Punch Black Prince – PAS DIC00

SuperT

Punch Black Prince – PAS DIC00

5 5/8 x 46

This cigar was very firm to the touch with a hard spot under the band. It was absolutely stunning to look at and appeared almost ‘box pressed’ and squared.

I clipped the cigar with my Xikar Multi-tool and took a prelight draw. It was firm and very sweet – sugar cane sweet. I toasted the foot and took a puff. It was a VERY firm draw, I thought it was going to be alright, but proved to be wrong. My initial impression was it was bready and woody, but unmistakably Cuban (that ‘twang’ that only Cubans possess).

The draw was too firm, and I tried massaging the band area of the cigar – I knew I didn’t want to miss out on this (it was a gift from a PIF) as it was my first BP and my only one in the humidor. The burn was SLOW, medium to dark gray ash that was firm and held on well. After the first ½ inch or so I decided it needed a little poke (don’t you always massage first then poke it???). I took my cigar poker and went in from the un-lit end through the cigar in a few spots, being careful not to puncture the sides. This finally worked – relief setting in as I could enjoy the last 5 inches with a decent draw.

One word to describe this cigar from the get-go is SMOOTH! It was evident it had a few years in the humidor. The woodiness and breadiness continued along with a sweet spice dancing in the background. Even after I poked it, I had to double-puff it to get a mouthful of smoke and I worried it would burn hot (it did not).

As I finished smoking the first inch and into the second, the ash held on FIRM (much more so than most Cubans as I find them typically flakey and weak compared to most NCs). The spice continued to pick up as the breadiness faded and the woodiness continued. I finally rolled the ash as I didn’t want it all over my shirt and I only had to do this 3 more times while smoking this cigar.

The cigar continued to progress and gain strength. The spice continued as toasty and slight dark chocolate hints seeped through. Around the half way point it really came into it’s stride and became a stellar smoke. It remained toasty, sweet spicy with a titch of dark chocolate and nuts the remainder of the cigar.

It burned well, not razor sharp – but it didn’t require any touch ups or relights.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable cigar that seems to be overshadowed by it’s sister the Punch Punch. If I had to pick one to stock in my humidor, it’d be the Punch Punch, but this was still incredibly satisfying and something I may pick up in the future.

On a scale of 1-100, it’d be a solid 89-90 for me. Great cigar and I am thankful for the opportunity to have smoked it.