New.... newair cc300 help

Chefalan86

Hey peeps, just a question on conditioning my new purchase. When this unit is delivered on Wednesday, what are my steps to charge it. Reading a lot about a jar of distilled water next to HF beads. I'm all over the place. Over thinking it. I have a load of precious sticks waiting to enter.

Thanks for any and all of your educated help.

Alan

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If all you have is HF beads, I'd just charge them with distilled water and leave them in there for 4-7 days before you add cigars.

Is there anything else? I want the best I can get out of this new set up.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Boveda packs too? I'm overly excited. Have the cooler waiting for when the Newair is filled.

When I got my 281, once I plugged it in, I got a terrible plastic smell. I cleaned it with warm water, baking soda and peroxide and then stuffed it with newspaper and let it sit overnight. I repeated this on the second day I had it as well, until the smell was gone.

Once I put my beads in (at the time I was using HF, now I use HCM), I also loaded it with empty cigar boxes that I sprayed periodically with DW.

When my drawers and shelf arrived, I made sure I went through the seasoning stages and then loaded it up with cigars...slowly. 25 at a time every couple of hours to make sure my humidity was holding.

I have had it for 3-4 years now and I use the HCM beads with a couple Boveda bags in each drawer (for peace of mind).

Note, I have never had to change any of the Boveda bags since I put them in there. If I ever get a drop in humidity, I just stick a shot glass of DW in there for a day or two until it comes back up.

I would put whatever you have in there. An active humidifier like a cigar oasis might work faster. You could also spray or wipe a little distilled water on the wood parts but don't get the wood "wet". Put a hygrometer in there to see where it's at. When I first got mine I mixed baking soda and distilled water into a paste, painted it on with a paint brush and let it dry. Then I cleaned it all off with DW and never smelled like plastic again.

• Like 1

I break mine in with a small Tupperware dish, a brand new unscented unscrunby sponge. I get the sponge soaked and leave about a quarter inch of distilled water in it. Leave it in there for a week. After the week is done put in one and a half pounds beads and cigars, a couple calibrated hygrometers oh yeah and take the sponge out.

Thank you all. I will use some of this great advice. Can't wait!

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Like 1

Ok, received my Newair! Cleaned it well. Plugged it in and put two containers of DW and sponges in it. Waiting for the 4-7 days. Will post as I start to load her up. Also threw in a pair of cedar trays i bought from amazon. Friggin psyched! 4d8ff355febf106e760e949870de269a.jpg

Ok, received my Newair! Cleaned it well. Plugged it in and put two containers of DW and sponges in it. Waiting for the 4-7 days. Will post as I start to load her up. Also threw in a pair of cedar trays i bought from amazon. Friggin psyched! 4d8ff355febf106e760e949870de269a.jpg

Why the hell does the pick post sideways? Need to remember to turn my phone.

Ok, Rh holding steady at 65 and temp is at 64-65. Looking good. Starting to fill it!ae653edd1792dd9a26849a63eb293e0d.jpg

Damm! Tried to fix the rotation and still messed it up! This should work. c0ec5ea087e5660f32b70e236834a354.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question on temp

I have this set up and really love the way it is holding at 66-68%Rh... However, It is in a place where the temperature can drop down to below 60f. This morning I found it at 58f. I did turn unplug the unit so as to not draw in the ambient air and It maintained the temperature nicely, until the climate in the room raised in temp. I noticed as the temp climbed so did the Rh.

I have read that the colder temps.. 65f and below (unless I am misunderstanding it) can promote mold. This is what scares me.

Back to what I was saying.

When I noticed the low temp this morning I removed the moist Heartfelt beads and put in a fresh batch of 70% beads in hopes that as the temperature raises throughout the day I won't have a heavy rise in Rh.

I guess the question I have is... Should I leave this unit plugged in even if the temp is dropping to 60f ? Should I not be concerned about the flux in temp if the Rh is maintaining nicely?

Please, any feedback would be appreciated... Stock is coming in quickly.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

sorry, I just noticed your question.  I found that the summer months with the unit running all the time worked great.  Now that it is much cooler I find that the fan carries too much constant cool air and the RH rises too much.  This is a rough game.  I have a coolador in my closet that seems to hold better and a tupperdor in my work office that does really well.  I gave up on obsessing over it.  Smoke em if you like em.  I may invest in a Mac Daddy Aristocrat designed as a TV stand and call it a day.  Lets hear how yours is treating you.

I keep mine at 70F and around 60RH.

I took all the drawers out and I am down to three shelves, holding boxes only.

I'm in a tropical environment, but since the ambient has cooled down a bit, the winedor doesn't run much.

I have to add a bit of moisture once a month, but it has been holding pretty well.