Removing plastic taste from cigars

I bought a small 28ltr wineadore type humidor about 6 months ago.

I cleaned it down with baking soda etc and put it into use. I generally used it to store boxes but had a loose tray on singles on the bottom shelf.

I've smoked a couple from this shelf and they had a slight plasticky taste to them, I believe.

The humidor never really got rid of the plastic smell entirely, it was more just masked by the smell of the cigars and the cedar, but after tasting these cigars I have decided to go to town on getting rid of the smell entirely. 

Fortunately there was only around 20 cigars on that shelf, and none of them were Cubans. (I'm kind of hoping the Cubans in boxes weren't affected as they were at least in boxes.)

But my actual question is; is it possible to clear out the smell/taste of plastic etc from a cigar, once it has been absorbed? Or are these cigars for the bin now?

I've done a search on here about this, but everything is just about how to get rid of the plastic smell in the humidor, which I have been sorting now for over a week. but I am more concerned with whether the cigars themselves can be saved.

Has anyone had any experience with this happening? 

Thanks in advance.

No direct experience trying to get the taste out of the cigars themselves. I would isolate and surround with cedar strips. Wait at least 30-60 days and then try one and see.  

On the wineador itself, you probably have seen other posts, but when I first went to large Coleman coolers, the rock solid advice I came across was stuffing them with crumpled newspaper for a week or so. Swap out every couple of days. 

7 hours ago, sdlaird said:

No direct experience trying to get the taste out of the cigars themselves. I would isolate and surround with cedar strips. Wait at least 30-60 days and then try one and see.  

On the wineador itself, you probably have seen other posts, but when I first went to large Coleman coolers, the rock solid advice I came across was stuffing them with crumpled newspaper for a week or so.  Swap out every couple of days.  

Cheers for the reply.

I did the baking soda thing when I got it, to the point it was caked in white powder, then brushed it off. And this week I've had it out in the sun for a full day, and about 4 days rammed full of newspaper, so I'm on it, when it comes to getting rid of the smell. Will take your advice and switch out the newspaper for a few more days though.

Having just assessed the trays though, I've noticed that they stink of plastic too. Wondering if there is a way to remove the smell from wood, or whether I should just ram them back in the humidor and then stuff with more newspaper. Or whether maybe leaving the trays out in the wind might be better the begin with.

Having put the affected cigars in a tupperdor a day or so ago, I just removed the lid, and the plastic smell coming from the cigars is pretty grim.

Pretty concerned about all the boxes of Cubans that were in there as well, tbh.

If anyone round here knows about removing the scent/taste from cigars in these kind of circumstances, would be glad to know of what can be done, if anything.

Thanks again.

The off gassing of plastic smell is a tough one but the exposure to UV and heat make the off gassing go quicker. Sunshine on a hot day helps. Just leave it open. As to the trays, try sunshine / heat as well. They will need to be humidified again but the volatiles that make up the plastic smell need to be broken down / off gassed from whatever material they are in.

As to the cigars I would guess that a long period in some good cedar trays, checking them on occasion, is probably the only reasonable way to try and get rid of the smell.

Activated carbon in the wineador with nothing else will capture the VOCs as well. Obviously don’t use it with cigars in place.