Saint Luis Rey Serie A (APU APR 03)

Very nice!:clap:

The cabinet cigars look so much nicer than the dress box - I'm not a big fan of the

box press.

I have to admit (I believe I already have in another thread), I've come around to

your view of these. I like them - the last one I had was probably the best to date -

but I don't love them.

Thanks for the pics as well - what was yesterday's wine?

you know ,

i've only smoked 2 of these i got from lisa ...

granted , i've only had two , but they just didn't do it for me.

unlike any other cuban i've ever smoked. i could best describe the flavor as predominantly "flinty" and "metallic"..... and they both left an unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth untill the next morning .

just not my cup of tea ....

-bk

I just torched one of these yesterday on the drive down from my friend's ranch up north...also from an '03 cab, it was by far the best part of my four hour drive.Started a tad slow but by mid cigar it was absolutely beautiful :ok: .This was the cigar that turned me into a big fan of the SLR line.I turned one on to my friend before I left the ranch...I'm hoping he will enjoy it as much as I did.

Dear Prez. I know what the problem is with you and thed SLR "A". Wrong liquor. You need a quart jar of Tennessee Mountain Shine to go with one of those cigars.

Agreed, my 03's are oily AND smoking with attitude...matter of fact I'm gonna torch one tonight just to verify my statement:-P

» One of my favorite cigars. The 02s & 03s from cabs & DB have been superb.

» Seems there's no middle ground on the Serie A -you like them or you don't.

• 2 years later...

Saint Luis Rey Serie A (APU APR 03)

I have a Love hate relationship with the St Luis Rey Serie A. I want to love it...I know many of you do love it....but every time I have tried one over the past 10 years I have the same feeling as when I back a hot tip at the track only to see it run well out the placings....cheated and disillusioned.

I had resigned myself that my palate (kindly described by Ken as akin to a Billy Goat :lol: ) simply did not mesh with the subtleties of the SLR SA. I always found this hard to swallow given my love of Dieux and JLS1.

So yesterday on the deck at Czar House I fired one up which I had selected from the humidor. Right from the get go I knew the construction to be perfect. Perfect cap, perfect roll , perfect weight in the hand for a Corona Gorda with no tight or loose spots. Smell at cold was faint cedar and toasted tobacco. The wrapper was silky smooth without a great deal of oil. It reminded me of Homer Simpsons description of God..." Perfect teeth, Nice smell....class act all the way."

image1530.jpg

image1531.jpg

image1532.jpg

A blimp went past the deck.

image1533.jpg

I cuban clipped the end to reveal a glorious draw. I now knew that if I was ever to enjoy a SLR Serie A...this would be the one. There were no more excuses.

Gently torched the end and concentrated on getting a great burn which was not hard at all. I let it settle for a few minutes only drawing occasionally trying to reduce the burn as slow as possible.

The first serious draws revealed a classic medium body with a little bitterness. Through the nose was some gentle white pepper spice.

Within minutes a silkiness took over which expelled any hint of harshness and stamped its foot as Saint Luis Rey. Still Medium body it was aniseed, toasted tobacco and cedar. Perfect spice balance. This cigar was taking the high road in terms of deportment...one new that it was not going to show a wild side and nor was it bred for contemptuous diversity. It was a blue blood.

The burn was excellent. Combustion perfect. Not in the photo's how the centre of the cone produces the same colour ash as the wrapper.

image1534.jpg

image1535.jpg

image1536.jpg

image1537.jpg

The balance and flavour profile of this cigar refused to change throughout it's length. 50 minutes of medium bodied silk, aniseed, toasted tobacco and cedar. In many ways it was perfect...and yet I wanted to see a "trick"...a hint of intensity or unveilling of layers as I adore in the SLR DC. The SLR SA was highly enjoyable but reminded me of a maiden on the first date. She needed to loosen up....develop a hint of a wild side or some sensual depth. She needied a drink.

4 out of six smoke rings. 88/100

In conclusion I will persevere as this was the first SLR SA I have enjoyed. Thankyou for forcing me to re-consider ;-)

image1538.jpg