Cuaba Divinos \'05

I have a soft spot for perfectos. So you can tell I gravitate towards the Cuabas. These were from the 5/boxed version. Box inside a box inside a box. I felt like I was reading Poe. I didn't have my cutter with me so ... and I apologize in advance here guys ... I cut the cap with the little sissors on my Swiss Army knife. Worked surprisingly well.

I usually cut both sides on perfectos ... I hate the slow start and uneven burn that you can often get just lighting that tiny tip. Since I was winging the cutter, I lit it without the extra cut.

Took a bit to get started, but once it did the smoke was pretty nice. Decent volume of smoke, medium body, I really liked the taste although I wouldn't characterize it as smooth or refined. I don't really know how to describe the taste .... nice twang but a different sort of Cuban character than I find in most habanos. Some people say the Cuabas taste salty ... hmm .... maybe the virgins were sweating that day? I never notice anything like that. In any case, I thought the taste was excellent until I got to the last half-inch ... at that point purging didn't bring back the nice flavors and I put her down.

I find these interesting smokes ... not something I'd reach for every day, but for a change of pace a nice cigar. I'd rate then ~84. Certainly there is no reason to smoke Fuente Short Stories if you have these around (for those of you who can access those smokes).

The best of all the Cuaba IMHO.

A great Divino needs a little time but it should be rich, satisfying and full. You can get some absolute crackers which will rock your world.

• 3 weeks later...

i loved these little guys when i discovered them last year -- back in '04, i guess that is now.

they hadn't been in stock for almost a year, i think, but then heard from a friend that they were back.

ordered a box at the beginning of the year, and must say that this batch wasn't as good. the draw was very, very tight. took a lot of massaging to get them to open up. good taste when they finally do, but man a lot of work.

perhaps i needed to let them mature a bit before smoking, but i just couldn't wait.

to be honest, they are worth the work required. a great size, when you don't have a lot of time. usually about a half hour smoke for me, but i can milk them for about 45 minutes, if i take my time. great for walking the dog at the end of the night.

I have smoked these rcently and they have become my go to smokes when I have a half hour or so to kill before dinner or......

I love the rich flavours and I find them creamy and a little chocolate... They are quite a little power house in my opinion. Yes...had some draw problems but nothing tweezers cant fix...noticed that they tend to have a few stems that will make the flavours bitter but once you pull these out...problem solved and taste great.......

» I have a soft spot for perfectos. So you can tell I gravitate towards the

» Cuabas. These were from the 5/boxed version. Box inside a box inside a

» box. I felt like I was reading Poe. I didn't have my cutter with me so

» ... and I apologize in advance here guys ... I cut the cap with the little

» sissors on my Swiss Army knife. Worked surprisingly well.

»

» I usually cut both sides on perfectos ... I hate the slow start and uneven

» burn that you can often get just lighting that tiny tip. Since I was

» winging the cutter, I lit it without the extra cut.

»

» Took a bit to get started, but once it did the smoke was pretty nice.

» Decent volume of smoke, medium body, I really liked the taste although I

» wouldn't characterize it as smooth or refined. I don't really know how to

» describe the taste .... nice twang but a different sort of Cuban character

» than I find in most habanos. Some people say the Cuabas taste salty ...

» hmm .... maybe the virgins were sweating that day? I never notice

» anything like that. In any case, I thought the taste was excellent until

» I got to the last half-inch ... at that point purging didn't bring back

» the nice flavors and I put her down.

»

» I find these interesting smokes ... not something I'd reach for every day,

» but for a change of pace a nice cigar. I'd rate then ~84. Certainly there

» is no reason to smoke Fuente Short Stories if you have these around (for

» those of you who can access those smokes).

I had a friend gift me 10 of these...they were GONE in a week. I had to order some! What a great smoke...and they can be milked for 45min - or smoked in under 30...if you don't want to enjoy it!

thanks,

Gary