San Cristobal El Morro - 1999

San Cristobal El Morro – Original Release 1999

I had several of these left in a box I obtained when they were first released in 1999 in the UK. This was beautiful box of cigars that were all dark Colorado with thin wrappers and nice oil sheen. The cigars were all constructed beautifully as I find most of the SC’s are today.

Th El Morro was very firm to the touch and clipped and drew perfectly. The cigar was stored at 62% and kept in it’s original box. The El Morro burned perfectly with a very firm flat-faced ash that was a medium to dark gray color. It burned at a slow pace and threw off gobs of rich blue smoke.

The flavor profile was unique in that no one flavor was forward, rather hints of Dutch chocolate, cedar, caramel and a light earthiness emerged. The flavor continued to change and was one of those cigars you smoked a bit too fast, as you wanted to see what the next puff revealed. Great complexity, balance and a very long finish. The smoke was very creamy, rich and fleshy in body

Overall the El Morro was a magnificent cigar that revealed how good this marca can be when given time to mature. I was not impressed with this vitola for the first 4 years and would venture to say they would be much better 4 years from now. I feel we will be hearing a great deal more about the San Cristobal cigars now that they are reaching a base level of maturity. If you can find some older ones I would suggest giving them a try.

I smoked a very fresh La Punta (only 4 months from the box date) and was very surprised at how good it was. The first inch was very flat but it built into a nice full bodied cigar with that kick that only young Habanos can deliver.

• 2 weeks later...

» I've got 4 left of my '99s. They are like smoking chocolate bars!

You would have 7 if you had not of given me 3 a long time ago.

Actually, you probably would still only have 4 - you would have smoked them like I did.

Hard to find out there in the marketplace - ain't they?