Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Roi (ORE MAY03)

Continuing with my experimentation into the Le Hoyo series, I chose this nice corona for sacrifice. Here are my thoughts:

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Roi (ORE MAY03)

This cigar had a beautiful medium-to-dark brown wrapper. It exhibited few veins and had almost invisible seams. The triple-flagged cap was expertly applied. The wrapper had showed nice oils and had a very supple feel in the hand. Aesthetically, this was a great cigar. The pre-light nose was of sweet-earth and wood. I clipped it and tested the draw...perfect.

As I applied fire, wonderful aromas hit me. I tested the post-light draw...perfect once again. This cigar produced huge amounts of dense smoke with each draw. It burned dead even throughout the smoking experience and stayed cool down to the nub. The ash was medium-gray and mottled...fairly firm. Very well constructed cigar.

This was a rich cigar, initially having flavors of wood and sweet spices (cocoa?). I actually detected some citrus on the finish, a strange combination with the other flavors. As it developed, rich, black coffee flavors intertwined with the woody sweetness to provide excellent balance and tastes. The cigar was just north of medium-bodied and still had a bit of the "edginess of youth." It will improve with age. The aroma was sweet and pleasant and the taste of tobacco very clean.

I enjoyed this cigar very much. Pleasing to the eye, great construction, wonderful tastes, can't ask for much more. It is not the "chocolate pudding desert" that the des Dieux is, but it is outstanding of its own merits. I give this cigar an A- (90-91). I definitely believe it will improve over the next few years.

» I have the DD so is this the next one to try or would one of the others in

» the series be the next logical chioce?

Since getting my first cab of de Dieux, I have tried the du Dauphin and the du Roi. I was impressed enough with the du Roi that I went back for another box. I'd say move to this one next. It has a greater depth of flavor than the du Dauphin.

» The Le Hoyo range is some of the very best cigars that Cuba makes.

»

» In my home humidor I have as go to cigars:

»

» Dieux

» Maire

» Gourmet

» Roi

»

» Great review Dawg!

Thanks for the reveiw and recomendation guys. Rob please have Lisa put a box of each aside for me and we will work up the deal. I will e-mail her of the same just in case you forget to sell me cigars.;-)