Cohiba Siglo V - PEL JUL 01 (Blind Tasting)

cigarnv

Cohiba Siglo V - PEL JUL 01 (Blind Tasting)

A cigar group that I belong to is doing a blind tasting of 9 cigars over the course of the summer, this was cigar #9 in the tasting. All of the cigars came from Rob, and his team did a superb job of helping us put this tasting in place. There are 15 reviewers who are all seasoned Havana smokers and no reviews were released to the reviewers until all were submitted. Here is a short recap

Ratings

96+ 0 votes

90-95 9 votes

86-89 0 votes

80-85 3 vote

75-79 1 votes

74- 1 votes

NA 1 vote

“Started with nuts and a slight grassy flavor. The first third saw a cornucopia of flavors, including tannic leather, sweet wood, and hint of vanilla, grass, and chocolate., There was also a noticeable saltiness, that when combined with the sweetness, seemed almost like “kettle corn”!! Delicious!!! The middle third brought a tangy toasted tobacco flavor with peppermint, leather, wood, and notes of grass. There was also a whisper of fruitiness in the background and even a smoky BBQ-type flavor. The tanginess increased as it was smoked. The final third saw a transformation towards charred wood, and a bitterness was noted, particularly in the last 1 ½.”

“The cigar was on the light side of medium-bodied. Besides the basic tobacco flavor was a very light hint of honey and perhaps a wine-note. It was enjoyable, but not extrordinary. The cigar burned a little hot, which detracted from an otherwise fine cigar.”

“It was quite firmly rolled and the initial draw was firmer than I'd have liked. Worse, for the first half inch or so, I couldn't get much smoke from it. Fortunately, after that, though the draw remained firm, the cigar started producing a decent amount of smoke. But now I realized the smoke didn't have much flavor. I kept smoking it and it got a little better about mid-way, when familiar and pleasant peppery flavors emerged. Still, by that point, I was tired of the cigar and was just looking forward to pitching it, which I soon did.”

“Potpuri (sp) is the best way I can describe this cigar, Floral, Fruity and slightly sweet. Iknow I sound like a broken record with the floral/fruity but this cigar was far from one dimensional. It had flavors I can not describe bouncing in and out and was very enjoyable for about an hour and a half.”

“The wrapper is a very smooth dark brown and is of the highest quality. After cutting the draw is confirmed to be excellent with a pleasant tang. I am excited about this cigar as all observations so far point to a nice smoke. The cigar opens up full throttle and reminds me of one of the Toboadas that is strong and stout right out of the gate. Well maybe I over inhaled the thing? Tons of smoke with the smallest effort of draw and well balanced being on the full side of medium, that’s what I’m talking about gents. A real mans cigar. The core flavors are white pepper, exotic woods and earth.”

“The first couple puffs not like next 3. It started of with some strong presence. For 5 wonderful inches the cigar changed flavors through and entire candy store. Noted were a rich creme candy, salt-water taffy and caramel apple. This cigar was made for the nasal exhale! The middle finished with an ethereal tiramisu.”

“Upon lighting a mild, outdoorsey taste that quickly started to build.

After a few minutes, a sort of "licorice sweet" came with a nasal

exhale. This sweet quickly left, not to return but was replaced with

a matt, coarse flavor that stayed to the end.Unfortunately there were

no other complexities to speak of.”

“This cigar produced gobs of copious beautiful smoke and the firm ash was a mottled medium/dark gray. Through the middle of the cigar, an earthiness became present to match with the still strong tobacco flavor.”

“The draw was a hint to the light side but not so light as to be problematic. This cigar threw off a good deal of smoke and burned well but a bit faster than I like. Flavors of underbrush, earth were intertwined with hints of cocoa, toasted nuts and coffee notes. The flavors were well balance with no single flavor overwhelming the others. The finish was OK but not great”

“Rich tobacco flavor noticed upon first light. There is a strong black pepper spice noted as well. Lots of smoke is easily provided, as the loose draw is not affecting this. A musty earthiness begins to creep into the tasting landscape. Strength is full and body is med to full. VERY impressive at this point! The burn is somewhat uneven and the ash falls loosly. The cigar remains strong and flavorful as the pepper continues to dominate. The coffee/expresso has gone and the earthiness has faded by the end, leaving a rich tobacco taste”

“Slightly spicy starting off. Develops some earthiness and leather. Good Habanos flavor albeit mild. Strength develops about halfway point. Finish is good with some complexity even. Excellent cigar.”

Damn nice result Reid.

My favourite cigars from 2001 were:

1. Saint Luis Rey Double Corona

2. Cohiba Siglo IV

3. Cohiba Siglo V (I am not ususally a fan of either the IV or V)

4. HDM Le Hoyo De Dieux

5. Partagas Serie De Connoisseur No 1 nd 3

6. Ramon Allones Gigantes