FOH Xmas & New Year Review Comp 2018 Trinidad La Trova MUP SEP 18

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

This example of the La Trova is a fairly typical looking cigar, perhaps slightly less tidy than most Fundadores. The wrapper is a pleasant tawny colorado claro, thin and stretched taut. There is some wrinkling of the wrapper on the seams. The cold aroma is mildly leathery and musty. It ignites easily, leading to a slightly open draw, and considerable smoke output, which I would expect from a cigar with this girth. The burn is excellent, making a clean, gray stack of dimes ash.

IMG_20181227_180612.thumb.jpg.bb9c5b642a22fd71f2617827dac1c9fe.jpg

The La Trova starts off with a mild savory leather profile; the body at the outset is not quite medium. By the end of the first third, the smoke has really blossomed though, becoming rich and complex. There are notes of truffle oil and salted butter. A sea salt twang is sharp through the nose.

By the midpoint, it's obvious that what others have pointed out it true - the construction is notably excellent, despite the freezing temperatures I'm smoking in; the La Trova is holding up far better than my fingers. It seems that great care really was taken with these.

Throughout the second third, the profile doesn't evolve exactly. The same basic flavors are present, but they build such depth that they develop distinct characteristics. The truffle and butter twang broadens to take on a sour note and become reminiscent of pungent sourdough bread dough.

As the La Trova burns into the final third, the smoke has become almost overwhelmingly rich. The body has picked up to easily medium-plus. The savory sour note has become so heavy that it's almost irritating to retrohale. And the truffle has become concentrated into a pure umami flavor. The base flavor has become slightly earthier as it picks up heat, conferring a mushroom aspect.

Tabacuba has apparently made a real effort with this cigar, and it has paid dividends. The Trinidad DNA that's exemplified by the Fundadore - savory mushroom, truffle, and leather to my palate - is present here in spades. But to that DNA is added a layer of complexity and elegance that I wouldn't have expected - the butter, sourdough, and salty twang. This really is an accomplished blend, showing off what's great about Trinidad, and adding to it in a way that compliments the profile rather than muddling it.