Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona RAE ABR 14 (RASLRRW)

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

The RGPC is a cigar that unequivocally deserves more representation in my regular rotation. Unfortunately, I find that they're decent fresh (within the first year), then largely unappealing and harsh until about the five year mark. Then they blossom. And in the meantime, my attention is drawn elsewhere and I forget about them in the back of the humidor. I recently rediscovered this box and have smoked four in the past week alone. They have become spectacular.

The wrappers are a deep, chocolate colorado color, with a smooth texture and a nice sheen. The construction is firm, spongey, and consistent. Once lit, the draw is perfect - firm but easy. And the ash grows into a perfect gray stack of dimes.

IMG_20190831_220251.thumb.jpg.61aae9408325b8e51c979e1fca6c8319.jpg

The flavors are rich, deep, balanced, and smooth from the first draw. It begins with notes of savory cream, like salted buttermilk, on top of a lightly woody base. And the aroma off the foot is rich with salted almond. By the end of the first third, the wood aspect has become sharper and more prominent, but is balanced by a driftwood saltiness. There are also occasional flashes of berry sweetness that add additional interest.

The middle third sees an evolution of the wood flavor into something more like dry leather. And the savory dairy note dissipates. But the salty mineral character remains, while the aroma more closely resembles driftwood. Still extremely smooth and easy on the palate.

The performance has been impeccable.

The final third sees the evolution toward a purely driftwood profile come to completion, as that is now the predominant flavor. There is, however, an addition of a light, roasted coffee bean note. It's the coffee bean that grows sharper and leaves a long finish, but eventually burns itself out in the final inch. For less than five dollars per stick, this is easily a 94 or 95 point cigar to me. 

IMG_20190831_225232.thumb.jpg.512fc673e24ce8a84e47dffd629b7347.jpg

Sounds like aging brings out that salty almond and driftwood character. Great review!