Mould or Bloom or Plume or Cocaine or Baby Powder

Opened the desktop today to find a coating of what looks like white dust all over my cigars, particularly the BBF.

What is an easy way to tell the difference between mould, plume and bloom?

Hummidity looks OK at 72%. Cigars do feel soft however.

HELP:surprised:

» Opened the desktop today to find a coating of what looks like white dust

» all over my cigars, particularly the BBF.

:rotfl: if theres cocaine or baby powder in there somebody has some 'splainin to do!

Can you post a pic or 2 so we can see exactly what it looks like?

It'll be easier for someone to make the call with a visual.:ok:

Oh, BTW 72% rh? Id keep it between 66-68% rh brother. Depending on how hot it is in that room, 72% could make that mold sprout all over your cigars. JMHO

Bloom/plume is very fine and crystalline in appearance. Mold more resembles

cobwebs. They are different enough that it should not be a problem to determine

what you've got. I agree with C-head - 72% is a bit on the high side, not really for

mold, but for overall taste and burn characteristics. I know it can be difficult to keep

humidity down when the weather gets really hot and humid. Good Luck!

Vioce of inexperience here but that has never stopped me from running my mouth before.

Plume taste good mold taste bad. Smell it, feel it, taste it, look at it.

These simple test work for a lot of things. I do like wet cigars, keep mine down to low 60's.

I think you'll find an awful lot of folks who will recommend a lower RH.

I actually just found mold on some newly arrived smokes. When you describe it as dust all over your cigars it sounds alot more like plume than mold, but as has been said it should be fairly easy to figure. Mold tends to grow in splotches or circles. Plume tends to be a more uniform, all over the 'gar type thing. Mold is fuzzy and has a definite 3 dimensionality to it. Plume, not so much. Pics would be the best way of getting a definitive answer. Good luck!

Thank's guys.

Definately mould. Placed a digital hygrometer in there since this morning and it is reading 78%. No digital camera so can't post a pic, however, when you rub the mould it appears to come off the cigar unless you look carefully and you can see the roots of the mould still there.

65-68% RH it shall be from here on in :ok:

» You can wipe it off and smoke them, but I would get them away from

» unaffected cigars.

I keep seeing people say this. Why? So long as the RH is low enough you shouldn't get any more mold growth. As I understand it mold spores on cigars are an unavoidable thing. They are probably on every cigar you own. It's having the right conditions for mold GROWTH that would seem to matter to me?

Any rate, it's absolutely amazing to me how people who have been in the industry for quite some time can still look at a cigar with mold on it and think it might be plume.

» I keep seeing people say this. Why?

A while back I was given a couple of cigars by a friend who was just getting into them.

They had no visible signs of mold, but were a little on the spongy side. Two days later, I opened my humidor to find that these two, and only these two, cigars had mold on them. Obviously, these two cigars were not properly maintained, but my humidor

conditions had no bearing on them being moldy or not. Needless to say, they went right to the trash.

Culebra's situation may be different, due to humidor rh, but I would still not put them

back with other cigars, for peace of mind if nothing else.

I hear ya Colt, but seems to me the smokes were just so wet they didn't have time to come down in humidity before sprouting mold. I'm not saying throw them right back in the humi, I'd dry box them for a couple days first personally. But once I was satisfied the RH in the cigars had come down some, I'd be putting back in the humi. Just me though.

65% rh and lower.........hmmmm. Done that before and my sticks seemed way too dry and burned hot unless I took a puff every hour. I guess if your storage area is very warm all the time maybe you need the rh that low. 68 -70 rh smokes best for me.