Ramon Allones Seleccion Suprema

This cigar is from box #80 of 500 from the regional release for Italy. Box code MAY 05

Ring 46

length 5.7"

I have had this box for a while and have given several away as gifts. I smoked the first one the other day in the company of Van55. I didn't take notes and I don't consider myself to be a good reviewer but I will give my impression.

This was a beautifully constructed cigar with a good draw that required a little effort. Toasting the foot gave a wonderful buttery aroma. The first few draws were very sweet carmelized sugar flavor. It then developed into strong earthiness. later into the smoke I noticed what to me was a hint of licorice mixed in. There was also a slight grassiness. It maintained an underlying sweetness throughout. It maintained an even burn with plenty of smoke.

When I smoke other RA cigars I usually notice a slight dryness and a gingerbread flavor. Both were absent in this stick.

I believe if I am able to leave the few I have left alone for several more years I will be greatly rewarded.

I enjoyed this cigar very much and am greatful to my wife for bringing me these. I do wish I had more they are worth the high price. $350.

I'll add what I can to this review. Thom gave me one of these to enjoy as he enjoyed his on Saturday.

Like Thom, I find it difficult to do a review when I smoked the cigar while making conversation in a public place, rather than in solitude while taking careful notes.

Not only was I distracted by Thom's good company and conversation, I also fielded emergency telephone calls regarding an April Fool prank that I had pulled on another cigar bulletin board that morning. Suffice it to say that my bait landed a couple of huge fish!

Anyway, the RA SS was superfly constructed. The pre-light draw was perfect.

First impression was of a somewhat mild to medium strength in the mouth with absolutely no brashness of youth. Soon after, an exhale through the nose revealed that the cigar was no shrinking violet.

A sweet, almost vanilla flavor at first gave way gradually to more of an earthy toasted tobacco flavor. Thom said that he noticed a hint of licorice, but I missed that.

The smoke picked up more substantial flavors and even a bit of harshness at the mid-way point. I decided that the harshness was due to a build up of tars and gases, so I purged it. Refreshed, the cigar yielded decent, somewhat complex flavors to the nub.

I was grateful that Thom let me enjoy this cigar. At under a year since the box date, it was remarkably soft and approachable, giving some credence to the various theories about cooking or a blend change, though one would think that as a very limited regional release, these cigars would have been made from very superior tobacco.

On the basis of this one example, I would not seek out another box given the premium it would command. If it were a regular production cigar at a reasonable price, I'd probably put a box down for another year or two and see how the cigars developed.

Thanks again for the great company and good cigar, Thom!