Nespresso, the good, the bad, the ugly

Meesterjojo

Really not as dramatic as the title suggests. 

I just purchased an original line nespresso citiZ and a slew of pods to try, and I'm curious if anyone has direct experience with this machine (there is a wild number of machines), or any other original line nespresso. 

My reasoning is that I already own a technovorm, which is a hand built moka drip brewer. I also own the rare (for the US) krups moka drip brewer. I want something faster, something where I don't waste as much coffee. Something with a more intense flavor. I also recall being served a nespresso coffee at a restaurant back in Houston some years ago and thought it quite good. I'm no aficionado. 

Can anyone recommend any non nespresso brand pods? Tips or tricks? I figured some folks around here would be of a similarly mindset. Wanting something small but intense to have with their smokes. 

Difference Coffee in the UK is the absolute apex of Nespresso-type pods. Not cheap... But the reason I've kept the machine around is to have special occasion shots from them. Also a Technivorm & Phillips superauto owner.

Difference pods I tried with Eddie at Davidoff London for the first time--a Kopi Luwak. Also have tried their Kona, Geisha, Jamaican. They do a Brazilian every now and then which is quite close to Nespresso pod cost (~$2, vs the $7+ of above).

For more everyday, haven't tried, but there are biodegradable options from The Pod Lab, Volcano Coffee Works, Novell, Dualit, Artizan.

Only tip would be, for each pod, I usually do a pre and post shot of just water to clean the machine.

Nespresso pods that I regularly buy are; Kazaar, Napoli, Arpeggio, Stockholm, Shanghai and Tokyo.

Haven't found any third party pods that I would buy regularly.

Pre-rinsing to heat and clean is a good tip. Regular cleaning and descaling is important, and always let the machine heat up fully. On some of the older machines you could start the brew cycle before it fully heats up (while the button is flashing).