New Por Larranaga Lonsdale Report

Shooter

I couldn't help and just had to try one "right off the truck." AUG06 and the accompanying drink was just water tonight.

The appearance of these cigars is nice--nothing extraordinary but well constructed and a nice chocolate color. The yellow box looked identical to my older (much cherished I might add) PL Lonsdales although I didn't do a side by side comparison.

Upon cutting, the draw was fine. The cigar was a bit "heavy" and I would say a tad wetter than I prefer. Nonetheless, I brought the torch to it.

Immediate flavors were excellent. I kind of smiled to myself as this is usually a good indicator of what's to follow. The burn started a bit crooked but after 15 minutes or so, straightened out fine. The smoke had a VERY nice aroma to it. The volume of smoke was good but not the "bellowing chimney" like some we've all had.

The PL "caramel" and spice were present but I couldn't help but compare it to the wonderful Petit Coronas from PL, and to be honest---the PC's seem to have more pronounced flavors (from both '04 and '05 examples I have).

I realize these are just babies and need some serious sleep time in a humidor. I've always enjoyed the Lonsdale and Dalia-size cigars and I had to be honest to myself and say that they've got a long way to go to match the pleasure I get from a Ramon Allones 8-9-8, Partagas Lonsdale (cab) or the Bolivar Immensa.

Time will tell of course.

Nice review Bruce :ok:

I have a hunch that the smoke volume and flavour intensity will improve greatly with a month or so in your humidor. No doubt they are a tad wet at this stage.

From the photo's I have seen they look beautiful :-P