Review: Diplomaticos No5

nic

Cigar: Diplomaticos No5 (01 or 02 production)

Overall score: 4.8 / 5.0

Ambience:

Sunday night spent in the office, getting ready for the upcomming week. Wife and dog in the TV room. A glass of Owens Sullivan "Red" to accompany.

Overall:

A very dark, sungrown wrapper, chocolate in color. Well rolled, and draws well. Smells of leather and sugar. I'm getting over a slight cold, so I chose something I thought wouldn't require much thought. I was wrong. Started with strong notes of cedar and leather. It quickly moved to bitter sweet chocolate and cedar. There is a very noticable rum like quality in the exhale. This is a excellent cigar. This couldn't be anymore different then the Diplomaticos No4 (05 production) that was gifted to me in a blind review a few months ago. The red wine isn't the best pairing for this cigar, I think scotch or rum would have worked better. I find the 2 are competing for my attention, but I don't mind.

There where very slight burn issues, and it required one relight. I don't hold that at much fault, I ignored the cigar slightly while I looked to see what MRN (little, not surprising for an "off" brand) had to say about it. :) I can't make out the box code, so I'm not sure when exactly these were made, but I'm guess '00 - '02 production.

Nice review. I have had a couple of Dip 5s from an ARA FEB 02 box, they have been outstanding. I detected a sweet lemon type taste in both of mine.

I have seen people describe these as a milder Montecristo, developed for the French market, but I don't see much in common with the Monte taste, I didn't get the mocha type taste that is for me the hallmark of Monte.

» I have seen people describe these as a milder Montecristo, developed for

» the French market, but I don't see much in common with the Monte taste, I

» didn't get the mocha type taste that is for me the hallmark of Monte.

I think that may have been the original intention when the brand was first started, but they have developed their own flavour profile now.