Partagas Serie D #4 OEG Factory Code Review

Today I had the opportunity to smoke a fan and one of my, personal favorites, the Partagas Serie D #4. This one is from a 10-pack with an OEG factory code and a box date of April 2023, which I received 3/19/24. Since then, they’ve been sitting in a Cuban-specific humidor at 69 RH. Last week I switched this one and the others to a 65 RH. I had one from this batch back in early April 2024, and it was quite 'mongrelly'. So much so, that I couldn’t finish it, which is a rare occurrence for the favored PDS4. 

With today’s smoke, I noticed the flavors have begun to even out on some, especially in comparison to the one I had back in early April. This signals to me early hope for a good batch. The one from today still had some kick, which I can appreciate. More aging in the humidor will continue to do this batch well. 

20 minutes before smoking, I ate a thin slice of carrot cake, and following it with the PSD4 was such a delight. Entering the first third, there wasn’t a stark contrast in the palate of the two, but it was more like two episodes in a well-done television series: sufficient continuity between the two, appreciable/discernible differences, and yet somehow, the former enhances the latter and vice versa. To drink throughout this session I had cold brewed iced green tea with no sugar or anything else added. That paired well too; it cleansed the palate and the subtle green tea notes popped against the PSD4. Going into the second third, the only downside to this experience was the burn line, which was wonky due to the wind. I encountered some canoeing before I had to be more hands-on with rectifying the issue. Despite the gnarly burn issues, the ash held tight. Once I tightened things up, it was good flavors and smooth sailing. The last third was sublime in the PSD4 way I’m used to. Quite a bit of nicotine hit on last third. No pics of the last third, as I was too focused on extracting all the goodness I could out of this one after fixing the burn issue. 

Pre-light 

IMG_7246.jpeg.31c88a105d5e5a6af3c8841c65c40086.jpeg

Entering first third 

IMG_7248.jpeg.a3ea8c2ffe64ffc2b64b8ae204508f00.jpeg

Burn issues and whatnot

IMG_7249.jpeg.10eefa3d5aad8276855a158146cfc65d.jpeg

Artistic flare with a side of canoeing

IMG_7254.jpeg.c673e8df0f761320dcf2c5daff1c821f.jpeg

Handy new cigar stand

IMG_7252.jpeg.8c6d05186f9aad941011ab0bb5b4a677.jpeg

• Like 3