Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2 (NOV04)

cigardawg

Moving on to the next Habanos in line from last weekend.

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2 (NOV04)

This was a solid looking cigar. The wrapper was a chocolate-reddish-brown, very deep and oily. There were no significant veins and the seams were almost invisible. The triple cap was a little sloppy, but all-in-all a very attractive cigar. The pre-light nose was mild, primarily of mild wood (like balsa???) with a hint of leather. I clipped (as always) and the pre-light draw was just about right.

After lighting, the draw stayed good and open. Each puff produced sufficient, though not obscene amounts of smoke. The smoke was a bit thin, but not too bad. The cigar burned even for the most part, requiring only one minor touch up due to a small crack in the wrapper. The smoke was cool down to the nub. The ash was a light gray and was quite firm. Pretty well constructed cigar.

The Epicure No. 2 was a straight-away medium bodied smoke. It had great woody notes both in the smoke and on the finish. The woody notes were not overpowering and mingled well with some herbal and leather notes that reared up doing the smoke. There was a bit of creaminess trying to come through, but it never really made it.

Smoked this cigar in the early afternoon...just perfect time for it. Not my favorite, but not bad either. I give it a nice B+ (87-89).

Nice review.

My buddy gave me a handfull of them a couple of months back.

I agree with your b+ rating. I found them to be a bit more towards full than medium in body. I have had better (99s). IMHO The recent sticks (04s) are just not up to snuff. I was kind of dissapointed.:no: