Building a Humidor

I have just been gifted a box of Cohiba Esplendidos and a fistfull of R and J's, and so I suddenly feel I better take my collection more seriously. SO I want to build my own humidor. I have a stack of mahogany and cedar ready to go. Where can I get affordable humidifier and a humid-whatever to read the humidity. What does a humidifier consist of anyway?

Also, got any lines on some good Humidor blueprints?

Thanks in advnace everyone.

» Where can I get affordable humidifier and a humid-whatever to read

» the humidity.

»

» What does a humidifier consist of anyway?

»

» Also, got any lines on some good Humidor blueprints?

Sammy,

Give me your addy and I'll come over and build it for you, that way you won't have to do ANY work! :-P

Your humidification device (active or passive) depends on the size of the humidor. Are you talking about a desktop size? If so, then check with heartfeltindustries for their 65% humidity beads.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/beads_1.html

The "Little Havana" torpedo hygrometers work very well.

http://www.littlehavanacigars.com/proddeta...p?prod=HY1062LT

Mate can give you a tip on a cheap option until you get the real deal.

Use an esky, buy some oasis (green florist foam) & put it into a plastic container (takeaway tubs are fine) with holes in the lid. Add DISTILLED water to the oasis, then put in one corner of esky.

Buy a digital hygrometer/humidity device ($30-$50), and just check on it now & then it should be pretty much perfect.

I do have a couple of desktop humidors which I rotate cigars through every couple of months, but the esky is fine for boxes until I build/afford a cabinet humidor.

Hope this helps.

Guest nugget

Sammy, Good luck mate hope it goes well. Question though, how did you get hold of Spanish Cedar? I've been searching for a while to build a cabinet myself.

Nugget

» » ALB... would you be so kind as to enlighten us Yanks to the nature of an

» » "esky"?

» »

» » Many thanks!

I remember fondly the moment I was awarded my first Esky! I was 18, young invincible and ready to take on the world. No longer would I be forced to drink warm beer at a BBQ, I finally could cool products for extended periods of time.

Wow. What memories, my esky takes pride of place in my garage, never lent never let out of my sight.

I think that everyone would remember there first camping experience with their first esky. Almost up there with a mans first car

Maybe its just me.

Ross...

Cool... thanks El P, Mav.

I’m not sure what I didn't mean, the question was asked solely to gain a little more insight on all things Oz.

Who could ever have imagined a cooler would have such spiritual import!

Now, if only someone could define the difference between a wanker and a tosser!

Cheers

What a great project. I have built five boxes and love them all. Those of you that have made your own humi's know the extra joy of having your most treasured cigars resting in custom coffins.

Spanish cedar lining right?

Think box in a box with an over lapping lid. Need a tight fit. I did all mine without blue prints and it is a great learning project.

Do know what thickness of woods your using and what type of finish is to be applied?

You can put the florist foam in any type of holder that will release the water vapors. I have one made from a sterling silver basket mounted to the top of the lid.

Have fun.

Guest cohiba

OK now, the esky is a good alternative for temp. storage? How long is ok? It wont leave a plastic type smell to the sticks? I am assuming not for they wouls be in original boxes. Guess im going to the store today !!!!

• 3 years later...

ALB...Freefallguy didn't mean it.

FFG...an esky is very much part of the sprirtual awakening of the Aussie male.

You spend most of your adolescence yearning for an Esky of your own. None are ever handed down and you really need to plan and hunt for the esky of your very own.

To do this you need a car....for an esky without your own car is very lame. Once you have your car and an esky...then you need to find a ....woman..... (or for Ken..."a significant other").

Car,woman,and Esky will see you through some of the happiest years of your life.

Hail the Esky!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>