RyJ Belicosos

Romero y Julietta Belicosos 
(Date and box code not known)
Brought in Cambridge last month

tl;dr - first time for this stick but best standard production I've had in a long while (maybe ever). Perfect draw and construction, with a lighter more woody profile than other RyJ blends (i.e. the Churchill series)

Taste 9
Draw 10
Burn 9
Build 10
Overall 9.5 

++++

This was a wonderful surprise! I'm a big fan of RyJ which got me back into cigars a few years ago. Some people speak rather dismissively about Romeo's, usually seeing them as a 'starters blend' to be moved on from. I have always loved their profile and find them a firm go to (usually the Churchill series or the Petit Royales for a short smoke).

Knew I was in for a treat from the dry drawer which was perfect and continued to be so throughout. 

After toasting the burn was razor sharp down for a good inch and half, with a lovely compact stacked ash - one of the many reasons I love RyJ is that they build their cigars beautifully! Similar ash breaking off neatly into thirds for the smoke. Only gave one minor touch up towards the end as I had been chatting too much but nothing I would knock off points for. 

Flavour was lovely and a tad lighter than other RyJs I had. Body light to medium until the last third where it built to medium. Strength medium. Cool throughout. Beautiful light woody notes with some sweet biscuity character coming through more as it went on. Felt closer to the tubed series blend than the Churchill series (which has more oomph and stone fruit notes)

Paired with a couple pints of Fuller's Spring Golden Ale which balanced the cigar wonderfully. Brewers notes below.

Highly recommended. Would buy a box. My new favourite RyJ and best standard production cigar I've had in ages. Also loved the belicosos format. 

-hf1f4i.jpg

t095ri.jpg

-mbdbz8.jpg

Screenshot_20220423_141225.jpg

Screenshot_20220423_141243.jpg

• Like 4