Saint Luis Rey Petite Corona (PAS ENE00)

My Mate and I sat down with our good friends in the old smoking room last night and lit up some Habanos. There were good ones being smoked all around. Myself, I chose a SLR PC from 00 to smoke. Here are my thoughts:

Saint Luis Rey Petite Corona (PAS ENE00)

Nice reddish-brown wrapper. The wrapper was a little leathery, but I think that is just the nature of some of the H2000 wrappers used during 99 and 00. It was not an overly attractive cigar, with a few veins, noticable seams, and a sloppy triple-flagged cap. The pre-light nose was leathery, woody (though the wood was a bit green or grassy), and slightly salty. I clipped it...the pre-light draw was a little firm, but seemed to be promising.

I lit this PC up and the draw instantly opened up to that just perfect place. The smoke production was great, each puff rewarding me with mouthfuls of rich smoke. The burn was very even all the way down...never a touch up or correction required. The ash was a very light gray and firm...did not even fall into my lap once. The cigar stayed cool down to the nub. Couldn't tell by looking at it, but the construction was great.

The initial taste from this PC was a fairly complex mix of woodiness, leatheriness, and herbaceousness with a slight salty component. As the cigar developed, the slight saltiness disappated and the herbal notes became muted. I was left with nice balance of wood and leather. At the half-way mark, the cigar picked up some coffee flavors that added nicely to the balance. I would call this a medium bodied cigar.

I enjoy the SLR PC very much. I have stated before that it is my third favorite PC, though the Upmann is currently giving it a run. I have this box from 00 and a box from 98...the 98s are actually considerably better. These definitely don't suck, however, and I have been enjoying them greatly. I rate this cigar a steady B+ (88-89).