Peninsula Hotel in Makati, Metro Manila, Philippines

I just got back from a two week vacation in the Philippines. During my trip, I stopped by the Peninsula Hotel in Makati, Metro Manila. According to the Habanos website, it’s the only LCDH in the Philippines. Indeed, I couldn’t find any Cubans anywhere else in Manila, not even the airport duty free shops.

Unfortunately, the Peninsula has a very limited selection of Cubans. Mostly Cohibas, HU, HDM, RyJ, and Montes. No regional editions, and the only limited editions were RyJ Capuletos. No aged cigars, too. Prices are sky high (around $100 USD for one Esplendido). I bought one Cohiba Siglo IV ($70 USD) and one Capuleto ($50 USD). I didn’t smoke at the lounge because that would mean angry wife and kids.

On my final night, I stayed at the Marriott Resorts World, near Ninoy Aquino International Airport. The bar sells only Philippine cigars and allows smoking outside in the patio. I didn’t try any of the cigars there because Manila is still hot and humid even in December-January. 

$1250 per box of Capuletos? Whoa that's intense. It seems that either Cuban cigars, or cigars in general, aren't very popular or they are ridiculously overpriced as a result of over-taxation. On the other hand, Hong Kong and Macau I've heard have excellent selections. Even vintage pre-Castro, '60s, 70s, 80s, you name it. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2019 at 10:04 PM, omgpauljr said:

I just got back from a two week vacation in the Philippines. During my trip, I stopped by the Peninsula Hotel in Makati, Metro Manila. According to the Habanos website, it’s the only LCDH in the Philippines. Indeed, I couldn’t find any Cubans anywhere else in Manila, not even the airport duty free shops.

Unfortunately, the Peninsula has a very limited selection of Cubans. Mostly Cohibas, HU, HDM, RyJ, and Montes. No regional editions, and the only limited editions were RyJ Capuletos. No aged cigars, too. Prices are sky high (around $100 USD for one Esplendido). I bought one Cohiba Siglo IV ($70 USD) and one Capuleto ($50 USD). I didn’t smoke at the lounge because that would mean angry wife and kids.

On my final night, I stayed at the Marriott Resorts World, near Ninoy Aquino International Airport. The bar sells only Philippine cigars and allows smoking outside in the patio. I didn’t try any of the cigars there because Manila is still hot and humid even in December-January. 

What was the Peninsula's cigar lounge like? Doesn't sound like it's worth visiting, especially since I travel with my own sticks. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 5:44 AM, MigsG said:

What was the Peninsula's cigar lounge like? Doesn't sound like it's worth visiting, especially since I travel with my own sticks. 

I still go to the Pen, the biggest issue now is you deal with all the cigarette smokers because the bar is the designated smoking area.  During the day, it's fine but at night it gets pretty cigarette-smoky in there.  You can bring your own sticks FYI.  As a hotel guest, I often just go in for a smoke, maybe order a drink.

• Thanks 1