Spada Gorda Fourth Tasting (FEBW1)

TacoSauce

MOFOH Spada Gorda (++): This is the 4th spada gorda I've tried. Details on the first three can be found here. To summarize, 2 out of the 3 were epically sour to the point that they were tough to smoke; the third was a sweet, musty, delightful chimney with no sourness whatsoever. The stick I am smoking here didn't come from my bundle, but instead was sourced from a fellow FOHer. I thought this was a good way to try one of these from a different bundle to see how the profile was similar or different to my bundle. Both the cold draw and the pre-light aroma had a noticeable amount of that Virginia pipe tobacco note that seems present with most of the Spada Gordas. After lighting, the body is just over medium and I get strong leather and quite a bit of sourness -- but it doesn't manifest as citrus juice as I have experienced in the past. After the first half-inch the sourness settles down into a sourdough-like flavor with only a hint of citrus.

image.jpeg.433d7326443995d57aef3af77451726c.jpeg

(Look at the ash: the concentric burn lines were so tightly packed that it looks like a smooth cylinder. That's good construction!)

This profile of leather, sourdough and bread crust is consistent until the end. Construction and burn were perfect and I absolutely love the size of this cigar. The experience with this cigar was appreciably different compared to the three I had from my own bundle and seems to align better with the descriptions posted by others on the forum. I'm guessing that this is the Spada Gorda in its true form and I like it. My bundle likely got a double dose of whatever tobacco lends that sourdough flavor and ended up pushing the blend too far in that direction.

• Like 4

Interesting review. Thanks. Of all the nudie / mofo lines, the SG is the one I’ve not yet completely warmed to. Got a lesser amount of the citrus note you picked up. I’m leaving them rest for a couple months longer and see what happens. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MagicalBikeRide said:

I’m leaving them rest for a couple months longer and see what happens. 

I'm doing the same with the remainder of my bundle. I'll keep sampling at 2-month intervals and see what has changed.

• Like 1