Humidor cleaning - Mold

JonasTheSwede

Hi friends!

I have a new humidor cabinet and have detected some mold on several cigars. Feels like a thorough cleaning is warranted. How do I go about this? Have read that a special kind of alcohol rubbing is required followed by distilled water. Do you have any instructions you can point me in the direction of?

Thanks!

Jonas

Isopropyl alcohol is what is usually recommended.Though hydrogen peroxide is more effective in killing mold. You can also give the humidor a light sanding, which will remove stains and mold that has gone below the surface. Once sanded, vacuum out the dust and give it a quick wipe down.

If you do use isopropyl alcohol, do not use 90-100%, as 70% is more effective due to the water content allowing the alcohol to penetrate the cell walls.The slower evaporation helps to allow a longer contact time.

But before you go to all this trouble, are you sure the mold wasn't on the cigars in the first place?

Thanks a bunch for this! 

The cigars that had mold came with the cabinet, but no visible signs of mold in the cabinet itself. 

How do I go about wiping down the cabinet with isopropyl alcohol? And do I need to “wipe” the alcohol off with distilled water afterwards?

Thank you so much in advance!

Regards

Jonas

Just dampen a cloth with the alcohol and wipe down the cabinet. No need to wipe with distilled water after, as the alcohol will evaporate. Then re-season your humidor and you're good to go.

If it smells musty, air it in the open and let the sun shine in it. Sunlight will kill mold.