NewAir Wineador When Power Interrupts

Rich93

I recently bought a NewAir wine coolor with shelves and drawers by Forrest Price (Forrest's work is very nice and fits well). Everything looks good except I discovered that the NewAir unit will reset to the lowest temperature (54 degrees F) in the event of a power interruption. I like to set it at 65dF with 65RH Heartfelt beads. There are times when I am out of town for extended periods and if I leave the unit plugged in and even a momentary interruption occurs the cigars will be cooling to 54dF. I will hook up an inexpensive battery backup such as are used with computers but if the interruption is lengthy and I am out of town that solution will fail. That leaves me with two choices: leave it unplugged when I leave town and let the temp rise or leave it plugged in and let the temp fall to 54 if power interrupts. The temperature in the house will be 78 or 80 when I am out of town. What harm will come to the cigars if I do one or the other? Which alternative will do the least harm? Remember the beads will be 65RH. Thanks for any advice you may give.

If you have no active system absorbing the extra humidity, then falling temperatures will cause a rise in your rH. Probably no big deal if it's a very short period, but if it's long enough to get liquid water (even micro/misty size drops) you will activate the mold spores in your collection.

The problem with the reset you describe, is that it can turn a short interruption, into a very long period at 54F. Personally, I wouldn't mind long term storage that low. It's low mind you, but it wouldn't bother me, if I could also keep the humidity where I wanted it (60-65rH). So if your wine cooler is for long term storage, one solution would be to just set it at the lowest setting. However I'm guessing that you keep current smoking stock in there too, and bring a 54F cigar out into 75F environment to light up . . . well that sounds like a stick in need of some acclimatization. :cigar:

If you have no active system absorbing the extra humidity, then falling temperatures will cause a rise in your rH. Probably no big deal if it's a very short period, but if it's long enough to get liquid water (even micro/misty size drops) you will activate the mold spores in your collection.

The problem with the reset you describe, is that it can turn a short interruption, into a very long period at 54F. Personally, I wouldn't mind long term storage that low. It's low mind you, but it wouldn't bother me, if I could also keep the humidity where I wanted it (60-65rH). So if your wine cooler is for long term storage, one solution would be to just set it at the lowest setting. However I'm guessing that you keep current smoking stock in there too, and bring a 54F cigar out into 75F environment to light up . . . well that sounds like a stick in need of some acclimatization. cigar.gif

Thank you Papa. I do have about 2.5 lbs of Heartfelt 65RH beads in there though I don't know how well they would absorb the extra humidity. I don't believe the beads qualify as the active system you describe. Yes, I will use the wineador for current smoking stock.

Had the same problem with my first NewAir 281. In Florida many instantaneous "power blips" that reset to 54F. I bought a UPS that will run the one unit for about six hours continuous power outage.I added a second NewAir 281. Both are plugged in to the same UPS. With both running on the UPS the run time is cut about in half (3 hours). For outages under this time I am fine and "power blips" are covered meaning your temp does not reset. I have had two (2) power outages in excess of 4 hours since installing this system. The UPS was drained to "0" and the NewAir's went off and I had to reset from 54F once the power went back on. For short power outages this has worked great for me. If you need more back-up time, just get a bigger capacity UPS = (++$$).

• Like 1

Had the same problem with my first NewAir 281. In Florida many instantaneous "power blips" that reset to 54F. I bought a UPS that will run the one unit for about six hours continuous power outage.I added a second NewAir 281. Both are plugged in to the same UPS. With both running on the UPS the run time is cut about in half (3 hours). For outages under this time I am fine and "power blips" are covered meaning your temp does not reset. I have had two (2) power outages in excess of 4 hours since installing this system. The UPS was drained to "0" and the NewAir's went off and I had to reset from 54F once the power went back on. For short power outages this has worked great for me. If you need more back-up time, just get a bigger capacity UPS = (++$$).

What is a UPS?

• 5 months later...

UPS is the way to go. It's the momentary outages that are the big problem. By having the UPS, those won't be a problem.

I agree. I have a smaller UPS box that I found in my office at work. I too am in Florida, which means a lot of power interruptions in the summer storm season. When you leave for more than a weekend at a time, it can be nerve racking without protection. Worth it weight in gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the original poster and I now use a UPS that cost about $65. There have been a number of mini power outages in my area and the UPS has done its job. I don't know how long the UPS I bought would keep power to the wine cooler in the event of an extended outage, but those are so rare where I live that I don't worry about them. The one second outages seem to occur with every bad storm. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.