Partagas Lusitania 1998 (PAWRC) 

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

One of the things that I appreciate about these review weekends is that they remind me to dig out cigars that aren't in my regular rotation or that I've set aside for some "special occasion." Well, it's a beautiful Saturday evening and I have a couple of hours free, so this is a special enough occasion to light up a Lusitania that's now old enough to order a drink. 

This is a single that I picked up in a box pass, thanks to @Projectal

The cold aroma is light and papery, but a nice sweet nutmeg note comes off the foot. The wrapper is medium colorado and slightly rustic, with some bunching around the veins. The construction feels firm, if a little inconsistent. Once lit, it gives a perfect draw with just the right resistance. The ash is grainy, grey, and otherwise perfect.

IMG_20190817_202207.thumb.jpg.9ca4869d923956e6f7745ce32d5c1443.jpg

The first inch or so is pretty muted. It starts out with a light, woody base and some dry mineral notes that I generally associate with vintage Cuban tobacco. That basic profile holds through the first half. There isn't much in the way of body or strength.

The performance has been impeccable though.

Around the midpoint it begins to warm up a bit. Some sharp baking spice and red pepper show up to compliment the wood, while the mineral note is gone. From there, it really picks up. The smoke takes on some depth and leaves an oily finish, and the aroma smells like leather and browned butter.

In the last two inches, the salty red pepper really comes to the forefront before the smoke heats up and I have to put it down. This has been completely different from what I've come to expect from post-'08 Lusis, but it's been a fantastic treat and a nice reminder of why I fell in love with Cubans back in the late-'90s.

Score: eh, let's call it 94.