paper to find a surprize. This was the darkest wrapper I'd ever seen on a Fonseca. An evenly-colored maduro wrapper, the color of a cup of coffee, with a very subtle gloss to it. The cap was the usual (or unusual, compared to other brands) flat, blunted shape with the body of the cigar having a nice, rounded roll. The wrapper had one raised vein near the head and a weird little spot midway wear it looks like the leaf and folded in on itself during wrapping. Cut easily and gave hints of strong tobacco, sweet sugar, and some spice.

Beverage: Ethiopian Harrar coffee, my favorite.

Flavor: Initial impressions would give the base for most of the rest of the smoke. Chocolaty and sweet with some tea notes, exotic fragrances of wood, flowers, and spices, an underlying hearty tobacco flavor.

One-third in, the aroma was an intoxicating mixture of tea, black pepper, and leather. The aroma seemed much stronger when I would draw smoke into my mouth and let it slowly waft from there to my nostrils, rather than simply sniffing the lit cigar. As in the aroma, the taste was growing distinctly stronger in black peppercorn flavor, with a mild earthiness also becoming present. Still lots of sweet flavors of tea and chocolate, with some nuances of Spanish cedar shavings.

Halfway down, an engaging bitter herbal flavor developed on the finish that would last for the rest of the smoke. Sweet chocolate maintained its presence, though tea diminished, some hints of coffee, and a strongly herbaceous finish.

In the final third, the aroma revealed roasted nuts and wood. Still very mildly earthy, with toasted tobacco flavors in the background, pepper beginning to diminish a tad. Bitter woods and herbs on the finish blended for a unique experience. Very strong roasted flavors of coffee, toast, and nuts on the finish as well. Medium-bodied and satisfying.

Construction: Fine construction. Good draw and an even burn that required no additional attention after lighting. Wrapper did crack in a place as I smoked, but never presented any problems to the burn or got worse. Surprizingly for such an aged smoke, the ash was nearly jet black the whole length of the cigar.

Summary: Fonsecas themselves are unusual, coming in a unique presentation, in unique sizes not seen in many other brands, and with a very unique flavor and aroma. This one was obviously even more unusual, as it was rolled in a dark wrapper, whereas every other Fonseca I've enjoyed has been a colorado or lighter. The maduro leaf probably contributed to much of the roasted and chocolaty flavors I detected, as I've never experienced these tastes in any other Fonseca I've enjoyed, and made for a stronger body than Fonsecas usually possess. I've always enjoyed Fonsecas for their value price and intriguing tastes. :)

» Great review - I've never had any of the Fonseca line.

» Your use of the terms bitter herbal, stronly herbacious, and bitter woods

» and

» herbs will probably help keep it that way.

Don't mistake it for bad tastes...they were good bitter flavors, just like the bitterness of coffee or Campari is a good kind of bitter.

But if you just don't like bitter flavors, then that's different.

» I don't find the Cosacos bitter at all. I agree with the herbaceous

» flavors, but I find them sweet rather than bitter. i love them, and think

» they are an underrated Habano.

I'd have to agree. I just smoked a Cosacos last night (from '97). Very nice smoke, woody, herbaceous...with a subtle sweetness on the finish. I also think they are a bit underrated.

Nice review BP!:clap: