FORMULA 1 - 2015

DOES VAN DER GARDE HAVE A F1 SUPER LICENCE?

sauber-giedo-van-der-garde-laf1es_0-750x

Giedo van der Garde’s bid to race for Sauber at the Formula 1 season opening Australian Grand Prix could stumble at the final hurdle.
It has been established that the Dutchman has a valid contract and, despite the Swiss team’s court appeal on Thursday in Melbourne, he looks set to win his legal case.
But the question being asked in the Albert Park paddock on Thursday is: does the 29-year-old have a F1 super licence?
“His race start in Australia is highly unlikely,” said Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt. “The Dutchman is not in possession of a valid super licence.
“The relevant national automobile club only applied for the licence on Wednesday, March 11, and the process generally takes 14 days,” Schmidt added.
The German report added that van der Garde can speed up the process by claiming ‘force majeure’, but even this requires a 48 hour timeframe before the scrutineering deadline on Thursday.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

Hulkenberg: Porsche Le Mans deal has ‘no effect’ on Formula 1

Nico-Hulkenberg-2015-HD-Wallpaper-Deskto

German ace happy to be involved in “growing” WEC series – but insists his main focus remains F1.

Nico Hulkenberg has refuted claims that his Porsche sportscar programme, which includes the Spa 1000Km and Le Mans 24 Hours, will detract from his F1 campaign with Force India.
Hulkenberg’s deal is a throwback to the ’80s – when F1 drivers regularly took part in sportscar events to supplement their income.
“Obviously last year I took the decision for the Porsche deal,” said Hulkenberg on the eve of the Australian Grand Prix. “I was thinking about these things, and I wouldn’t have taken on the deal if I’d thought it compromised my F1 career.
“And also, I was testing in Bahrain in the middle of February, and then it was Barcelona in F1, and of course there was a couple of laps adaptation, but I’m settled enough in F1 and I have that feeling inside my brain and my body to swap without readapting too much.
“Le Mans is the main thing, and it’s the most important race for Porsche and that series. I’m going to go there with an open mind and enjoy it, and see what comes out of it.”

VAN DER GARDE: SAUBER HAS TO WORK WITH US NOW

JSX8844-1-750x500.jpg

Giedo van der Garde is now racing to get the super licence he needs to contest this weekend’s Australian grand prix.
The Dutchman has won his case in the Melbourne courts to force Sauber to accommodate him, after the Swiss team reneged on his contract.
“Sauber has to work with us now,” said van der Garde on Thursday. “There is no other issue. I’m also confident the super licence can be fast-tracked.”
If the Swiss team does not comply with the Victorian supreme court’s order, it could have its assets seized.
21130011522701364_BLD_Online-750x500.jpg
Sauber has been asked to present to the court on Friday a list of assets, including its cars and equipment at Albert Park. But another immediate issue is van der Garde’s expired super licence.
“The safety department in Geneva deal with that,” FIA race director Charlie Whiting told reporters on Thursday.
In the paddock, there are concerns about the future of Sauber, but also dismay that it chose to defend its case on the grounds running van der Garde this weekend is a safety issue.
The judge dismissed that argument, “These events are highly regulated. We proceed on the assumption that the regulators will ensure that all safety requirements are complied with.”
F1 veteran Jenson Button also expressed disappointment with Sauber’s argument, “Safety is always a concern in motor sport and we shouldn’t be throwing it around lightly. I think it’s unfair to use that against Giedo.”
MIKA: I've always had a soft spot for Sauber, always the underdogs who often came out with some remarkable results. Peter deserves for this team to flourish in Formula 1, we need Sauber in Formula 1 but for the life of me, I have no idea why they have been so careless to dismiss a driver under contract and now create this mess...
Maybe Sauber can have a win-win here and borrow one of these and EVERYONE can be happy! lol3.gif;)
FERRARI.jpg

RICCIARDO: I LOOK FORWARD TO PUT UP ANOTHER STRONG FIGHT

Daniel-Ricciardo-Australian-F1-Grand-Pri

Daniel Ricciardo says Red Bull have confidence, reliability and a plan to beat the Mercedes pair Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg in the new Formula 1 season, starting with the season opening Australian Grand Prix.
The big smiling Aussie is now Red Bull’s lead driver after the defection of four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel to Ferrari and he is confident the team can recapture old glories.
World drivers’ champion Hamilton and last year’s race winner Rosberg are expected to take up where dominant Mercedes left off last year in this weekend’s season opener, but Ricciardo said Red Bull have a plan to win.
Ricciardo spectacularly launched his 2014 season by finishing second in Melbourne, only for officials to disqualify him over a technical infringement.
Ricciardo-Red-Bull-750x501.jpg
Twelve months on and Red Bull are in a better place after testing and ready to throw down the gauntlet to Mercedes, he said.
Mercedes won the constructors’ championship last season and although Red Bull were runners-up they were still nearly 300 points behind.
“If you look back on last year for sure we’re in a better position this year,” Ricciardo said.
“We’re coming here this weekend with a lot more confidence and reliability and we’ve actually got a plan for Sunday where last year it was a case of putting the car on the track and hope to see the chequered flag.”
Ricciardo said after a year behind the wheel at Red Bull he was a better driver and the team was determined to close the gap on dominant Mercedes.
P-20150201-00125_HiRes-JPEG-24bit-RGB-75
“Within the team there is a lot that has progressed since then and with myself I’ve moved along,” he said. “I feel I am a more evolved driver and have a bigger impact in the team after spending the 12 months there.
“I think it’s all on the table ready for us to use and pursue to put up another strong fight so I am looking forward to that this year.”
Ricciardo conceded that Mercedes have the extra pace in their cars as shown in pre-season testing, but it was a close tussle behind them.
“It looks pretty close within that group and we’ll see what happens on track but it does look like the Mercs have a bit of pace again this year,” he said.
“For that last spot on the podium it looks pretty close between us, Ferrari and Williams and I am sure there will be few other players coming into the mix.
Daniel-Ricciardo-F1-Testing-Jerez-Day-3-
“Testing doesn’t really show everything and I think what it did show was that the Mercs are quick, but it’s close behind them.”
Ricciardo said the influential designer Adrian Newey was still around the Red Bull team, providing his experience heading into the new season despite his intention to step down.
“The vibes are still good, still strong. Adrian Newey is here this weekend and I’ve been asked a little bit about him and how much he’s stepped back,” Ricciardo said.
“I don’t want to put him in the spotlight but he was at all the pre-season tests and he’s here this weekend and looks like he’s already done more than usually thought he would.
“So I think he’s very much much interested in the RB 11 (car) and from what I can see the team definitely wants to get back on top.”

MAGNUSSEN HAS A POINT TO PROVE IN MELBOURNE

Kevin-Magnussen-Australian-F1-Grand-Prix

It was Kevin Magnussen rather than Jenson Button who was forced to make way for the arrival of two-time world champion Fernando Alonso at McLaren, but the young Dane has a chance to prove his paymasters wrong at Sunday’s Australian Grand Prix.
The highly-fancied 22-year-old will replace Alonso at Albert Park, with the Spaniard to miss the race on doctor’s orders after suffering a heavy crash during testing last month.
Reserve driver Magnussen may only warm Alonso’s seat for one race but can prove a point by out-shining the 35-year-old Button, who many thought was finished at McLaren before being confirmed in December.
The son of former Formula 1 racer Jan, Magnussen did just that in last year’s race, qualifying fourth before finishing runner-up behind Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg in a stunning Formula 1 debut.
magnussen-16-3a-750x501.jpg
Former world champion Button was pipped to third behind Magnussen, who also became Denmark’s first race driver to stand on a Formula 1 podium.
Sadly, that was to prove the season’s high point for McLaren who have not won a race since Button’s last win in 2012.
McLaren are going through a major overhaul, with changes at technical and managerial level.
A new partnership with Honda, the Japanese engine manufacturer that powered the team in some of their greatest years with Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost, fell flat during winter testing and team principal Eric Boullier has admitted the car is weeks behind their rivals’.
Kevin-Magnussen-F1-Testing-Barcelona-Day
With that backdrop, Magnussen was not mincing words about their expectations at Albert Park.
“I’d say quite low [expectations],” he told reporters at the street circuit on Thursday.
“We’re struggling obviously with reliability, making the car run right on time but I think this is obviously a new start for McLaren in many ways.
“And I think it’s going to take time but it’s the right direction for the team to go. It has a bright future but it’s going to take time.”
Magnussen is unlikely to enjoy any resurgence at McLaren this year, and will have his hands full just getting to grips with the car after only 39 laps in it during testing after Alonso’s crash.
“All of those [laps] were low fuel so at least I’m prepared for that,” he said drily. “So it’ll be interesting to see how it feels.”

BUTTON: WE WILL CHALLENGE THE LEADERS LATER IN THE SEASON

Jenson-Button-750x501.jpg

Three-time winner Jenson Button admits he has little hope of landing a fourth Albert Park triumph in seven years in his new McLaren-Honda”s maiden outing at this weekend”s Rolex Australian Grand Prix.
But the 35-year-old Englishman believes he has a car and engine package that will emerge to challenge for glory later in the season.
The 2009 world champion, Melbourne winner in 2009, 2010 and 2012, said at a team press conference he has every confidence in McLaren”s new Honda-powered package, but a frustrating run of setbacks in pre-season testing in Spain had left them off the pace.
“We just have not done the mileage,” he admitted. “Three wins in six years is a good record and I would love to do it again, but speaking honestly it is not going to happen.”
Jenson-Button2-750x501.jpg
Button praised the ambitious and aggressive approach taken by Honda and McLaren to create the best package possible following their reunion, a generation on from their halcyon days.
When they were last together, with Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost in the cockpit, they won four constructors” and four drivers’ titles between 1988 and 1992.
They won 44 of the 80 races they competed in together in that golden era, a spell that left many F1 fans misty-eyed and hoping for a repeat this time around with Button and Fernando Alonso in the drivers” seats.
“It is a new era now and it wont be the same,” Button said.
“We are developing and we are a season behind the other teams. You could see that in testing. For us, to complete 100 laps is like 1,000 laps for anybody else. The philosophy behind the car is very exciting. We have a great base for the future. It is so good.”
Jenson-Button-wins-2009-Australian-F1-GP
“The layout of the power unit is very aggressive – and there is so much packed into a small space. It is so tight, as tight as possible, but that does mean the aero is much cleaner.”
“It will take time and, for us, every lap is a learning curve right now, but we are getting there. I believe we will challenging the leaders later in the season.”
Button is the senior driver in the 2015 field: he has started 266 Grands Prix since making his F1 debut at Albert Park with Williams in 2000.
He and two-time champion Alonso, who is absent from Melbourne as he recovers from the aftermath of a crash in testing at Barcelona, are the most experienced pairing in the field this year with more than 500 Grands Prix between them.

WHITMARSH JOINS NEWEY AT AMERICA’S CUP TEAM

Martin-Whitmarsh-Canadian-F1-Grand-Prix-

Former McLaren Formula One chief Martin Whitmarsh has joined Britain’s bid to return the America’s Cup to its shores for the first time after being named as CEO of Ben Ainslie Racing on Thursday.
Whitmarsh will work alongside Britain’s most successful Olympic sailor whose team is attempting to earn the right to challenge holders Oracle Team USA at the 35th America’s Cup in 2017.
Team principle Ainslie said Whitmarsh’s expertise from a career spent in the high-tech world of car racing makes him the perfect fit for the world’s most famous sailing race, often described as F1 on water.
“I’m delighted that Martin is joining us,” four-times Olympic gold medalist Ainslie said in a statement. “When we first started to put together the plan for BAR, McLaren were one of the aspirations.
“So it’s particularly appropriate to have one of the original architects of that model as our new CEO.”
Whitmarsh, who spent 25 years at McLaren and succeeded Ron Dennis as team principal in 2009, will move to BAR’s purpose-built base in Portsmouth in April.
“After 25 years at McLaren it’s great to be able to turn my energies and experience to such an exciting sporting and technical challenge,” he said.
“I hope my experience will help BAR in its aspiration for a sustainable business model, along with the clear goal of winning the America’s Cup and bringing it back to British waters.”
Adrian Newey, who worked as a designer with Whitmarsh at McLaren and is still with the Red Bull team, is also part of Ainslie’s team.
Britain has never won the America’s Cup since the inaugural race was held in 1851 off the Isle of Wight.

ALONSO COULD ALSO MISS MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX

Fernando-Alonso-leaves-ho-008-750x450.jp

Already absent in Melbourne, now attention is now turning to whether Fernando Alonso will be back in action at the Malaysian Grand Prix in just over two weeks.
Officially, the Spaniard is simply sitting out a 21-day period in the wake of his concussion in February.
McLaren-Honda supremo Ron Dennis confirmed that to reporters in Melbourne, but he also refused to say therefore that Alonso will be back in action for Sepang — a full five weeks after the mysterious Barcelona incident.
On Wednesday, Alonso posted on Twitter a photo of his Malaysia 2007 victory with the caption: “Malaysia … McLaren”.
And in the team’s official pre-race statement, Alonso was quoted as saying: “I’ll be giving everything to be back in the cockpit for Malaysia.”
Dennis admitted, however, that it is yet to be confirmed, “I spoke to him on the way over here. He wants to race there (in Malaysia). I hope he does, but it is his decision, not mine.”
Alonso’s Melbourne substitute Kevin Magnussen, meanwhile, also refused to rule out a more than one-race stint in the MP4-30.
“I haven’t been in contact with him (Alonso),” the Dane told reporters on Thursday, “only on Twitter when he said ‘good luck’ and I said ‘thanks’.
“I haven’t asked him how he is feeling but I hear he is going well.
“You’ll have to wait,” added Magnussen when asked if his services will also be required in Malaysia. “I am not the right person to ask. I don’t know.”

RENAULT PREVIEW THE AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX

ENERGY-F1_2015_2-2-750x497.jpg

Australia has an evening qualifying and race. Track temperature drops towards the end of the race on a sunny day which can help with the management of PU temperatures. However, the sunset can affect driver vision.

• This season, only four Power Units are permitted per driver as opposed to five in 2014. With one less PU and one extra race, parts need to run over 1,000km more than last year – an increase of 33%! That’s more than double the distance of a return trip from Paris to London.
  • During the inter-season break, the rate of progress has meant that the PU is over 5% more efficient across its engine speed range than at the last race of 2014. For the same amount of fuel it can provide more power. We are also able to harvest over 25% more power on the H than we were able to at the beginning of 2014. This makes the Renault Energy F1 amongst the most fuel efficient engines in the world.
  • In another change from last year, in 2015 there is no starting from the pitlane penalty for using an additional power unit. Instead, ten places will be added to a driver’s starting position for the first fifth new part used. If the penalty cannot be fully taken at that event, the remainder of the places will be converted into a time penalty applied at the end of the GP rather than carried forward to the next race.
  • In addition to trying to secure the F1 lap record in Sunday’s race, Infiniti Red Bull Racing’s Daniil Kvyat will be attempting to set the Albert Park production car lap record. The Russian will be lapping the circuit on Thursday in a Renault Sport Megane R.S. 275 Trophy-R.
  • 2015 will be the 30th F1 race to be held in Australia. Renault currently holds the most amount of victories (8) of all the engine manufacturers in this country.

Rémi Taffin, Director of Operations: “We go to Melbourne in an optimistic frame of mind. We had very aggressive development and sensible performance targets for the winter and every solution explored so far has been track tested and validated. We have made significant changes to the control systems and hardware, particularly the turbo and ICE.”

“This means that the reliability is improved and the driveability is getting better. We can still progress in this area and we’ve got enough flexibility to move forward with a solid plan of development. Equally we have some tokens in hand to give even more performance over the year.”

“At this point in time we don’t want to make any prognostics about where we are, but when you compare where we were at the last race of 2014 to this race in Australia, we’re better prepared. We don’t want to talk about wins or points, but obviously we’re hopeful of picking up where we left off and keeping that momentum going.”

Cyril Abiteboul, Managing Director: “This year we can genuinely say we are looking forward to the Australian Grand Prix. Last year we went to Melbourne in a very different frame of mind, but in 2015 we are much happier in our own skin.”

“The changes we made over the winter are starting to take root and there is a more confident vibe at Viry. We know that we are the challengers rather than the leaders, but we also know that we have achieved our own objectives over the winter testing. We set out to make the Power Unit more reliable, which we have done, with over 9,000km covered.”

“We also wanted to improve performance and halve the gap to Mercedes. While it’s more difficult to judge this, our track performance validates our dyno simulations and confirms we are on the right track. We’ve still got a long way to go, but the season is equally long and we’ve still got items up our sleeves to further improve in 2015.”

Perez: Teams should treat drivers better

1020x765__origin__0x0_Sergio_Perez2.jpg

Sergio Perez has thrown his support behind Giedo van der Garde saying F1 teams should "respect" their drivers.
The Dutchman took Sauber to the Victoria supreme court, insisting he had a contract to race in this year's championship.
Sauber had hoped to appeal the ruling but on Thursday it was rejected meaning the team must name him as one of their two drivers for this weekend's Australian Grand Prix.
Perez believes that is the right move anyway as teams should treat drivers better.
"It shouldn't be the way people should be treating drivers. They should respect drivers," he told reporters in the Albert Park paddock.
"A driver can be quite powerful. We are working here. We need this work and this career, so it’s not fair when people are not treating you the way you have to be treated.
"It doesn’t matter if you are a driver or an engineer, everyone has to be treated fairly and if there’s a contract it should be respected because there are rules and they have to be followed."
He added: "Sometimes in Formula 1 you hear drivers of having a contract with the teams and they just get kicked off or drivers who are owed money from three or four years [previously].
"I think Giedo is a good example: a driver should stand up for their rights.
"I see it as a good thing for not only drivers but anyone who works in Formula 1, who should be treated like any other worker in the world."

Manor F1 car appears in Australia

manor2.jpg

The car Manor will use for the opening races of the 2015 F1 season has appeared for the first time in Melbourne.
The team, which competed as Marussia last year, is using an updated version of the MR03 chassis designed to meet the 2015 technical regulations.
Manor intends to introduce a new 2015 car later in the year.
manor-886x474.jpg

Hulkenberg and Button say Sauber in the wrong over Van der Garde situation

saub-vand-jere-2014-2-470x313.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg and Jenson Button have jumped to Giedo van der Garde's defense, both believing Sauber are in the wrong with how they've handled the situation.

The Swiss team was in court this week after Van der Garde claimed he holds a valid contract to race this season. The court sided with the Dutch driver and is forcing Sauber to run him this weekend.
_R6T1764-res.jpg
Hulkenberg admits he's not surprised by the situation, claiming the team are desperate for money and therefore willing to screw people over.
"[My] take is that they signed four drivers but there is only two cars. That is wrong," he said, referring to Adrian Sutil who also believed he would be racing with the team this season.
"Giedo wants what he was promised and what he was signed for and paid for and that is his right.
"I am not surprised because I know the people, I know how it has been there in the past," he added. "They were desperate for some money to survive, which is maybe a general problem of F1.
"But still that is not a way to do business and to screw people like this."
Button_3230758b.jpg
Meanwhile McLaren's Button reckons the team were wrong to use safety as an excuse not to run the 29-year-old.
"The bit that surprises me most is the comments from Sauber saying it is a safety issue with him driving the car," he told Sky Sports F1.
"For me it is a shame that they have gone in that direction, because safety is always a concern in motorsport and we shouldn't be throwing it around lightly. Personally him driving the car is not a safety issue. I think it is unfair to use that against Giedo."

Button: 'This McLaren is unlike any I've driven before'

button-mclaren_W2Q3419.JPG

Jenson Button has described the McLaren MP4-30 "unlike any McLaren he's ever driven", not because of its poor performance, but because of its potential.
The team have struggled for meaningful running following a spate of reliability troubles, but that doesn't concern the 2009 champion who reckons the car can become a winner once they've ironed out its problems.
"I feel that this is a good start but we don't have enough downforce to fight with Mercedes or even a couple of the other teams," he explained. "But the basic philosophy and idea of the aerodynamics and how it works is definitely right. I haven't driven a McLaren like this before, not in the way that it works.
"I'm not saying it's the quickest McLaren I have ever driven, because it's not, but in the way that it works the basic car is very good and it means we can build on it. The airflow will be very clean, so basically we can just add downforce.
"Beforehand [omn previous cars] you would add downforce and it would really change the characteristics of the car, so it's a more consistent car in terms of balance. But as I said, it still needs a lot of work to be competitive."
On the subject of targets for the first race this weekend, he refused to make outlandish claims of finishing in the top ten, but is hopeful they can get the car to the finish - though he even admitted that might be a struggle.
"I have no aim in terms of position, but I believe we can finish the race," he added. "You are going to have doubts and it would be stupid not to have doubts when you look at winter testing because we haven't completed a simulated race distance yet. It would be incorrect for me to sit here and say we are going to finish, but who knows?
"The aim is to finish and I have confidence that we can get enough mileage under our belts this weekend to sort out niggly problems, but I think the most important thing is to just get out there and see what we have."

FIA abandons plans to further restrict Formula 1 radio information

1426147261.jpg

The FIA will not introduce more extreme limitations on pits-to-car radio communication during Formula 1 races, contrary to plans announced last year.
Last September, a ban on radio communication was announced, which was later reduced so that it applied only to driver coaching.
But while there were plans to phase in the full ban from the start of this season, FIA F1 race director Charlie Whiting has confirmed that this plan has been abandoned.
"We are going to treat it [the radio communications rules] exactly as we did at the end of last year," said Whiting.
"Anything that could be considered driver coaching will not be allowed.
"But what we said we would do is to do it [introduce the ban] in two stages, we would not allow driver coaching for the remainder of 2014 and then we would clamp down a lot in 2015, but we decided against that."
Plans to introduce such draconian rules on radio communication met resistance from teams, particularly when it comes to the operation of the complex hybrid power units.
As a result, it was decided that the interpretation of the rules used late last season was sufficient.
"The reason we didn't decide to go forward with that plan was the Formula 1 Commission felt there was not really any need to do that," said Whiting.
"It was a fairly severe interpretation of the rules, so I think it was perfectly reasonable to limit it to driver coaching.
"I can't see any reason to change that view during the course of the year."
Although no drivers received penalties in the final seven races of the year after the limitations on radio communications relating to driver coaching were introduced, Whiting said that any such infringements could incur a punishment.
"It's in article 20.1 of the sporting regulations that if a driver is not driving the car alone and unaided, then there is the potential for a penalty," he said.

Mercedes fly but Sauber and Manor miss first practice

1425889032370.jpg

Nico Rosberg scored a small victory – by a couple of hundredths of a second – over Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in the first free practice session of the year in Melbourne.
Rosberg set an early 1:29.557 in the first half-hour, when an extra set of medium Pirelli tyres was available to all drivers, with Hamilton doing a 1:32.044 that was only seventh quickest at the time. Sebastian Vettel was second fastest at that point, just under a second slower, closely followed by Ferrari team-mate Kimi Raikkonen.
On his second set of medium tyres, Hamilton leapt up to second on a 1:29.586 as Rosberg failed to improve on his new rubber.
Valtteri Bottas was third quickest on 1:30.748 and reported that his Williams “was on the lazy side” in terms of handling.
The Toro Rossos of Carlos Sainz and Max Verstappen were an impressive fourth and sixth in the low 1:31 bracket, split by Vettel, with Felipe Massa (Williams) next up.
Raikkonen fell to eighth, ahead of Pastor Maldonado (Lotus), with local hero Daniel Ricciardo rounding out the top 10.
Ricciardo suffered the first spin of 2015 at Turn 15, after he dropped his right-side wheels on to the grass on turn-in – although he blamed a lack of engine braking for causing the moment. “Driveability is really tricky – it’s really aggressive,” he complained of the Renault engine.
Teammate Daniil Kvyat was 11th, ahead of the under-developed Force Indias of Sergio Perez and Nico Hulkenberg.
McLaren suffered issues as expected, lapping well off the pace by the tune of 5s and both cars required serious repairs during the session.
Two teams did not run for conflicting reasons: Sauber did not complete a lap due to its on-going legal wrangle with Giedo van der Garde, although Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson sat in their cars for the first hour of the session.
Manor also did not run, but its cars appear far from ready. Its computer hard drives were all wiped while the company was in administration, and it is slowly rebuilding its data banks that it requires for the cars to run.
The new regulations concerning skid blocks meant that sparks made a return to Formula One, and proved hugely popular among the fans on social media.

Van der Garde camp calls for prison term for Kaltenborn

f1-australian-gp-2015-giedo-van-der-gard

Sauber court crisis deepens as equipment could be seized by bailiffs if contempt of court is ruled.
An Australian judge will make a decision this afternoon about whether the Sauber team’s equipment is to be seized by the court – and if team boss Monisha Kaltenborn is to be punished either with a prison term, or a fine.
If Justice Croft decides that an offence of contempt of court had been committed – in other words that the team has not complied with the order to not do anything that would prevent Giedo van der Garde from racing – then the summons would be issued and acted upon.
The team did not run its cars in free practice one in Melbourne, despite Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson sitting in them for an hour in the garage. Van der Garde was present at the track also, but not in the Sauber garage apart from a seat fitting this morning.
Court summons
The summons, addressed to Sauber Motorsport and Kaltenborn, reads as follows:
“You are summoned to attend before the Court on the hearing of an application by the Applicants for the following declarations and orders:
1. A declaration that Sauber Motorsport AG is guilty of contempt of Court as particularised in the accompanying Statement of Charge, for failure to comply with paragraph 2 of the Order of the Honourable Justice Croft made on 11 March 2015 (the 11 March Order).
2. That Monisha Kaltenborn-Narang be punished for the contempt committed by Sauber Motorsport AG, by committal to prison for a period to be determined by Court or, in the alternative, by a fine of an amount to be fixed by the Court.
3. That Stewart Alexander McCallum, Peter Damien McCluskey, James Henry Stewart and Brendan John Richards (the Sequestrators) be appointed as sequestrators of all the real and personal estate of Sauber Motorsport AG situated in the State of Victoria.
4. An order that each of the Sequestrators, or any two or more of them, are authorised and directed to:
A: enter upon and take possession of the real and personal estate of Sauber Motorsport AG; and
B: collect, receive and get into their hands the rents and profits of the real and personal estate of Sauber Motorsport AG; and
C: keep them under sequestration in their hands until Sauber Motorsport AG complies with the Order of the Honourable Justice Croft made on 11 March 2015 or until further order.
5. An order that the remuneration of the Sequestrators be such remuneration as shall be fixed by the Court.
6. The costs of this application be paid by Sauber Motorsport AG on an indemnity basis.”
MIKA: This is Australia, Sauber will only receive a fine.... Never a prison term. Pft!
As much as I'm on Van Der Garde's side here, I think pushing this any further such as a prison term is becoming a very bad image to start the season with. The court has ruled, let him race and be done with it. Chances are, Sauber will now fold. sad.png
  • Like 1

RICCIARDO: I HAVE GOT ANTS IN MY PANTS

Daniel Ricciardo was putting on a brave face after engine problems forced him to miss Friday’s second practice session for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.
Ricciardo completed just nine laps in the first practice session then skipped the second warm-up after Red Bull’s mechanics opted to switch engines.
The Australian, who finished third in last year’s championship, was naturally frustrated by the setback but said it was not a major concern.
“It’s a problem that we can fix for tomorrow,” he told reporters. “There’s a lot of time to do what we need, so there’s no concerns. It wasn’t worth rushing it to get five laps this afternoon.”
Under the new regulations in Formula One this season, teams are limited to four power units per driver per season compared to five last year.
Grid penalties will be applied if allowances are exceeded but Ricciardo said this was not an issue for Australia.
“We don’t believe it will affect one of the four engines,” he said. “So it’s not a massive shot in the foot.”
Ricciardo said the delay had only fueled his desperation to do well at his home grand prix. No Australian driver has won at home since Australia was added to the Formula One schedule in 1985.
Ricciardo crossed the line second last year but was later disqualified because of a fuelirregularity and said he was hoping for better luck this weekend.
“The whole week has been a bit of a tease,” he said. “We have talked about racing a lot and haven’t done much of it.
“I’m just more and more anxious to drive. I have got ants in my pants. It’s just a bit more frustrating… but we will pick ourselves up and do what we can over the weekend.
“It would have been nice to get more laps today but it’s definitely too early in the weekend to be down.”

KALTENBORN: I’VE NOT CONSIDERED RESIGNING

Monisha-Kaltenborn-European-F1-Grand-Pri

The court case between Dutch Formula One driver Giedo van der Garde and the Sauber team was adjourned until Saturday, leaving both parties in limbo ahead of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.
A Supreme Court judge agreed to adjourn the case on Friday but urged both parties to try and work out a solution.
“I do wish the parties to talk seriously about resolving this matter by agreement,” Supreme Court Justice Clyde Croft said.
Van der Garde’s lawyer told reporters there had been “constructive discussions between the parties which are expected to continue this evening” while Sauber team boss Monisha Kaltenborn would not comment on the case.
“It’s a topic I cannot talk about,” she told a news conference.
Sauber did not particpate in Friday’s first practice session but did take part in the second, with Magnus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr behind the wheels of the two cars.
Giedo-Van-Der-Garde-0095-750x559.jpg
A test driver for Sauber last year, Van der Garde has accused the Swiss team of reneging on a deal to let him race this season.
He won the initial case and a subsequent appeal but his lawyers launched a contempt of court action against Sauber, forcing the team to comply with the order.
Despite refusing to comment on the case, Kaltenborn did admit the issue had been hard for the team as they prepare for Sunday’s race at Albert Park.
“It’s definitely a very negative impact on the team, because the situation was for a while unclear,” she said.
“We now have certain actions taken against the team, and we are acting accordingly. There’s nothing much more I can really say to that.”
The 43-year-old Kaltenborn, an Indian-born lawyer, took over as Sauber principal in 2012, becoming the first female team boss in Formula 1 history.
Asked whether she was considering resigning from her position because of the saga, she replied: “This whole matter doesn’t have any effect on the way we work, the way the team works. I’ve not considered that.”

MANOR UNLIKELY TO RUN AT ALL IN MELBOURNE

960-640-005-750x497.jpg

The 2015 Formula 1 season is off to a stuttering start in Melbourne, with only 8 of the 10 teams actually firing up their engines in Friday free practice for the Australian Grand Prix.
Sauber is embroiled in the Giedo van der Garde chaos, while the engines at resurrected Manor stayed silent for entirely different reasons.
After its computers were wiped clean for sale amid administration, Manor is now in frantic talks with engine supplier Ferrari to re-install crucial data that will allow the complex ‘power units’ to even be fired up.
“Just because we’re here doesn’t mean you just turn the key and go,” boss Graeme Lowdon told Britain’s Sky.
Australian-F1-Grand-Prix-Previews-uRSdvE
It is rumoured Manor’s operational issues are so complex the team may not be ready to turn a wheel for several races.
“We just have to keep working through methodically,” said Lowdon, who said Manor will do its “absolute best” to be able to qualify and race in Melbourne.
As the other cars practiced on Friday, Manor confirmed: “Today is effectively our first day of testing”.
So even if the software problems can be resolved, the team is facing a shopping list of other problems. There are rumours the British government is still pursuing the team for unpaid taxes.
Australian-F1-Grand-Prix-Previews-iWcpX0
Other speculation suggests Ferrari is also pushing for bills to be paid. And then there is the matter of the hurriedly-modified 2014 car, powered by the similarly year-old Ferrari engine.
Asked if the 107 per cent qualifying rule might be a problem, driver Will Stevens admitted: “It depends how much faster the guys at the top have become.”
Winter testing suggests the field has moved forward by a factor of at least two seconds per lap.
“We’re going to do the best job we can,” said Stevens, “but whether that’s within 107pc or not I don’t know.”

SYDNEY AIMS TO TAKE F1 AWAY FROM MELBOURNE

Aerial-Sydney-900x1600-750x498.jpg

Sydney is lining up a bid to lure the Australian Grand Prix from Melbourne, using a course including a long straight over the iconic Harbour Bridge, officials said Friday.
New South Wales state Premier Mike Baird said if he wins re-election as predicted on March 28, efforts would begin to bring the race from Melbourne, where it has been held for 20 years.
“I believe we have sat back too long and let Melbourne take all the events it wants,” Baird told reporters.
“We’ve grown our own events, we’ve boosted the budget and we want the best events for this city. We’ll do it on the basis that it brings economic benefits to this state.”
Rod McGeoch, who led Sydney’s 2000 Olympics bid, would front a bid team of experts. They would study the benefits and costs of staging the race which currently opens the Formula 1 season and reportedly costs Melbourne US$46 million a year to host.
The reports said Sydney’s proposed circuit would include the world-famous Sydney Harbour Bridge.
But Australian Grand Prix Corporation chairman Ron Walker hit back saying the event, which will be held on Sunday at Melbourne’s Albert Park, was locked into the Victoria state capital until at least 2020.
“(Baird’s) team of advisers have advised him very wrongly,” Walker told ABC television. “We have a contract with (Formula One Group chief executive Bernie) Ecclestone until 2020 and we have another five-year option… so it’s a long time before Sydney could even think about it.”
Walker added that the five-year contract will probably be extended to 10 years in the next few months. Adelaide lost the Australian GP to Melbourne in 1996.
MIKA: Keep dreaming Sydney....pooped.gif

Massa impressed by Ferrari pace

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Feli

Felipe Massa says Williams "need to open our eyes" to Ferrari after the Scuderia showed "incredible" pace in Friday's practices.
While Mercedes romped away with the 1-2 in both Friday sessions at the Albert Park street circuit, Ferrari were third and fourth ahead of Valtteri Bottas.
Sebastian Vettel, who joined Ferrari from Red Bull in the off-season, was also the only driver to get within a second of the Mercedes' times in either session.
However, it is the long distance pace of the SF15-T that has Massa paying attention.
"I saw Ferrari was doing incredibly lap times in the long runs, so we need to open our eyes to them," the Brazilian told Motorsport.com.
"But now we need to analyse where we are compared to the others and I think tomorrow we will be sure - especially after qualifying - exactly where we are."
As for the full pecking order, the Williams drivers reckons Mercedes will be unbeatable this weekend while Williams, Ferrari and perhaps even Red Bull will fight for the final podium position.
He added: "Mercedes is out of the way.
"Ferrari is much better and we are there in the fight, and maybe Red Bull didn't show the same that we saw many times last year, but things can change for tomorrow."

Nico predicts 'nip and tuck' Merc battle

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Nico

Nico Rosberg expects a close battle with Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton in Australia over the weekend, saying he will need to "nail it" in qualifying and on race day.
The German took the honours at Albert Park on Friday as he claimed P1 in both practice sessions with Hamilton just 0.100s behind in FP2 in the afternoon.
Although their rivals have made up a bit of ground since last season, it looks like we are once again headed for an all-Mercedes battle and Rosberg knows he needs to produce the perfect display to see off his team-mate.
"It's been generally a good start and I'm happy with today," he said. "Of course, with Lewis it's always nip and tuck, so it's always quite close and I need to nail it tomorrow and after tomorrow."
Much like Hamilton, Rosberg has also admitted he still needs to find the right balance with the W06.
"For now I haven't found the car balance 100%; the long run was okay but the short run had much too much oversteer for now - oversteer is when the back of the car steps out all the time and it's very risky to drive," he said.
"There's a bit too much of that so I need to work on that this evening, but it's such a mission because there are so many set-up options we can use to get the car right that it's almost infinite. To know which one is the right one so that you are not just masking the issue with another parameter is really complicated."

Raikkonen criticises driving as Ferrari shows pace

1426234521.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen lambasted his own driving as Ferrari finished best-of-the-rest behind Mercedes in a Australian Grand Prix practice that Sebastian Vettel called the "smoothest" Formula 1 Friday he could remember.
Vettel and Raikkonen were third and fourth fastest at Albert Park, with Vettel 0.7 seconds slower than the quickest Mercedes of Nico Rosberg in the second session of the day.
Raikkonen finished up more than four tenths slower than his team-mate in practice two, but still lapped fast enough to stay ahead of the Williams of Valtteri Bottas.
The Finn said he was happy with the car but not with his own performance.
"Not an ideal day, not driving very well, not putting the lap together," Raikkonen admitted.
"We chased the car a little bit on the longer runs and it seems to work a bit better, just tough to put things together.
"We know where we expect ourselves to be and it's only Friday. We still have work to do. I just have to put things together and drive a good lap and we should be OK."
Ex-Red Bull driver Vettel said the Mercedes drivers were "out of reach" but reckoned the lack of problems encountered by his new team meant Ferrari could feel positive it is in good shape as qualifying approaches.
"I'm sure Mercedes is out of reach, you have to be realistic, but the most important today is that we ran and didn't have any problems," Vettel said.
"It was very smooth and I don't remember the last smooth Friday I had like this, so from that point of view it was very good."

Both Lotus cars stuck by same pipe problem

1426242743.jpg

Lotus Formula 1 duo Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado were both hampered by pipe problems on the opening day of running at the Australian Grand Prix.
Neither driver could get through their full Friday programme thanks to the same issue emerging on both cars.
Grosjean, who only managed five laps in FP1, said: "It was a disconnected pipe. It was not the biggest problem in the world, but it just takes long to fix. It's fine."
Maldonado added: "Fortunately it was the same problem, so it was easy to work with.
"It's nothing very important, but we prefer to stop and be sure that we can fit it correctly for tomorrow."
Despite the reliability problems, both drivers were upbeat about the performance of the new lotus.
"I think we have an idea of where we can be and I think it's probably in line with what we thought in winter testing," said Grosjean.
"We'll see tomorrow. I will definitely push hard to get to Q3."

Magnussen takes blame for practice shunt

1426240303.jpg

Kevin Magnussen admitted that he was to blame for crashing his McLaren during second practice for the Australian Grand Prix.
The Dane lost control of his Honda-powered car under braking for Turn 6, and slid through the gravel trap before swiping the tyre barrier.
Speaking about the accident, the Dane confessed that he had simply been pushing too hard.
"There was nothing on the track," he said. "I tried to push the braking and lost the rear on the entry. It snapped in a difficult time and that's when I pointed the car towards the wall and couldn't hold it. It was just a driver mistake."
Both Magnussen and team-mate Jenson Button struggled for speed on the opening day of running, with McLaren braced for a tough time at the first race of the season.
The three-second deficit to Mercedes has left McLaren facing the prospect of being at the back of the grid, but Magnussen was not resigned to that yet.
"I think we do have a chance of getting into Q2 if everything goes right," he said. "But we don't know how much the other guys will pick up either.
"I think maybe Sauber is within reach and maybe Sauber and Force India are quite similar, looking at Jenson's times at least."
Button was not so convinced about the speed potential of the car - and suggested that Manor's presence could be the only thing to save McLaren's blushes from being last.
"I am hoping it won't be the last row of the grid - hopefully 20 cars will run," he said. "It will not be easy and we all know that, we are all working as one and we are not pointing any fingers - just solving the problems as we go.
"Hopefully we will be competitive sooner rather than later. A lot of hard work is needed and we knew that coming into this weekend."