ERdM Gran Corona (RPG LL00)

I haven't done a review in a couple of weeks, so thought I would throw up a couple. The first was inspired by this thread:

[link]http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/board_entry.php?id=27859&page=0&category=Habanos+Review+Forum&order=last_answer&descasc=DESC[/link]

I did not read the above review prior to doing this one. Thought I would taste it blind.

ERdM Gran Corona (RPG LL00)

This cigar had an almost imperceptable box press on its nice medium-brown wrapper. There was a single major vein extending almost the entire length fo the cigar. This corona gorda had well constructed seams and a beautiful triple-cap. The pre-light nose was mild, but of sweet earth and coffee. The initial draw was firm, but promising. This was a fairly rustic looking cigar for some reason.

The initial draw was just to the firm side of perfect. However, the smoke production was wonderful and the smoke was thick and dense. The ash was medium-gray and firm for the first half. The ash on the back half was flaky and broke off often. There was still a fair amount of oil in the wrapper as it maintained a nice sheen just below the burn. The cigar burned even until only about 1/3 was remaining, when it required a touch up. The cigar burned cool all the way down.

The initial flavors include a lot of straight tobacco with some toasted notes and coffee tints. The toastiness and light-roast coffee increased over the first inch. After the first inch, the tobacco flavors picked up and the cigar developed a smokey quality. At the midway mark, the smokiness waned and flavors of cooking spice and coffee came through stronger. After a bit, however, the flavors shifted back to the strong tobacco taste once again, with a bit of a mineral character. As the cigar wound down, the mineral character increased and some earthiness came through.

In the end, the flavors were all muddied by an overlying and not fully pleasant tobacco taste. The aftertaste was pretty overwhelming as well. This is the fourth of these from the same box (got 8 in a box split). This was the best of the bunch, but still not to my taste. I give it a B (84-86).

I have these from mid 01 and find them most enjoyable. Not much happening for thr first inch, but then gets increasingly complex. Not a powerhouse, but an enjoyable medium bodied cigar.

The initial flavors include a lot of straight tobacco with some toasted notes and coffee tints. The toastiness and light-roast coffee increased over the first inch. After the first inch, the tobacco flavors picked up and the cigar developed a smokey quality. At the midway mark, the smokiness waned and flavors of cooking spice and coffee came through stronger. After a bit, however, the flavors shifted back to the strong tobacco taste once again, with a bit of a mineral character. As the cigar wound down, the mineral character increased and some earthiness came through.

You nailed this Dawg. I enjoyed one of these with Stefan Pichler on the Czar house rocking chairs Thursday afternoon.

Reminded me of the old time school headmistress. Prim and propper, respectable with definite pedigree. Just lacking a little in personality.