Fakes in Cuba

His sister comes into the bar and hugs her brother before giving you a kiss on the cheek  and a sultry hello. You are on your 8th Mojito now.  Such a lovely family.  She is hot. They warn you not to buy off the spruikers on the street. You have just won the lottery falling in with this crew. You ask them out for dinner, they agree and ask if you would like them to bring some LE's with them.  You agree. 

He's lucky he didn't Wake up at morning in an ice bath with his organs cut out

2beeb7b279fb31050bc764a4361c8361.jpg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I suppose on the island there will be some fakes that are simply stolen regular production, I was any to say it probably depends on security at a factory on how many they can steal, but if management is involved I guess it's more about changing the paperwork than much else?

If you have very good contacts you will get any production cigar, the real thing, no problem.
But: (Mostly) No band on it and no boxes for them. Just the real thing.
But I am talking you've made friends over the years that you trust and know what to look for. 

There are a few boxes stolen in-transit from the factory to the warehouse or inside the factory, but : They would lack the paperwork and seals. And tourists do not have the factory contacts needed to get those few boxes.
But there was a big robbery where mastercases of MC 80 destined for the Guanabacoa warehouse were stolen and replaced with stones having the same weight ... Now those boxes had all the required paperwork and proper seals.
If you happen to be lucky and be offered those you are lucky, but it's highly doubtful they ended up in the streets of old Havana.
And you still don't have a Factura to take them out w/o problems.

The fake boxes industry is just that, an industry that has long been peddling fake cigars and produces also fake boxes, seals and stamps. Has been around for years and accounts I guess for 90 to 95% of fake boxes offered in varying quality.
The rollers work in "Chinchales" or from home using whatever raw material there is. Remember there is no free market where to buy tobacco leaves. So whatever material there is will be used. Russian roulette.

The question once again is : Why fly to Cuba and pay real money to buy/smoke fake cigars ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my trip to Cuba the hawkers of fakes were numerous. There were a lot of cigar festivals on it my few days in Havana! I found the easiest way to be left alone was to tell them you don't smoke. Gave up pretty quickly then.

I hate to admit it but I did what your friend did. At the time I rarely smoked cigars. A client gave me 1300 US$ to buy two boxes of Cohiba. I thought this was crazy but I would help him out, which I did. I also thought at the time I would help this guy out by getting him an extra box with a reduced savings....30$ a box at the resort.

Once back home I gave him his cigars and the bonus box which he was quite happy to get. He gave me three cigars from each box. I was HOOKED and schooled that under no circumstances regardless of how good the story sounds DO NOT BUY cigars anywhere other then LCDH.

My original comment was complete sarcasm