H. Upmann Petite Corona Review (April 02).

rob--

thanks for the follow up review of the upmann pc. sounds like it almost didn't happen, what with the problems you faced with your first two plugged choices. but the one you did smoke sounds very familiar to the 03's i referenced last week in your original thread on this subject. persistance apparently overcame resistance.

smooth, strong and satisfying. i doubt this will ever become the choice of everyone but in my limited experience i find this to be a complete smoke that delivers quite well in spite of its smaller size. obviously as you've noted there will be some bumps in the road, but when they're on, they're on. you can put these back on special any time as far as i'm concerned. :-) :-) thanks again.

best regards, john

Glad to see you finally got a winner. Good construction and age are required for these - not approachable when young.

I had a box of #4's with the same problem - only 5-6 drew - all the rest had hard spots right under the band..I wanted to throw the entire box against the wall!

I picked up a box of these last month from you guys and Ive been nothing but impressed... these cigars are very nice out of the box and as of about 5 smoked Ive only had one that was a bit tight. heres hoping the rest of the box pans out so well :-)

Nice review Prez. I'm halfway through a box from '03, and so far have not had a bad one yet. Have a box from '05 that I haven't tried yet, but looks like it will be a let down from what I've been reading. Hope they listen to you and work on the consistency issues.

Great review, El Prez! I, like others, have had great experiences with this cigar. As I stated in your earlier thread, I have a superlative box from '01. There has not been a plugged one in the bunch. Just lucky I guess.:-P

I have not sampled from my box of '03s, but it sounds as if I should...just to check it out. Might have to try some '05s just to see if my experience matches yours.

• 2 years later...

H. Upmann Petite Corona Review (April 02).

This cigar has always left me cold. Part of the reason has always been poor construction and alas....the first one I pulled from this box had a nasty tight spot under the band. Opened up the end and tried to draw....plugged horrendously and pitched it.

Went down to the humidor again and picked another....hard spot under the band. Clipped it....drew..."FRICKEN PLUGGED" at which time I threw it against the wall. I detest plugged cigars with every fibre in my body. Almost giving up on this review I selected the third which did not appear to have any construction deformalities. No tight spots, good weight, open foot. Convinced this Upmann would perform I retired back up to the rocking chair on the top deck accompanied by Smithy who had selected a H. Upmann Connoisseur No 1. We collected a bottle of Teusner "Albert" Shiraz and two glasses from the kitchen while Lisa was not looking ;-)

image1539.jpg

image1540.jpg

image1541.jpg

image1542.jpg

Colorado wrapper with a nice sweet spice smell at cold. No discernable taste when drawing through the unlit cigar.

Gently torched the little Mareva and found the cigar to have my preferred draw....slight pull required. No exertion required, just a little incentive to achieve a mouthfull of rich smoke and mouthfulls of smoke it did give.

First impressions on the palate and through the nose were medium body with little white pepper spice. Distinct sweetness was evident but not overpowering. The sweetness was quickly joined by an enticing creaminess which introduced a milky coffee charachteristic. The burn was slow and pure. Perfect.

At the halfway point I was really enjoying this Upmann offering. There came from this point a build up in body to medium -full which bid farewell to the creaminess and welcomed the arrival of a fuller coffee flavour still accompanied by the background sweetness that did not waver. The Upmann never became bitter at any time until I finally left her on the ashtray to die away with a half inch remaining.

Excellent cigar which I can still taste in my mind today. Of the Mareva's I have tried recently, it falls behind the 06 COhiba Siglo II and 06 Montecristo No 4 which both had more body and greater complexity. Yet, the Upmann displayed for the first time to me why this cigar does have a legion of fans.

If the construction issues could be sorted out and the blending consistency improved (I have had way too many papery, bland examples) then this would be a cigar in my personal rotation.

4.5 out of 6 Smokerings. 88/100

image1543.jpg

image1544.jpg

image1545.jpg