From a fan of a great barber shop straight razor shave......Yucatan style

Wife and I are taking a mini vacation to the Mexican state of Yucatan, and are in the small town of Valladolid for the night. We were here two years ago and loved it. On the way to Merida mañana.

Staying at hotel La Aurora. Ate at Jardin de los Frailes (garden of the friars). On way back walked past a combo hat shop and barber shop. Surprised to see the barber still there at well after 7:00.

I'm a huge fan of old school barber shops and while you can't find an old school shop per se in Cayman, still visit my Jamaican barber twice a week.

This barber is a fourth generation barber and was a super nice guy to give me a head and face shave this late at night. Complete with scented hot towels and a face-soothing cold aloe Vera plant cut open and rubbed on my face before finishing with scented cold wet towels.

Awesome time. Wife was nice enough to hang out and snap a few photos of the shop. Never mind the ugly fat guy in the chair!

post-9066-142371723119.jpgpost-9066-142371724335.jpgpost-9066-142371725658.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You are lucky to be there and I wish that I was with you. It is cool

if you can speak Spanish and even cooler yet if you can understand the

Mayan language. Jungle tromping throughout the Yucatan is something that

my wife and I truly enjoy.

You will find many unique customs and businesses throughout Mexico.

Businesses like the careteria where they fix wagon wheels. Highways

are still called careteras where horses and carts are still a mode

of transportation.

If you have been down there before, I'm sure that you have checked

out how the Mayans live. There culture is ancient and still active today

throughout the Yucatan.

Would love to read more about your travels.

You are lucky to be there and I wish that I was with you. It is cool

if you can speak Spanish and even cooler yet if you can understand the

Mayan language. Jungle tromping throughout the Yucatan is something that

my wife and I truly enjoy.

You will find many unique customs and businesses throughout Mexico.

Businesses like the careteria where they fix wagon wheels. Highways

are still called careteras where horses and carts are still a mode

of transportation.

If you have been down there before, I'm sure that you have checked

out how the Mayans live. There culture is ancient and still active today

throughout the Yucatan.

Would love to read more about your travels.

Indeed. Been traveling around Quintana Roo and Yucatan a bit the last four years. I love pretty much all of mexico but this part is magical.

Terrified of getting a straight razor shave.

In my line of work, I relatively like to avoid having other people hold sharp bladed items around me. :lookaround:

But there is something quite relaxing about laying your head back, exposing your neck and letting a master take a straight edge to your face and neck.

I have been visiting old school barbers for nearly 10 years and it's now a twice weekly ritual. Never had a single cut. Not even when getting my head shaved which I get done at the same time.

Try it!

Getting a straight razor shave is a treat for sure! It's a whole experience, the guy version of whatever it is the ladies do at a spa, but with the added manliness of employing an edged weapon to handle male grooming! Careful though... straight razor shaving goes the same direction as CC (you'll end up with razors, brushes, soaps, creams, strops, and all manner of other things double quick if you get into it).

Getting a straight razor shave is a treat for sure! It's a whole experience, the guy version of whatever it is the ladies do at a spa, but with the added manliness of employing an edged weapon to handle male grooming! Careful though... straight razor shaving goes the same direction as CC (you'll end up with razors, brushes, soaps, creams, strops, and all manner of other things double quick if you get into it).

Agreed re the slippery slope on purchasing accoutrement. I'm man enough to admit id rather go to the barber then do it myself though.