Hoyo De Monterrey Ep 2 Cabinet 1998 (PRRRW)

Since I never had written a review before prior to my BRC review, I decided to pull another cigar from my “Cuban experiment”.  Please refer to my Bolivar Royal Corona review https://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/139626-bolivar-royal-corona-1998-prrrw/ which explains what my experiment is and why I don't have my box codes. 

20190602.thumb.jpg.81fc89bb87cba8ac9268cf25e2c491d6.jpg

This particular box of cigars was born sometime in the early 90’s prior to the upward swing of cigar popularity but since I started my experiment in 1998, I’ll just use that year as the reference date.  Out of all my boxes within the experiment collection this box was the best of them all.  Got lucky, blessed, hit the cigar lotto, this cigar has just aged and gotten better.   I personally don’t know what a 100-point cigar tastes like, but this cigar is near the top in my mind and I’ll start this review by stating this cigar is a 97.

Pre-Light

Here is a beautiful milk chocolate brown colored cigar with tight and visible seams with a beautiful sheen to it(apologize for the poor photo my cell phone overexposes too much, doesn’t do the look of this cigar justice).  It’s a firm packed cigar with a great Cuban hay/cocoa sweet aroma.  The draw has just the slightest amount resistance.

First Third

An earth, mild chocolate, “Blue bottle” coffee flavor profile, all melded in perfect harmony.  A light/medium body with medium finish with a ever so slight hint of spice.  The burn line is a little wavy with a light grey ash.  Total time is about 14 mins.

Halfway

The flavors remain consistent from the first third but become more concentrated, delicate and all so complicatedly smooth.  It’s a cigar that is delicate in presenting those flavors while dazzling my olfactory nerves.   This cigar is a medium body cigar with no strength to speak of.  The burn is still wavy, but no touch ups were necessary.  Total time is about 29 mins.

Final Third

This cigar finishes with a smooth earthy/Kahlua creamy profile without the sweetness.  A medium body, medium finish and no strength at the end.  Total time 49 mins.

I unfortunately don’t possess the writing skills to give this cigar it’s proper credit.  The robusto vitola is my favorite size and HDM generally isn’t my favorite Cuban, but this cigar is a true treasure.  Though I doubt Cubans will ever be to standards of earlier years due to upward pressure of the cigar market, they are slowly returning to decent quality levels.  With a little time and rest perhaps another diamond in the rough will be discovered by you.    

*NOTE- In all the commotion at my local cigar lounge after I mentioned what I was smoking I forgot to take pictures of the cigar.  Perhaps I’ll break out another just to take photos.  “Resistance is Futile”

• Like 3