Ramon Allones Superiores MUR MAR 13: Ode to the 43 to 46 Review Week

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

Dimensions: 46 x 5 5/8"

Box Code: MUR MAR 13

Date Recieved: May 6, 2017

Date Smoked: May 10, 2017

I've had very mixed experiences with the Ramon Allones marca - I've consistently loved the Gigantes (but, then again, I'm a huge homer for DCs so that's not a surprise), been largely indifferent to the SCCs I've had, and am impatiently waiting on my ETP FEB 16 SS to lose some of their rough edges. With a few years of age, that's my favorite robusto. The Superiores is the one vitola I haven't had much experience with. I had a single in Havana a few years back and wasn't impressed, but it was fresh and I was drinking cola ... so, grain of salt and all that. Time to revisit it.

I received a pair of these beauties from a fellow FOHer, and since it had four years on it, I dug right in. And I'm glad I did.

20170525_222204.thumb.jpg.cbd681131082bccfdbafa2220ecf9ccd.jpg

Appearance and Aroma:  This is an attractive corona gorda, with a shiny, medium colorado wrapper. A few prominent veins, but generally shapely. Construction is firm and consistent. The cold aroma is a mild barnyard, with some sugary sweetness to it.

First Third: It lights evenly, producing a perfectly full smoke from a medium draw. The initial profile is all RA DNA - earthy coffee bean and marzipan, with a tangy aroma. The ash is fine and white, but loose and falls after an inch. The flavor becomes smooth and nougaty and the burn line is razor straight. No hint of harshness after four years of aging. 

20170510_211321.thumb.jpg.360b88c8341212edfe4a26d7d29befe3.jpg

Second Third: A bit of pepper emerges in the second third, followed by a unique hint of floral sweetness, with the floral aspect recurring in the aroma. 

Final Third: The final third takes on an earth and wet leather taste and the sweetness diminishes. The aroma remains heady and, for me, is the real treat of this cigar. 

Score: 91