Partagas de Partagas No. 1 (RSI JUN01)

We have a regulary standing herf every Thursday night. We meet at the Downtown Grille and smoke cigars, have drinks, and catch up on the week. Well, for a while, I was the only one there last night. I took the opportunity to reflect on the cigar at hand. Here is what I thought:

Partagas de Partagas No. 1 (RSI JUN01)

This was an inviting cigar, slightly box-pressed with a medium-brown wrapper. There were no veins to speak of and the wrapper had a slightly leathery feel to it. The seams were, to be honest, a little sloppy, but the triple-flagged cap was neat and well applied. The cigar overall felt good in the hand, no hard spots...felt well-rolled. The prelight bouquet was of leather, wood, and spice...smelled like a Partagas. I clipped it and tested the draw...pre-light it was firm, but not too tight.

I applied the torch to the foot and quickly lit this dalia up. The draw stayed a little on the firm side, but smoke production was decent. The ash was medium to dark gray and appeared flakey to the eye. However, it required some effort to knock off the cigar when I did ash. The burn down to the end was even...at the back end it started to burn a little lop-sided, so a touch up was required. The cigar stayed cool until less than an inch remained.

Initial tastes were very rich and meaty, leather and spice on the palate. There was also the tiniest bit of sweetness, but his could have just been a component of the spice. Excellent Partagas flavors in a rich, straight-forward format...in your face sort of cigar. This was not a complex cigar, but the flavors were perfectly balanced and consistent. The aroma was sweet, with a blend of the wood and spice...wonderful.

This is the fourth cigar out of this box that I have smoked. Two of the cigars were challenging, tight draws, little smoke. Two of them were like this one. If you like the Partagas flavors, I recommend trying this cigar. It does not get much more straight forward Partagas than this. I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar...maybe it was just my mood. However, I do have to dock some points for the tight draw, so we'll just call it an A- (90-91).

» Nice review! :ok:

» Any thoughts on a comparison between the PdPN1 and other mainstream

» partagas sticks? Just curious.

I find most of the Partagas marca to be rather complex. The Seleccion Privada No. 1 and the Serie du Conn. No. 1 seem to be the most complex. However, even the PSD4 and the PSP2 have fairly high levels of complexity. While this was a rich smoke, it was not complex. Very straight forward...very Partagas. That is the biggest difference to me. In my experience, it has also been the most full-bodied Partagas that I have smoked, but then I've not had anything pre-1995 either.

Hope that helps.