FORMULA 1 - 2016

Pretty eventful race so far.  Start was gutting for Vettel and Rosberg.  Haas with a double dnf.  Renault with another retirement.  And then Lewis blowing a turbo with a huge lead.

Part of me if hoping for red bull to wipe each other out

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He screwed himself.  No one forced him to drive that aggressively onto the curb.  Did drivers get screwed by the wall in Monaco when they slam into it?  By qualifying everyone knew what the curbs were

Ha Ha

I thought it was a fairly entertaining race. McLaren had some speed, Alonso would would've been a p7 or 8 had he not had that horrific crash. Renault engines, when the work, look to have decent pace

MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX: RICCIARDO WINS INCIDENT PACKED RACE

ricciardo-verstappen

Daniel Ricciardo scored an unlikely and odds defying victory in the Malaysian Grand Prix as he capitalised on opportunities presented to him in an incident packed race at Sepang.

Lewis Hamilton dominated the race, which began with a Turn 1 incident that eliminated Sebastian Vettel on the spot, also involving Max Verstappen and Nico Rosberg.

But on lap 41 it was game over for Hamilton as he came to a halt on the exit of the Turn 1 complex, Mercedes in flames and a certain victory dashed.

This promoted Ricciardo into the lead, with his teammate Verstappen filling his mirrors. The teenager gave it all he had – clearly Multi 21 was not in play – as Verstappen made a ballsy move which nearly stuck.

But Ricciardo was up for the attack, despite running on tyres that were six laps older, he fended off the move which saw the pair wheel-to-wheel through four or five corners.

More was expected as team orders were clearly not on the cards, but Hamilton’s retirement prompted a virtual yellow flag period which resulted in both Red Bull’s pitting.

Thereafter with similar rubber, Ricciardo was untroubled by Verstappen as he powered to his fourth grand prix victory, ahead of his young teammate who gave him a big hug in parc ferme immediately after the race.

daniel ricciardo malaysia winner

The big smiling Aussie told Mark Webber on the podium: “It was a race of challenges, Lewis got the lead and had his problems. I am not one for believing in a whole lot, but it went the other way in Monaco, and I will take this today.”

“It has been two years since the last win, and it has been a bit emotional. We have come so close but I said two weeks ago we would win one and we did,” said Ricciardo.

Verstappen added, “We were pushing the whole race. I am delighted.”

Rosberg, who found himself facing the wrong way in Turn 1, shortly after the start, drove a superb race to recover and claim third place and increase the championship lead to a very useful 23 points over Hamilton..

But it was no cruise for the German as he recovered from last place on track, made his way through the pack. He also survived a 10 second penalty, incurred when he ambushed Kimi Raikkonen (for third) in Turn 2, the pair touching as the Mercedes lunged past through the apex and coming out ahead of the Ferrari.

But Raikkonen did not benefit from the penalty, served on the Mercedes driver, as he was more than ten seconds behind Rosberg as they crossed the finish line and thus had to settle for fourth.

daniel ricciardo malaysia winner verstappen

A superb recovery by Rosberg which may well be the key point of his F1 world title battle with Hamilton, but another bitterly disappointing afternoon for Ferrari.

Rosberg reflected, “I thought the race was all over, so I am really happy to fight back all the way to the podium. I wished for a better day but that is the way it goes sometimes. I feel tired after the race, but it is a good moment in general, and I look forward to the next one.”

Valterri Bottas took advantage of the mayhem ahead of him to claim fifth place for Williams, ahead of Sergio Perez in sixth.

From the back of the grid, Fernando Alonso crossed the line seventh with McLaren teammate Jenson Button ninth, the duo split by Nico Hulkenberg in eighth for Force India.

Jolyon Palmer wounded out the top ten, turning a trouble packed weekend into a carrer first grand prix point.

daniel ricciardo malaysia winner verstappen

Race Report

After a dramatic start in which front-row starter Rosberg was pitched into a spin by Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel, Hamilton looked to have the race firmly under control. But on lap 41, disaster struck when the defending champion’s power unity failed. Ricciardo inherited the lead and 25 laps later the Australian took the chequered flag ahead of team-mate Verstappen for his fifth career win.

Rosberg claimed third place despite dropping to the rear of the field at the start and being hit with a penalty for causing a collision with Raikkonen.

At the start Hamilton made a good getaway and held his advantage over Rosberg. Two rows back Vettel had also made a good start from P5 and had passed Ricciardo. However, the German then took a narrow line into Turn One and, carrying too much speed, he went straight into the back of Rosberg.

The championship leader was sent into a spin that resulted in a drop to P21 at the end of lap one.

Vettel, however, shipped heavy damage, breaking the front left suspension of his car. He pulled over and stopped at Turn 3, which resulted in the Virtual Safety Car being deployed.

Rosberg’s spin, and the efforts made to avoid colliding with the Mercedes, had a significant effect on the order further back. Most notably, McLaren’s Fernando Alonso vaulted up the order, rising from the P22 start caused by engine penalties to P10 soon after the action resumed. At the front though, Hamilton was comfortable, easily controlling a slender gap to Ricciardo.

f1grandprixofmalaysia-eb4ohbymfqx

The man on the move was Verstappen. The Dutchman has dropped back after the start but was soon up to P5 and then when the VSC ended he climbed to P3.

There was trouble on lap nine, however, when Romain Grosjean’s Haas arrowed off track at Turn 15 due to brake failure. The VSC was deployed again and Red Bull pitted Verstappen from P3 for new soft tyres. He dropped to P4 behind Raikkonen.

Also making his way back up the order was Rosberg and by lap 19 the German had recovered to seventh place.  On the following lap he breezed past Carlos Sainz’s Toro Rosso into Turn 15 and set his sights 1.6s up the road to Valtteri Bottas.

It didn’t take long for the Mercedes man to erase the gap and he passed the Williams on lap 19, emerging just behind Raikkonen who had pitted for hard tyres. Soon after, race leader Hamilton and second-placed Ricciardo made the same strategic decision in their first pit stops and thus Verstappen was boosted to P1 on soft tyres.

By lap 26 Verstappen was reporting that he was losing grip and at the end of the following lap he made his second pit stop, this time for hard tyres. He emerged five seconds behind team-mate Ricciardo in P3.

The next stint saw Hamilton continue to extend his lead and by lap 38 he was 20 seconds ahead of Ricciardo and 21 ahead of Verstappen.

f1grandprixofmalaysia4_128pucuf9x-1

Once again, though, it was Rosberg who was on the move. This time he chased down Raikkonen and on lap 39 attempted to pass the Finn into Turn One. The move failed but he persisted and in Turn 3 he went down the inside but he went a little wide on exit and the pair banged wheels hard with Raikkonen being bounced right. The move was immediately put under investigation by the stewards.

Then, though, the race took its most dramatic turn, as on lap 41 flames burst from the back of Hamilton’s car and the race leader retired with a blown engine.

That promoted Ricciardo to the race lead but with Verstappen on newer hard tyres would the Australian be able to hold the lead?

The answer came swiftly, with the pair being pitted in tandem. Both were sent out on soft tyres. Rosberg too pitted for the same compound and set off in pursuit. The chase was quickly called off, however, the stewards handing the German a 10-second time penalty for causing the collision with Raikkonen.

It left Ricciardo in charge and he began to establish a gap to his team-mate.

f1grandprixofmalaysiaht0q3yefx6tx

Rosberg continued to push but with just nine seconds in hand over Raikkonen there was the possibility that the championship leader might miss out on a podium finish.

Raikkonen’s race engineer told the Finn “you know what you have to do”. The Finn might have but his car would not co-operate and within a few laps he began to lose time to Rosberg and when the pair crossed the line and Rosberg’s penalty was applied the German still had three seconds in hand over the Ferrari man to hold on to third place.

At the front Verstappen was pushing and with seven laps to go he was just 1.1s behind Ricciardo. But the Australian held firm and eventually crossed the line 2.4s clear of Verstappen to claim his fourth career win.

The result means that Rosberg extends his championship lead over Hamilton to 23 points, while Ricciardo further cements himself into third place in the title fight with 204 points.

In the Constructors’ battle Mercedes’ woes meant they missed out on their chance to seal the team’s title in Malaysia. They now have 533 points to Red Bull’s 359 with Ferrari third in 313.

RICCIARDO: THIS VICTORY IS FOR JULES

daniel ricciardo f1

Daniel Ricciardo showed his emotional side during the playing of the Australian national anthem after he powered to victory in a drama packed Malaysian Grand Prix and promptly dedicated the win to the late Jules Bianchi.

Ricciardo told media, “It’s been just over two years since my last victory, and it feels like a long two years – a lot has happened.”

“It was definitely a life-changing moment, the loss of Jules, a competitor and a friend. That was hard to take. I would have loved to have won sooner, and dedicated this a bit sooner.

“Since that day it definitely changes [you] as a person, for the better. I’ve become more appreciative of the things I have and the position I am in. Today I won a Formula 1 race. It’s another dream come true – so this one is definitely for him.”

Bianchi passed away on 17 July 2015, nine months after suffering a horrific accident during the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix and remained in a coma until his passing.

Ricciardo also paid tribute to his teenage teammate Verstappen, with whom he enjoyed a dramatic on-track duel. Both men embraced in parc ferme, and Ricciardo suggested their hard-but-fair duel had only increased their respect for one another.

“It was fair and clean with Max, it was fun,” he said. “That was the best part, I think we both enjoyed it. I saw we had an opportunity, and I was very determined not to let it go.”

“I’m sure he would love to be in this position, but he’s also honest and fair and I think today we can both hold our heads high.

“We’ve gained a lot of respect for each other. I think the team is happy with what we’ve done, it’s a super awesome day – very emotional, but a great feeling.”

HAMILTON: I HAVE 100% FAITH IN THEM

Hamilton DNF Malaysia

Lewis Hamilton retired from the Malaysian Grand Prix on lap 41 while enjoying a comfortable lead, shortly after he returned to the pits he asked some provocative questions of his team, igniting conspiracy theories which he went to great lengths to quash a few hours after his initial rant.

“Mercedes have so many engines made for drivers,” said Hamilton as he watched teammate and championship rival Nico Rosberg extend his title lead to 23 points. “But mine are the only ones failing this year. Someone need to give me some answers because this is not acceptable.”

But a few hours later, Hamilton tempered his reaction in his post race report, “As I said in the TV interviews, Mercedes have built 43 engines or however many it might be with the extra three I’ve had, and I have happen to have most of, if not all of, the failures. So, that is definitely tough to take. But I have 100% confidence in these guys.”

“Max (Verstappen) was in my pit window so I was just trying to push him out of it. I think I’d done that, almost. But then, on the straight, I just lost power all of a sudden. You could hear something blew and I obviously had to stop.”

“Honestly, you’ve got to understand it from my point of view. On one side, we’ve had the most incredible success these past two years, for which I’m so grateful. These guys work so hard and we’re all feeling the pain right now. When you get out of the car – that feeling you have after leading the race and then your car fails – it’s pretty hard to say positive things at the time.”

“It’s my fourth year with them now and the guys in the garage and back at the factories – I have 100% faith in them. I love it here and without them I would not have won these two Championships. While the struggle is real right now and has been all year, I honestly feel that it’s a test of my will, my spirit and who I am as a person to get back in and keep fighting it head on. It’s not how you fall, it’s how you get back up.”

Hamilton DNF Malaysia

“That applies not just to me but to the guys as well. I saw tears in the eyes of my mechanics so I know that we all bear the pain. But, as I said, it’s how we re-group. We have to keep in mind what we’ve already built. While in the short term it doesn’t look good and for the long-term this year it might not be so good, there are still lots of positives.”

“There’s still five races to go and if I can perform the way I performed this weekend there’s still everything to play for. We will learn. The guys will take the engine back and they’ll understand what happened. Every time we’ve had engine issues they’ve gone away and found out why. It puts us potentially in a better position to make sure it doesn’t happen next year.”

“All I can do is what I’ve done this weekend. Come correct, be as focused as I can possibly be, put in this kind of performance and pray that the car holds together. I still have faith and hope. That’s a powerful thing. It feels a little bit like the man above, or a higher power, is intervening a little bit.”

“But I feel like I’ve been blessed with the opportunity firstly to be here with so many great people around me, in this great team, to have won these last two Championships with lots and lots of victories and records that I’m breaking time and time again. Whilst it does not feel great right now, I have to be grateful for all of that.”

“If at the end of the year the higher powers don’t want me to be Champion after everything I’ve given towards it, I will have to accept that. As long as I end the year knowing that I’ve given it everything, done everything I could possibly do and that we’ve done everything we could possibly do, that’s all you can ask for. Don’t forget that I’m World Champion. I’ll be okay.”

MIKA: Hamilton seriously needs to grow up. Conspiracies hey? How about the last two years, especially last year where Nico DNF'd due to engines and brake by wire amongst other issues? 

VERSTAPPEN: THE TEAM SAID WE WERE FREE TO RACE

max verstappen f1

Max Verstappen finished second in the Malaysian Grand Prix and, as is becoming custom, he was involved in some of the big moments of the race including a first lap collision with the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel and Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg in Trun 1 of the first lap of the race, while later he tussled with teammate Daniel Ricciardo for position.

Driver of the Day voted by the fans, charging drive, strategy was key obviously out there for everybody today? A long fight at the front in those hot conditions, in those trying conditions, how do you feel?
Max Verstappen: I have to say after the champagne a lot better, it wakes me up a bit. But of course we were pushing the whole race. Definitely Daniel and I were pushing each other so we were going flat out so definitely after the race we had to take a break.

Obviously your view of the start line incident, you were a bit more involved in it. Tell us a bit more about that. And, as Daniel just said, you had a better-balanced strategy than he did, so tell us how that was evolving, how you thought the race was going to pan out. And then, obviously once Hamilton dropped out, you were both pitted together, you stacked behind Daniel. Did you think you would have a chance to win the race from there?
MV: Well, finally I had a good start, so I was happy with that but then into Turn One, yeah, I braked late but I was still behind Nico and then Sebastian just dived up the inside, just went really deep and there was definitely no space for that and he T-boned Nico, so I had to avoid all the debris and the two cars. I lost three or four positions because of that which, of course, was a shame because we were in a good position after the start. But then, yeah, after the Virtual Safety Car, I saw the green flag so I immediately passed, I think it was Kimi, so I was of course happy with that. From there on the pace was good. I passed the other cars and I was closing up to the guys in front and then we tried a different strategy and, when I was driving on the hard tyres it seems to be the right one, so I was closing up to Daniel and we had a good fight, a fair fight, and I think it shows a respect between us. And even after that little fight it will looked like it was going to happen – but then unfortunately the virtual safety car came out again. So we pitted again. I had to go on Used Soft, I think Daniel had new ones but still it was a great battle, we were pushing each other in the heat. Normally you can cruise a bit at the end of the race, or at least it’s a bit less physical but until the last lap we were pushing really hard. Yeah, today that’s second but it’s a great result for the team, scored a lot of points. The car was working all weekend, I think it showed already on Friday in the long run that it was working really well. I think we can be really pleased with this.

Tell us about that battle a bit earlier in the race where you battled your teammate Daniel?
I think it’s always fun when you give each other enough space. We were not trying to squeeze each other or anything . That’s great racing at high speed. And then, like Daniel said, into Turn Seven, we tried to brake as late as we could – but at one point I decided to give up because I was a bit in the tighter line so, in case you clip the kerb, you bounce to the left, we both have nothing. It’s better to be one and two.

Lap number 52 you were 1.1 seconds behind Ricciardo, probably next lap you could get DRS, then suddenly 1.2 seconds, 1.4s and two seconds. It was naturally consequence of the race or did you receive any orientation to stay in second position?
MV: No, I was pushing. Also, when you get very close it overheats the tyres and I was already on older tyres, so it was just very difficult to get into the DRS. And like I said, if you are on old tyres, before with the hard tyres I had a few laps advantage so you can do a few laps within a second but if you are on older tyres, to try to get within a second is very hard.

You were free to compete to the end – no team orders?
MV: Yeah, for sure. The team said we were free to race – but of course in a clean way. I think that’s what we did.

Max, what was the moment you realised this will be P2 and not a win?
I think four or five laps from the end. It’s just very hard – like I said before – to get within one second. It’s a bit like you’re playing a cat and mouse game so if the car behind you… It’s a bit like how I did in Barcelona, you know? If the car’s coming close to you, you just play with it, you keep them under control, you let them slide a bit more and then as soon as you see the car behind you is struggling a bit more, you can push a bit more yourself. I think that’s what Daniel was doing.

How do you think Red Bull will go in Suzuka?
MV: I prefer not to say anything. Like Singapore, you say we’re going for the win… I think we hope for a bit more in qualifying, here we were like it will be difficult to get a win or at least be on the podium and here we are first and second, so I’ll just wait and see how it goes, but normally it should be alright.

ROSBERG: I THOUGHT IT WAS ALL OVER

nico rosberg f1

Nico Rosberg found himself facing the wrong way after a Turn 1 melee at the start of the Malaysian Grand Prix, from that point on he played catch-up all afternoon at Sepang, and when the chequered flag waved the world championship leader was third and the bonus being that he increased his title lead to a handy 23 points over his Mercedes teammate and title rival Lewis Hamilton,

A very, very important third place for you today. Little bit of misfortune for your team but you fought back after an unfortunate first corner with Sebastian tagging the back of you in Turn One. Twenty-three point lead now. What are your thoughts and emotions right now?
Nico Rosberg: First of all, yeah, Turn One, I thought it was all over, so I’m really happy to be able to fight back in such a way all the way to the podium. That’s been great. Thank you very much to all of you here in Malaysia, you’ve been amazing all week and the support has been incredible. It’s been amazing to see that. In general, I wished for as better day today, but that’s the way it is sometimes.

Five to go, how do you feel?
NR: At the moment a bit tired after that race! Apart from that it’s a good moment in general and looking forward now to the next one of course, of course full attack.

A third different perspective on the start line incident from you please. You were 21st at the end of that first lap. To go from there to finishing on the podium and leaving Malaysia with a 23-point championship lead, does that feel almost like a win for you today?
NR: Well, it doesn’t feel like a win because it’s only third place and today was a tough day – because after Turn One I thought it was finished. Of course I’m happy with the comeback; to get all the way back on the podium, I definitely didn’t think that was going to be possible. For Lewis, I’ve been in his position, I know how terrible it is in that moment, so I’m sure he’s totally gutted.

And your view of the start?
NR: Oh, I just got T-boned by a four-time World Champion out of control!

Can you tell something about that situation with Kimi when you overtook him and got a penalty?
NR: Well, I went for it and we touched and that’s it. I can’t remember the details. For sure it was an aggressive move and they judged it to be a bit too aggressive and that’s it. I didn’t think I was going to get a penalty at the time but….

Are you surprised that Mercedes didn’t get the Constructors’ championship here and to all the drivers, Suzuka is a very chassis-orientated circuit. What are your predictions for that race?
NR: For sure, yeah, we were hoping to get it here. It would have been great ‘cos it’s our home away from home here in Sepang, in front of all the Petronas people and all the Malaysians who are supporting us. It would have been awesome. But you know, we’re really looking good on that side so if it’s not here, we hope to be able to do it soon on another track. And then I must say also congratulations really to the people who have done the track here, the new surface and everything, because really we see such exciting racing here, it’s possible to overtake. The last corner, what they’ve done also has been very good because you can do a couple of different lines when you’re following someone close in front. That really helps with the battling and it really has produced a great race today so really, compliments.
Japan? I think I will go very well

VETTEL PENALISED FOR CAUSING COLLISION

Vettel crash Malaysia

Sebastian Vettel has been hit with a three place grid penalty which he will serve at the forthcoming Japanese Grand Prix, after FIA stewards pointed a finger of blame at the Ferrari for his role in the Turn 1 incident at the start of the Malaysian Gran Prix at Sepang.

We reported the incident, involving Vettel, Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg and Red Bull’s Max Verstappen here shortly after it happened, since then results of the post race investigation were released.

The FIA stewards reported: “Having thoroughly reviewed the video and having spoken to the driver concerned, the Stewards determined that although the cars involved in the incident were all moving at relatively similar speeds, the driver of Car 5 [Vettel] made a small error entering to the inside of Turn 1 that led to the contact with Car 6 [Rosberg],” read a statement.

“As a consequence, Car 6 was caused to spin from second place and lose multiple positions, which the stewards determined was predominantly the fault of the driver of Car 5.”

Verstappen went on the radio and called Vettel ‘crazy’ to which the quadruple replied to later when speaking to journalists, “If anything I was braking at the same point as [Verstappen]. I was side by side, he squeezed me. I think it was racing. Nico was ahead and on a different line, and didn’t have to worry about us.”

“Two things are wrong: first Nico, with no blame, gets turned around; and second, I am standing here. Racing him [Verstappen] he’s moving around, I think everyone knows by now.”

“If you get squeezed to the inside the angle doesn’t get any better for T1. It was quite bad the angle, I was trying to do everything to turn and get the corner and I do get the corner but Nico tries to cut back, I guess to fight Lewis, and at that point we make contact.”

After the race in which he finished second, Verstappen was adamant, “I haven’t changed my opinion. He just dived up the inside, too late, T-boned Nico and I had to avoid the crash.”

“And that compromised my race. I saw him in my mirrors, I braked a bit late. It’s such a tight radius, so to try and brake that late and turn, of course you will lock up….”

Rosberg sided with Verstappen and also indicated that Vettel had been to blame, saying: “I got T-boned by a four-time World Champion out of control…”

The four times world champion is no stranger this year to first lap incidents:

• In China he collided with Kimi Raikkonen in Turn 1 at Shanghai;
  • Daniil Kvyat rear ended him twice on lap one of the Russian Grand Prix;
  • On lap one of the Belgian Grand Prix he was involved in a collision with Verstappen and Raikkonen in Turn one at Spa.

PEREZ: I WILL BE RACING WITH FORCE INDIA IN 2017

Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 on the drivers parade.Malaysian Grand Prix, Saturday 2nd October 2016. Sepang, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

After months of uncertainty and speculation Sergio Perez has finally confirmed that he will be racing for Force India in 2017.

He released the following media statement a few hours after the chequered flag waved to end the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang: “I’m pleased to confirm that I will be racing with Sahara Force India in 2017 as the team and my supporters have concluded their agreements.”

“I’m very happy with this team and I have a good feeling for the future. I’ve seen the progress we’ve made over last couple of years and I’m sure we have the potential to achieve even more going forward.”

“The team knows me well and it’s important to have stability, especially with some big rule changes planned for next year.”

“I’m excited for the rest of this season and for the challenge that awaits all of us in 2017. I thank all the team for believing in me and I will do my best repay their faith with points, podiums and hopefully wins.”

“I also want to thank our Mexican partners, especially Telmex and Telcel, who have been supporting me since I was a young boy. They continue to play an important role in my journey through the sport.”

The deal is believed to be for one year, with Perez known to be keen on replacing Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari in 2018, when the Finn is expected to quit.

Perez was the subject of much silly season speculation and was linked to Renault, Williams and most recently a move to Haas.

Alonso: McLaren needed some luck and we got that today

zQdHkQF9LdEBLzM2Rxe747wakTlGfMmP__O3I1677.jpg

Fernando Alonso says McLaren needed some luck after he picked up a 45-place grid penalty for the Malaysian Grand Prix, admitting the team got that in the race.

The Spaniard was given the substantial grid penalty prior to qualifying after McLaren changed various engine components.

He only completed a limited number of laps in qualifying and was the slowest of the Q1 runners, starting from last place.

Alonso had a strong start to move into the top 10 and crossed the line in seventh place, after a busy race which featured some intense on-track fights.

“It was definitely a very exiting race for us today, with some great battles,” he said. “Having started from the very back, we recovered some good places at the start – and were lucky not to get caught up in the first-corner accident.

“I was actually surprised by my position, because I’d already got into the points after just a bunch of laps. At that point, we had some debate over the radio about the strategy – about whether to be aggressive or more conservative.

“Eventually, we decided to attack and use all the new sets of option tyres we had left over from qualifying.

“The final Virtual Safety Car certainly played in our favour, because it allowed us to use the last new set. After this weekend’s penalties, we needed some luck – and we got that today.”

His team-mate Jenson Button, celebrating his 300th F1 race start, made it two McLarens in the top 10 with ninth place: “My race wasn’t too bad – but I got so unlucky with the Virtual Safety Car.

“The cars behind me were on a three-stop and I was on a two-stopper – then, three laps after I pitted, there was a Virtual Safety Car, which meant they were all able to gain 15 seconds on me for free.

“It’s a shame I missed it – but luck has not been on my side for these last few races. I was actually up into fourth position at the start before a couple of cars dragged past me on the opening lap.

“The two-stopper was the better strategy today, but it’s too difficult to make work when there’s a VSC; I was looking good for seventh up until that point. Hopefully I’ll have a bit more luck in the last five races.”

Gutierrez cleared, Haas fined over wheel loss

Esteban Gutierrez, Haas, Sepang International Circuit, 2016

Haas have been fined €5,000 after a wheel came off Esteban Gutierrez’s car during the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Haas will also have to demonstrate to the FIA what steps they are taking to avoid a repeat of the incident.

However the stewards ruled Gutierrez was not aware he was driving a car which was in an unsafe condition and cleared him.
“Having reviewed the audio from the car, the available data and spoken to the driver and team concerned, the Stewards were satisfied that the driver Gutierrez did not know that he was driving the car in an unsafe condition.”

“It appears that a mechanical failure led to the wheel being able to be tightly fitted to the car while not actually attached correctly. An additional failure occurred in turn one under braking, but the wheel was still retained in an abnormal way until it appears that the failure of the rim blew the wheel past the retention devices.”

“Having spoken with the technical delegate, the stewards were satisfied that the retention devices operated within their required design limits. However, as some function of the design, part failure or fitting allowed the wheel to come loose on the track, which is considered a serious safety issue, the stewards determined that this led to the car being released in an unsafe condition.”

“In addition to the fine above, the stewards order that the team provide the technical delegate with a report on the failure and all corrective actions.”

Grosjean had no warning before brake failure

Romain Grosjean, Haas, Sepang International Circuit, 2016

Romain Grosjean says the brake failure which put him out of the Malaysian Grand Prix happened without warning.

The Haas driver spun into a gravel trap at turn 15.

“There was a brake failure,” he explained. “We really don’t know what yet, but the pedal just went straight to the floor and I had to avoid the car in front of me.”
“Our data didn’t suggest anything beforehand,” he added.

Grosjean said he was running strongly before the failure. “We did a really good first lap and we were looking at points running inside the top ten.”

“Things just didn’t go very well. I was racing with Fernando Alonso. He had power, so it was very difficult to keep him behind. I was then just trying to follow his pace.”

“The plan was to try to keep the tyres alive for quite a while. We just didn’t get to that point, though.”

Both Haas drivers retired from the race: Esteban Gutierrez dropped out when a wheel came off his car.

Lauda: Claims of Hamilton sabotage "ridiculous and stupid"

Lauda: Claims of Hamilton sabotage

Niki Lauda says any suggestion that Lewis Hamilton's Malaysian GP engine failure retirement was a result of Mercedes sabotage or favouritism is "ridiculous and stupid".

Hamilton had looked the odds-on favourite to comfortably win the Sepang race before his engine went up in smoke on lap 41.

The Briton's title defence prior to that had been marred by several other costly engine issues - and, after the latest setback, Hamilton's comment that "someone doesn't want me to win" was taken by some as a hint at intra-team sabotage.

Lauda, who serves as Mercedes' non-executive chairman, moved to assure that it couldn't have been Hamilton's intention to convey that message, and that any suggestion of sabotage is nonsensical.

"I know Lewis very well and he will not accuse the team," Lauda said. "This interpretation, I cannot accept it. Lewis knows we do everything possible to give him the best car and the best engine.

"I really feel sorry for him, I apologised to him that the engine failed. This was a young engine, not an old one, so we do not know the cause. So if we do not know the cause, nobody can say we sabotaged it.

"This is ridiculous. And if you speak to Lewis directly, I guess he will not say this.

"We worked for him and for Nico in a perfect way. He's won two championships so far with us, we've finished the most races ever. What do you guys think, we suddenly start to sabotage? Why? It's completely ridiculous and stupid."

Asked who Hamilton meant by his original comments, Lauda suggested Hamilton was referring to a higher power, the very interpretation that Hamilton himself has since confirmed.

On whether Mercedes had a preference in the outcome of the title battle between its two drivers, Lauda said: "We work for both cars the same way, we let them race the same way, all these questions are ridiculous."

Wolff: Rosberg penalty was "complete nonsense"

Wolff: Rosberg penalty was

Mercedes chief Toto Wolff expressed his disappointment with the “nonsense” penalty assessed against Nico Rosberg for his contact with Kimi Raikkonen in the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Rosberg, driving a recovery race after he was tapped into a spin by Sebastian Vettel on the opening lap, made a late lunge down Raikkonen's inside at Turn 2 and made contact with the Finn's car, securing third place.

He was handed a 10-second penalty – which was ultimately inconsequential as he ended up 13 seconds ahead of Raikkonen at the chequered flag – and two penalty points to his licence.

Asked about it post-race, Wolff said he did not want to "focus on" the penalty after a race in which Rosberg's teammate Lewis Hamilton lost a likely win through a blown engine - but did say the decision was "complete nonsense".

"He [Rosberg] did a brilliant drive to recover back to third, made no mistakes, and really there's nothing negative to say," Wollf stated. "The penalty is just complete nonsense.

"It's not what I want to focus on, because we let Lewis down today. And that should be something we must be beating up ourselves [over] - and not moaning over an unfair penalty that didn't make any difference because Nico stayed third.

"A couple of months we decided, all together, that we wanted to have harder racing between the cars - and that if it wasn't 100 percent clear that somebody was at fault, we would let them race against each other.

"And then this... I don't know, it's for others to comment, it's not my priority after that race today."

Toto Wolff, Mercedes AMG F1 Shareholder and Executive Director   Nico Rosberg, Mercedes AMG F1 in the FIA Press Conference   Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari

Raikkonen: Rosberg could've ended both our races

For his part, Raikkonen said that his Ferrari SF16-H was damaged significantly in the contact, and that if he hadn't reacted, Rosberg's move could have taken them both out of the race.

"With the stuff with Rosberg, obviously I kind of expected that he was going to try something 'cause he had a bit of a funny line in Turn 1," Raikkonen said.

"I was turning in, saw a flash in the mirrors, and had to run right otherwise maybe we would have both finished there.

"Got some damage on the floor, that didn't really help. He got penalised for it but obviously it didn't really change the end result. But, you know, we kept trying and unfortunately it wasn't better than that.

"There was small damage on the front wing endplate but more on the floor, the floor was missing parts. For sure, it doesn't help. All of those things are there for a purpose."

Rosberg says Vettel "out of control"

Rosberg says Vettel

Nico Rosberg says Sebastian Vettel was "out of control" after their collision at the start of the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Vettel dove down the inside of Turn 1 on the opening lap of the race and made contact with the rear of Rosberg's car, sending the German into a spin that dropped him to the back of the field.

The Ferrari driver, meanwhile, had to retire on the spot with a broken suspension - and the incident is still being investigated by the stewards.

"I just got T-boned by a four-time world champion out of control," said Rosberg, after recovering to a third-place finish.

"I thought it was all over. I'm happy to be able to fight back all the way to the podium. In general I wish for a better day but that is how it is sometimes."

Despite a difficult day, Rosberg managed to extend his championship lead to 23 points thanks to Lewis Hamilton retiring while leading.

"It doesn't feel like a win, it is third place, it was a tough one," Rosberg added. "After Turn 1 I thought I was finished. For Lewis, I have been in his position and know how terrible it is in that moment so I know what he is going through."

Rosberg was handed a 10-second time penalty after he made contact with Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen as he overtook the Finn for third place.

The championship leader admitted it had been an aggressive move but did not want to judge the stewards' decision.

"I went for it and we touched. I cannot remember the detail. For sure it was an aggressive move. They judged it a bit too aggressive and that is it."

Verstappen hits out at "ridiculous" Vettel move

Verstappen hits out at

Max Verstappen labelled Sebastian Vettel's first corner move during the Malaysian Grand Prix "ridiculous" after the German compromised the Red Bull's driver's race.

Vettel made contact with Nico Rosberg's Mercedes as he appeared to overshoot Turn 1 at the start of the race, the incident forcing Verstappen to go wide and losing him several positions.

The incident remains under investigation.

Verstappen hit out at Vettel, saying the German was trying to win the race at the first corner.

"He just dived up the inside, braked way too late, he just T-boned Nico. And I had to avoid the crash. It compromised my race as well," said Verstappen.

"I could see him behind me. He wants to win the race in the first corner, which is, of course, ridiculous.

"I saw him in my mirrors, so I just braked late. I was closing up a bit on Nico, but he just dived up the inside.

"It was such a tight radius already, to try and turn and brake that late, of course you will lock up."

Verstappen, who finished second behind teammate Daniel Ricciardo in the race, admitted his day would have been much different had it not been for the incident.

"Today I didn't have the luck already in Turn 1, otherwise the race would have been completely different," he said.

"But in the end it was a perfect result for the team. Daniel and I have a lot of respect for each other, so we definitely enjoyed it out there.

"Before that last Virtual Safety Car, I think basically we were going for the victory. But that's racing as well, sometimes that can happen. We were free to race, keep it clean but I think that's what we did."

Vettel points finger at Verstappen over Rosberg clash
Vettel points finger at Verstappen over Rosberg clash

Sebastian Vettel has inferred that Max Verstappen played his part in the collision that eliminated the Ferrari driver and compromised Nico Rosberg's race at the start of the Malaysian Grand Prix. 

The Ferrari driver made a strong start from fifth place to challenge Max Verstappen on the inside for third coming into the opening bend, but would find himself on too-tight a line entering the right-hander, Vettel proceeding to clip the unsighted right-rear wheel of Rosberg's Mercedes as the title contender turned into the apex ahead of him. 

Leaving Rosberg unimpressed – quipping that he was 't-boned by a four-time world champion – and resulting in Vettel getting a three-place grid penalty for the Japanese Grand Prix, while the German was full of remorse for hampering his countryman, he nonetheless saved some criticism for Verstappen for squeezing him to the inside in the first place. 

“If anything I was braking at the same point as [Verstappen],” he said when asked whether he out-braked himself. “So I was going side-by-side, he was squeezing me down to the inside. I think both of us would make the corner not a problem. 

“Obviously Nico decided to do a different line -- he is ahead -- he's got nothing to do with it, he doesn't have to bother with what people are doing behind. I think there's two things that are wrong; first that Nico without any blame, gets turned around and second that I am standing here and the race is still going on.” 

The incident comes just two races after Vettel engaged in a war-of-words with Verstappen over his driving conduct after lambasting the Dutchman for moving under braking. It is a critique the Ferrari driver suggested played on his mind as he raced alongside Verstappen. 

“Well racing him is moving around, I think everybody knows by now. Obviously if you are squeezed to the inside, your angle doesn't get any better for Turn 1. 

“It was quite bad the angle, so I was trying to do everything to turn and get the corner, I do get the corner no problem, I'm not braking massively too late or at all too late. Nico tries to cut back I guess, to fight Lewis, but at that point we made contact.” 

Here's All The Work That Goes Into A Single Bolt In Formula 1

RB12-FS-00663-02 is a single front suspension camber bolt for one of Red Bull Racing’s Formula 1 cars. It’s one of over a million that the racing house produces every year, but that doesn’t mean that you can cut any corners.

I’m not going to spoil the three minutes of this video, because it’s just a simple, beautiful explanation of the life of a tiny — but incredibly important — component, one of tens of thousands, that make up any of the Formula 1 cars on the 2016 grid. Like everything that Red Bull touches, this clip is amazingly well produced and put together. A film about a bolt. It’s incredible.

Of course, there’s a copious amount of Red Bull consumed through the process, too. But that’s no surprise.

HAMILTON: A HIGHER POWER IS INTERVENING

Hamilton engine blow up malaysia mercedes dnf

Lewis Hamilton has shifted the blame for his ill luck at the Malaysian Grand Prix from his Mercedes team to a higher power, suggesting that some form of divine intervention is tinkering with his chances to become Formula 1 world champion this season.

He launched an accusatory tirade at his team, upon returning to the pits shortly after retiring from the race at Sepang due to an engine blow-up, while he comfortably led the race and looked set for a 50th career victory.

Instead he was forced to watch from the sidelines as his teammate and title rival Nico Rosberg finish third and with it extend his championship lead to 23 points.

Hamilton vented his fury, directed at his team, to the assembled media before hours later tempering his accusations and seeking alternative sources to his great misfortune.

Some hours later, when asked to clarify his comments Hamilton had changed his tune somewhat, “Someone doesn’t want me to win. A higher power. It feels right now that the man above, or a higher power is intervening a little bit.”

And added, “I feel like I’ve been blessed with so many big opportunities, firstly being here with all these people around here, the opportunity in this great team winning the last two championships.”

“[I’ve had] lots and lots of big trophies and records that I’m breaking time and time again, so I have to be grateful for those. While this does not feel great I feel grateful.” affirmed Hamilton.

WOLFF: WHAT LEWIS SAID IS COMPLETELY UNDERSTANDABLE

lewis-hamilton-mercedes-dnf-malaysia

In the aftermath of Lewis Hamilton’s scathing rant after he retired from the Malaysian Grand Prix, while comfortably leading the race when suddenly his engine went up in smoke with the finish in sight, Toto Wolff reveals that the world champion has made amends by addressing the team hours after the race at Sepang.

Wolff even condoned Hamilton’s provocative and disparaging remarks, whereby the Briton suggested that there was a conspiracy within the team working against him.

Wolff said, “What Lewis said, it’s completely understandable. But he came back to the garage and shook the hand of every team member.”

“We talked in a small group and we were all really down. Then he stood in front of the team and found the words to lift everybody and help us recover quickly for Japan. This is what the great drivers do, the true champions, and I must express my respect for how he conducted himself.”

“One of the greatest qualities of our group is how we come back from defeat even stronger than before. We will do that again now, in time for Japan next weekend,” concluded Wolff.

After the race and the champion’s outburst, Mercedes Technical Executive Director Paddy Lowe was more forthright in his assessment of the situation, “The word is bollocks, really. This is one of the more difficult races of the year and we approached the weekend knowing it would be tough to get a top result. And so it transpired.”

“One thing we had made a priority was to ensure an equal competition between the drivers. Unfortunately, we have failed in that objective in brutal fashion. We will go away and analyse what happened, aiming to arrive in Japan prepared to bounce back in the best way we can,” added Lowe.

HORNER: REAL RESPECT BETWEEN RICCIARDO AND VERSTAPPEN

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA - OCTOBER 02:  Daniel Ricciardo of Australia and Red Bull Racing is congratulated by Max Verstappen of Netherlands and Red Bull Racing in parc ferme during the Malaysia Formula One Grand Prix at Sepang Circuit on October 2, 2016 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool  // P-20161002-01304 // Usage for editorial use only // Please go to www.redbullcontentpool.com for further information. //

It was a breathtaking few corners during the Malaysian Grand Prix where Red Bull teammates Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen ran side-by-side, wheel-to-wheel, which ultimately proved that there is great mutual respect between the two.

This was the sentiment of team principal Christian Horner who allowed his drivers to race, and saw Ricciardo and Verstappen come home first and second for the first time since 2013 for the energy drinks outfit.

Horner reflected after a tense race, “I think that what we’ve seen is that there is a real respect between the two of them. They are both good racers, hard racers. I felt comfortable letting the two guys go head-to-head today.

“There was no interference, and the instruction was you are racing each other, but just respect each other, which is what we talked about this morning, and give each other space. Some great wheel to wheel racing between the two of them, but at all times they respected all the hundreds of employees that they represent.”

Verstappen was attacking Ricciardo three quarters of the way through the race, with fresher tyres he was hounding his teammate and making his feelings known over the team radio.

But Horner explained, “We’ve heard it the other way around as well,” Horner further commented. “Those situations you deal with at the time but I don’t see it as an issue. Obviously a driver…. especially in the world of tyre preservation that we currently live in, it’s a big factor of how these guys are going racing at the moment.

“Sometimes, if you are the tail car, you would theoretically be able to push bit harder, but the guy in front, you can see from Lewis early in the stint, is really nursing his tyres,” added Horner.

HORNER: RICCIARDO’S RACE WAS SAVED BY THE SECOND VSC

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA - OCTOBER 02:  Red Bull Racing Team Principal Christian Horner, Daniel Ricciardo of Australia and Red Bull Racing and Max Verstappen of Netherlands and Red Bull Racing celebrate on the podium during the Malaysia Formula One Grand Prix at Sepang Circuit on October 2, 2016 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool  // P-20161002-01271 // Usage for editorial use only // Please go to www.redbullcontentpool.com for further information. //

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner must be applauded for allowing his drivers to race one another during the Malaysian Grand Prix, but he admits that race winner Daniel Ricciardo got lucky when it mattered.

Horner said that Ricciardo benefitted from the second Virtual Safety Car (VSC) period, when prior to that teammate Max Verstappen filled his mirrors on fresher tyres.

The pair slugged it out, side-by-side, shortly before the VSC was deployed to deal with Lewis Hamilton’s stricken Mercedes. This provided Ricciardo the opportunity to pit for fresh rubber – he emerged in the lead where he stayed until the end, without being troubled by Verstappen again.

Horner reflected, “Our philosophy was to take more risk with the tail car. So therefore it made more sense to bring Max in at that point. He didn’t lose any positions.”

“And it was just rolling the dice. Halfway through the race, it looked like that strategy was working out for him as the more competitive.”

“What really saved Daniel’s race was the second VSC, which then it made total sense to pit both drivers, not take any risk, to put them on to the soft tire to the end of the race.”

During the VSC Verstappen followed Ricciardo into the pits, also for fresher rubber. Asked why at this point the team did not opt to leave Verstappen out on track..

Horner explained, “It would have been marginal to the end of the race with the tires. So we thought we will double stop, we have the time to be able to do that, and then it was a straight race between the two of them. We were looking for the tire to go an awful long way.”

MAGNUSSEN: FIVE SECONDS IS TOO LONG IF THE CAR IS ON FIRE

during practice for the Malaysia Formula One Grand Prix at Sepang Circuit on September 30, 2016 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

In the aftermath of the scary fire that engulfed the Renault of Kevin Magnussen during free practice for the Malaysian Grand Prix, the halo cockpit safety device is again in the spotlight with many questioning if a driver can alight the cockpit fast enough in such a situation.

Magnuseen himself has doubts and told Bild, “I have not tested the Halo, so I can not judge it. In my opinion five seconds extra would be too long, if the car is on fire.”

“My crew were great dealing with the fire and getting the car back into action for the afternoon. From my perspective, I heard the call on the radio to jump out and I didn’t need to be told twice!” added the Dane.

But Grand Prix Drivers’ Association chief Alexander Wurz insists that the halo would not have delayed the driver getting out the car.

He told Sky, “Maybe it will be half a second longer to get out, with the fire (proof) suit which lasts 50 seconds with a real fire.”

When the FIA announced that the halo device would not be implemented until 2018, Red Bull team chief Christian Horner told Sky, “The feeling with the halo is that there are some benefits but an awful lot of unanswered questions.”

“We can’t just bolt on something which we all have very little experience of,” added Horner.

PORTUGAL HAVE F1 PROPOSAL FOR GRAND PRIX IN ALGARVE

autodromo-internacional-do-algarve-4

The president of the Portimao Municipility Isilda Gomes has a proposal to have Formula 1 return to Portugal, with the Autódromo Internacional do Algarve (AIA) as the venue for the grand prix.

At the launch of a €10-million five star hotel adjacent to the circuit Gomes told VIPs, including Prime Minister António Costa, and media, “It’s time to start thinking about Formula 1.”

She also acknowledged that having the race at the Algarve track is a dream and not “a 100-meter race, but a long-distance race which is worth a bet.”

At the event Prime Minister Costa was supportive of the idea when, during his speech, he addressed Gomes’ proposal, “It is important to take on new challenges. This proposal is very, very exciting, and is worth pursuing.”

José Theotónio, CEO of the Pestana Group, said at the function, “The success of the hotel will depend on the attractiveness of all the Autodrome complex.”

LAUDA INSISTS HAMILTON AND ROSBERG DO TYRE TESTS

hamilton-lauda-rosberg-e1454624189506

Mercedes F1 chairman is adamant that the team’s star drivers do their share of Pirelli tyre testing ahead of the 2017 season when the all new wider tyres are being introduced.

Up until now Pascal Wehrlein has been tasked with testing for Mercedes, but Lauda wants Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to do mileage on the new tyres.

However it is well known that both drivers are averse to sacrificing their ‘downtime’ with the tedium of testing.

Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff backs Lauda, “You can always learn something, even if it might be limited in a tyre test.”

“Frankly, Niki has insisted and it is important that the regular drivers test. They are the fastest in this car, more experienced and can do better than a reserve driver in helping Pirelli with feedback.

As a result both Hamilton and Rosberg will now be on duty on 12 and 13 October, for the next Pirelli test in Barcelona.

Ferrari have used their regular drivers, Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen, to carry out the 2017 Pirelli tyre testing, while Red Bull have both Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo scheduled for their test days in November, at Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi.