All My Cigars Are Singles. Humidor choice?

AllorNothing

Hey, in Canada we have these green paper liberal boxes which I throw out. So all my cigars end up being stored as singles. Which humidor is best for this? 

Looking at the newair and raching models, and I’m wondering if I can even stack singles 7-8 rows high given how deep the depth of the shelves are?? 

I only have about 200 cigars now filling two small humidors with shelving. Thinking for the near future…what happens when I have 1000 single cigars. Seems pretty ridiculous to store all as singles, doesn’t it?

Would I have to buy wooden boxes? Make my own? Any ideas? Who the hell wants to store 1000+ cigars of different marcas all together. What a nightmare!

Buy a box of cigars, bundle them together with a ribbon and then chuck out the offending box. Now you have wheels of cigars to store.

If you have no issues with temp, buy a bunch of Bovedas or RH crystals and get 100L air tight plastic tubs.

6 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Buy a box of cigars, bundle them together with a ribbon and then chuck out the offending box. Now you have wheels of cigars to store.

If you have no issues with temp, buy a bunch of Bovedas or RH crystals and get 100L air tight plastic tubs.

Solid idea, didn’t think of that?

What kind of wood are cab boxes made of?

5 hours ago, AllorNothing said:

What kind of wood are cab boxes made of?

Usually Spanish cedar plywood. There are a few different sellers of custom boxes made of plywood or solid Spanish cedar. Costs range from $40-$85 each. I would either use ribbon and make wheels or if you have the tooling make your own boxes. You can dovetail, rabbit, biscuit, box etc. Or just do a 45bdegree miter or even simpler a butt corner. Table saw makes things significantly easier, especially when making multiples.

You can also make them out of acrylic which brings the costs way down, unless you can get 4ftx8ft Spanish cedar plywood local.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hangten said:

These trays work well for me

Mantello Cigars Spanish Cedar Cigar Tray - Adjustable Divider, Fits Large Humidors, for Humidor or Walk-in Closet 12.5" x 7.5"x 2.25" https://a.co/d/iREiGzX

Seconding this. I have a Newair electric humidor and use a pair of these on the top shelf to organize all my singles.

Check out Canada Humidor, they are based in Calgary. They have the same trays as posted above. I have ordered quite a few Spanish cedar humidor trays from them. Very prompt delivery. I have them in Sterilite gasket boxes which are great for storing singles and boxes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AllorNothing said:

Would I have to buy wooden boxes? Make my own? Any ideas? Who the hell wants to store 1000+ cigars of different marcas all together. What a nightmare 

Maybe you could ask a fellow aficionado to send you empty boxes from abroad?

Stop buying cigars in Canada, the prices are stupid and the packaging is worse. Problem solved. For those that don’t know, something like a P2 is $80 or so at a B&M here. Its not even reasonable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chitmo said:

Stop buying cigars in Canada, the prices are stupid and the packaging is worse. Problem solved. For those that don’t know, something like a P2 is $80 or so at a B&M here. Its not even reasonable 

😳

2 minutes ago, jazzboypro said:

For me it is virtually impossible to not get hit by customs who charges  300%+ of the value of the cigars. The $500 US cigar box (25 cigars) becomes a $2384.20 CAD cigar box according to this calculator. It's just not viable (for me)

https://www.cigarduties.ca/

That’s not completely accurate, shoot me a DM if you’d like to chat. 

Honestly, if you can’t get some old cigar boxes, then your best bet is to store them altogether in gallon size thick ziplock bags and then store them in a humidor, ice cooler, or windedor. I’m not a fan of leaving single cigars in cedar trays. Trust me, over the long term they will lose flavor. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chitmo said:

Stop buying cigars in Canada, the prices are stupid and the packaging is worse. Problem solved. For those that don’t know, something like a P2 is $80 or so at a B&M here. Its not even reasonable.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. I pay consistently CAD $800 to $1.2k per box. And I smoke one cigar per day. 

I have not seen any alternatives to buying outside of Canada that there is a significant price difference to be worth while. 

5 hours ago, AllorNothing said:

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. I pay consistently CAD $800 to $1.2k per box. And I smoke one cigar per day. 

I have not seen any alternatives to buying outside of Canada that there is a significant price difference to be worth while. 

Take more vacations, find a mule or take your chances with customs roulette. I’ll be honest though, I wouldn’t smoke if I had to pay Canadian money to do it. The amount of tax doesn’t even make sense and the packaging is stupid. It’s really hard to give people advice on this one, it varies a lot based on situation and means. 

15 hours ago, Chitmo said:

Data point: best online price for a P2 in the UK is about £37, £42 in a London B&M. Thankfully still with proper bands.

5 hours ago, chutiste said:

Data point: best online price for a P2 in the UK is about £37, £42 in a London B&M. Thankfully still with proper bands.

It’s absolutely ridiculous here, without even looking at the data I’d say Canada is top 3 most expensive places in the world for cigars. 

On 2/13/2024 at 7:11 AM, Sandman said:

Honestly, if you can’t get some old cigar boxes, then your best bet is to store them altogether in gallon size thick ziplock bags and then store them in a humidor, ice cooler, or windedor. I’m not a fan of leaving single cigars in cedar trays. Trust me, over the long term they will lose flavor. 

I’ve never heard that storing cigars long term in cedar trays will cause them to lose flavor. Not disagreeing, just new info to me.

17 hours ago, bmac said:

I’ve never heard that storing cigars long term in cedar trays will cause them to lose flavor. Not disagreeing, just new info to me.

I have plenty of experience with this, as I have smoked plenty of the same exact cigars that sat in my staebel humidor in open trays, and ones that were in kept in boxes. And I’m talking 15 -20 years of age. Please trust me, the ones in trays will lose flavor, and richness . Also, if I remember MRN mentioned this also on ICC back in the day, and that’s why he keeps his singles in plastic also, also his boxes if I’m not mistaken. The cigars in my trays are all now in single cigar baggies, or some have been transferred to empty cabs and stored in a humidor. 

• Thanks 1