Bolivar Lonsdale (CPV JUN01)

The second cigar that I decided to smoke last night was a Bolivar Lonsdale from 2001.

Bolivar Lonsdale (CPV JUN01)

This cigar was slightly box-pressed and touted a light-brown, almost tan wrapper. The seams were expertly done and almost invisible. The triple-flagged cap was clean and sharp. There were no significant veins on the wrapper and the cigar had a very smooth feel to it. However, there was a knot just under the band, hard...I knew I could be in for trouble. The pre-light nose was mild, mostly of earth with a bit of wood and maybe some sweet-spice mixed in. I clipped it and tested the draw...AAAAHHHHRRRRGGGGG. It was tight, very tight.

I thought for a moment. Should I wait? Wait for what, for it to miraculously open up? Would it get better? Maybe. Maybe not. Oh what the hell, cigars are for smoking.

So, I lit it up. The cigar lit easily, but I knew I was in trouble. Almost completely plugged and only thin whisps of smoke coming through. Now, I hate sucking on a cigar like I'm trying to take the chrome off a trailer hitch. I want the smoke to come to me. So, I tried to poked it with a skewer...didn't work. I fought my way through about 1/2 an inch and pitched it. Bummer.

Taste? What taste? I couldn't taste a thing. Bigger bummer.

I really like this cigar...when it will draw. I've smoked a few out of this box and at least half have been a challenge. This is the first that has been unsmokable. I decided to see if I had made a mistake. Should I have let it sit? So, I disected it. It was rolled so tight...I was really speechless. I don't know how they managed to fit that much tobacco into a 42 ring gauge cigar. Absolutely amazing. For the rating, I flunked it. A big fat F (0-50).

» hate to have a plugged smoke, but it happens

» when these are not plugged how do they compare to a Bolivar Inmensas?

Fairly similar, but a little softer. The Bolivar earthiness is still present, but I find them just a little sweeter. They are about as complex, but with a hint more creamy/grassy flavors. The Inmensas have bolder earthiness to my palate. Still nothing like the Corona Extra, though.

Hope that helps.:-)

» » hate to have a plugged smoke, but it happens

» » when these are not plugged how do they compare to a Bolivar Inmensas?

»

» Fairly similar, but a little softer. The Bolivar earthiness is still

» present, but I find them just a little sweeter. They are about as

» complex, but with a hint more creamy/grassy flavors. The Inmensas have

» bolder earthiness to my palate. Still nothing like the Corona Extra,

» though.

»

» Hope that helps.:-)

Thank you that does help, couldn't decide which one to get to try have always heard good things about the Inmensas but not much on Lonsdale

I guess I should have at least stated my preference. Comparing the two, I actually like the Inmensas a little better. A little bolder flavor. I am smoking on a box of 97s now that are just right. I don't think I'll let them age any longer...ready to be smoked in my opinion. I have another box already put down for aging. Trying to decide whether or not I want another box of Lonsdales...they have been discontinued, so I might have to grab one.