Taiwan Duty Free

I've been living in Taiwan for the last 1.5 years, and yes Taiwan cigar prices are ridiculous. but Taiwan is not alone in this. I think any cigars that are sold through Pacific Cigar Divan (PCD) are stupid over priced. The Casa Del Habanos in Hong Kong is run by the PCD and on a recent trip I picked up a few sticks - 6 to be exact - and for what I paid you could buy the box H Upmann No 2's in today's 24/24. Liquor on the other hand is dirt cheap in Taiwan (unlike the rest of South East Asia and Australia), Knob Creek is $950 NT or 25 USD vs $35 to $40 in Oregon. 1.5l Kirkland vodka which I think is pretty tasty $14 USD. Thank you to FOH for keeping pricing real and the quality awesome!

Funny thing about the cigar prices is that I don't think it is taxation as cigarettes (not that I smoke) are cheap here, like $2 USD a pack.

• Like 1

Another here concurring on the silliness of Taiwan duty free prices.  Cigar selection is minimal, poorly stored, and spectacularly expensive.  Like Andy04 I did find some utility in shopping for Taiwanese whiskeys, but even then once those started making it to the U.S. I found that the prices here were the same as at duty free, so why bother with the schlepp?

My other duty free shop stop is usually HKG, but they've really raised prices there as well.  5 years ago I was willing to pay more when on the road and needed a gift box, but prices have doubled since then and $60 for a PSD4 is just wrong.  I still buy from local shops when in HKG, just to support the effort of keeping the store open, and you don't mind the extra charge so much when it's in a well kept, comfy space like the Red Chamber.

8 hours ago, PapaDisco said:

Another here concurring on the silliness of Taiwan duty free prices.  Cigar selection is minimal, poorly stored, and spectacularly expensive.  Like Andy04 I did find some utility in shopping for Taiwanese whiskeys, but even then once those started making it to the U.S. I found that the prices here were the same as at duty free, so why bother with the schlepp?

My other duty free shop stop is usually HKG, but they've really raised prices there as well.  5 years ago I was willing to pay more when on the road and needed a gift box, but prices have doubled since then and $60 for a PSD4 is just wrong.  I still buy from local shops when in HKG, just to support the effort of keeping the store open, and you don't mind the extra charge so much when it's in a well kept, comfy space like the Red Chamber.

Duty Free shopping for booze and cigars as a great deal is (at most airports anyway) part of a bygone era. 

5 hours ago, Naug said:

Duty Free shopping for booze and cigars as a great deal is (at most airports anyway) part of a bygone era. 

Yeah, as an 8-year old in the 60's I remember, on a trip through the Bahamas, my Dad stopping to purchase a classy Girard Perregaux automatic (with alarm!) because of the duty free deals back then.

1 hour ago, PapaDisco said:

Yeah, as an 8-year old in the 60's I remember, on a trip through the Bahamas, my Dad stopping to purchase a classy Girard Perregaux automatic (with alarm!) because of the duty free deals back then.

First time I flew international I was 30 and on my first honeymoon, can't recall paying any attention to the duty free. Today I do maybe 8 international trips a year - not fancy, just to Vietnam, Thailand,or Hong Kong.. all short trips and dirt cheap out of Taiwan. Seems I usually buy a bottle or two of booze at the duty free and that's about it. I do see lots of people browsing the clothing and jewelry shops, can't say I've ever found the prices to be less than Top City or Shin Kong Mitsukoshi.

• Like 1