FORMULA 1 - 2015

ROSBERG: 2016 F1 TITLE BATTLE IS ON ALREADY

Nico-Rosberg-F1-Grand-Prix-Brazil-KRT3VK

At a sponsor event this week, a Spanish reporter put it to Nico Rosberg that after two consecutive title defeats to Lewis Hamilton, 2016 may be a case of ‘third time lucky’.
“I like that way of putting it!” the German, who also speaks fluent Spanish, told El Mundo Deportivo newspaper.
Rosberg was attending an event that involved doing a few motocross laps wheel-to-wheel with Marc Marquez, a MotoGP rider whose involvement at the tail end of the title battle between Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo was highly controversial.
“I have followed the bikes for years,” said Rosberg, “and this year it was better than ever. As for what happened at the end, none of us can know what went through their heads.”
A similar psychological and on-track struggle is playing out at present between Rosberg and his own teammate, triple world champion Lewis Hamilton.
Hamilton had a clear edge for most of 2015, but Rosberg now has the upper hand and is desperate to carry his new form into a strong tilt for the title in 2016.
“The battle for the next one has started,” he confirmed. “We are already practicing for it and testing things for next year. For me, everything is going very well now and that’s what I have to continue.”
There are plenty of theories doing the rounds. Is Hamilton trying hard enough with the title already in his pocket? Is he partying too hard? Is Rosberg better when the pressure is lower? Or have Mercedes made a technical tweak that suits Rosberg better?
Nico-Rosberg-F1-Grand-Prix-Brazil-xykzQL
Asked what has changed, Rosberg answered: “Nothing. Nothing has changed. I’ve just worked hard and now I’m faster. It’s not just a matter of driving hard, you have to work a lot to find the best setup — it’s an amazing amount of work, understanding how everything works.”
“You have to understand what the other guy is doing better so that you can adapt and improve. When I’m in the box, I’m always watching what is happening, comparing with my teammate, understanding where he’s faster, what he’s using, what I’m using, what we were using before,” he added.
The intensity of that sort of relationship means that Rosberg and Hamilton are no longer friends.
“We were friends,” he confirmed, “but now we’re not. We’re rivals. In the box it is completely open though. Sharing information is important because if the drivers are not working together, if there is a barrier between them, the team will lose out overall.”
But that sort of intense inter-teammate rivalry, Rosberg acknowledges, is hard for the team bosses like Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda to manage.
“They suffer, for sure,” he said. “It’s not as bad for us. We are always very close but with the experience to know how to handle it.”
MIKA: It's a looong way until the next WDC is decided..

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

ILMOR APPLIES TO BE SUPPLIER FOR 2017 CLIENT F1 ENGINES

Illien-Mario.jpg?resize=750%2C501

Ilmor has thrown its hat into the ring to become Formula 1’s exclusive supplier of the 2.5 litre ‘client engine’ for 2017.
Headed by renowned F1 engine guru and Swiss Mario Illien, the British company was already considered a front-runner due to supplying a similar-spec engine badged as Chevrolet to the Indycar series.
The FIA had announced that outfits should express their interest in the tender by 23 November.
“Ilmor has applied,” Illien told Auto Motor und Sport on 20 November.
The plan, although controversial, is for the perhaps twin-turbo, non-hybrid 2.5 litre V6 to be supplied to teams for no more than EUR 6 or 7 million per year, with the regulations to run parallel to the existing ‘power unit’ rules.
Michael Schmidt, the respected Auto Motor und Sport correspondent, said Ilmor is likely to be joined in the bidding by Cosworth as well as AER, a British racing engine company. The FIA’s decision is expected in early December.
Meanwhile, reports suggest that Ilmor could also work with Renault next year on the French outfit’s 1.6 litre ‘power unit’, but Illien said: “As long as nothing is decided, I will not talk about it.”

ENGINEERS SILLY SEASON HAS SMEDLEY AND BALDISSERRI MOVING

W2Q2582.jpg?resize=750%2C500

Rob Smedley has been linked with a move to the Haas F1 team for 2016.
That is the claim of the respected magazine Autosprint, referring to the 41-year-old British engineer who last year followed his friend and long-time colleague Felipe Massa from Ferrari to a prominent role at Williams.
Another notable move is also shaping up in F1, the publication claims. Autosprint says that joining incoming Williams test driver Lance Stroll at the British team will be Luca Baldisserri, who is currently the head of Ferrari’s driver development ‘academy’.
Stroll, 17, has been part of the academy this year under Baldisserri’s guidance, running fifth in the premier European F3 category for the Prema team.
It is believed Baldisserri has been engaged as a private consultant by Stroll’s father, Lawrence Stroll, a Canadian fashion entrepreneur and billionaire.
Another rumour is that Stroll could take over the final few per cent stake in the Williams team that is still owned by Mercedes chief Toto Wolff.
MIKA: Not that I care about the Engineers but I don't see this happening considering the bro-mance between Smedley and Massa
  • Like 1

KALTENBORN BELIEVES FERRARI WILL VETO CLIENT ENGINE

Monisha-Kaltenborn.jpg?resize=750%2C496

Sauber chief and co-owner Monisha Kaltenborn has made clear her staunch opposition to Formula 1’s proposed client engine for 2017.
As Sauber is a small team and serial campaigner for lower costs, it might be said the Swiss outfit’s opposition to the plan for cheaper engines is surprising.
Indeed, Kaltenborn agrees that the prices charged by the carmakers for the current ‘power units’ – reportedly up to $30 million per season – are way too high.
“These prices are completely unfounded,” Kaltenborn told Auto Motor und Sport. “The manufacturers are building their engines anyway.
“No one is saying that we have to return to V8-level prices, but there must be a middle ground.”
Sauber’s supplier Ferrari, however, has already vetoed Jean Todt’s attempt to impose an engine cost cap, so now the FIA president is on board with Bernie Ecclestone’s desire for a ‘client engine’ to run parallel to the existing rules.
“Six to seven million (euro) I think is a great number,” Kaltenborn said. “I would hope that Ferrari offers us the current engine for this money. But I simply cannot imagine that such an engine (the independent 2.5 litre) comes in.
“We’ve just seen that Ferrari has its right of veto. So why discuss something when you know that at some point the end of the flagpole will be reached?” she added.

Maldonado: Ericsson clash was rubbing’s racing

0331022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_P

Not for the first time Pastor Maldonado has defended his antics out on track, insisting his Brazilian clash with Marcus Ericsson was a racing incident.
Racing the Sauber driver for position at the Interlagos circuit, Maldonado dived up the inside at Turn 1 only to collide with Ericsson.
The Swede was pitched into a spin and had to pit while Maldonado was handed a five-second penalty but still managed to take the chequered flag in 10th place.
The Lotus driver was criticised by Sauber team boss Monisha Kaltenborn for his "very, very annoying" driving, however, he is adamant it was just a racing incident.
"There's a saying that rubbing's racing," said the Venezuelan driver.
"In Formula 1 it sometimes feels like you get penalised for every bit of contact. I went for a gap that was there – and we all want to see overtaking in Formula 1 – and he closed the gap whilst defending his position.
"I saw it as a racing incident, and on a corner like turn one in Brazil the driver on the outside will usually come off worse.
"We spoke after the race and all's fine between us. I think pretty much the same would have happened if positions were reversed and he had tried the same move on me."

Ricciardo: Possible Abu Dhabi announcement

44b1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_D

Daniel Ricciardo has reported that Red Bull are close to announcing their 2016 engine partner and that it could happen as early as next week.
Red Bull are currently without a confirmed engine supplier for next year's championship after deciding to drop Renault.
But with Mercedes saying no and Ferrari only offering year-old power units, Red Bull's engine crisis has dominated headlines of late.
Ricciardo, though, says an announcement could be made in the coming week.
"I'm guessing, but I would say around Abu Dhabi," he told GPUpdate.net.
"There should be some news by the last race of the year. I won't promise anything, but hopefully in the next week you guys [the media] will know something."
He added: "Obviously it was dragging on a bit, but now that the team's confirmed that it will be on the grid, I know that I've got a job for next year, so that's already a good thing.
"Quite a few suppliers have turned us down, which is a bit of a shame. But you see their reasons; I think we've got a pretty good chassis, so they're a little bit scared, or whatever.
"We'll take what we can for now and see what happens for 2016."

Cosworth rules out applying for F1 engine tender

f1-hungarian-gp-2010-cosworth-truck-in-t

Cosworth Engineering has decided not to pursue the FIA's alternative engine route for 2017, because the costs involved would not justify a development programme.
The key issue is that Cosworth would have to start from scratch, as it does not have an engine which could be used as a starting point for an F1 V6 project – in contrast to other known bidders Ilmor and AER, who respectively have IndyCar and LMP1 engines that could form a base.
"We took a look at it and looked at who the potential customers would be," Cosworth co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven told Motorsport.com.
"And the answer is essentially Red Bull, as they don't have a long-term engine contract.
"Then we looked at the economics of developing an engine from scratch, which is what we would have to do.
"The economics of it just don't work out. It would cost roughly £20m to develop from scratch, with everything else that goes with it. You've also got to pay for the on-track support, as well.
"It's also too short a time to produce an engine unless you've already got a design.
"We could do it, but the company is extremely busy at the moment, and to take on a speculative investment without the return that our other projects bring is not good business sense.
"So we have politely declined the opportunity to lose money!"
Kalkhoven acknowledges that it will be hard for the FIA to create parity with the hybrid V6s.
"How they would manage to balance the performance of two sets of engines is completely baffling."

Felipe Massa: Williams needs to triple development to fight for titles

felipe-massa.jpg

Felipe Massa says Williams needs three times as much development on its car if it is to fight for championships next year.

Williams has already secured third place in the constructors' championship this year, but despite being on the podium four times it has not come close to challenging for a race win. Mercedes and Ferrari continue to develop at a rapid rate ahead of Williams, and Massa thinks his team needs to significantly improve to stand a chance of challenging them on track.
"I think to fight for the championship we need triple development of the car, from now until the first race," he told ESPN. "We know Mercedes is very strong -- they lapped [up to] fifth in Brazil which shows how strong they are.
"I hope we can have a good improvement next year and that we can fight in a better way these teams, especially Mercedes and Ferrari that are stronger than us this season."
But Massa says it is nothing new to have one or two team dominating F1.
"Well, since I started in Formula One it was like that. In all these years that I raced, maybe a few years that we had a few teams fighting -- especially when I was fighting, it was two teams fighting for the championship.
"Normally most of the time you always have a team that is stronger than the other which is maybe not what people want to see but is not something starting from now, it's something we've seen in the whole history of Formula One."

Cosworth bowing out of this isn't much of a surprise if you ask me. THey'd have to sink a ton of money to supply what, 2 or 3 teams tops?

I agree although, it would have been great to see the mighty Cosworth back in Formula 1

Kvyat: I’ve just got to keep doing my job...

PA1835295.0036.jpg

The uncertainty surrounding Red Bull's future engine supply is naturally spreading to throughout the four-time world champion organisation, with drivers Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat still unsure of what they'll be driving next season.
While team principal Christian Horner confirmed in Brazil that Red Bull had filed an entry for the 2016 F1 world championship, he also admitted that participation was entirely dependent on an engine partner being secured. Having apparently burned its bridges with long-time partner Renault, Red Bull was rebuffed by both Ferrari and Mercedes, while a potential link-up with Honda was kyboshed by McLaren team boss Ron Dennis, who wants the Japanese giant to honour its one-team agreement.
Should everything work out as the team hopes – which might include a cap-in-hand return to Renault – the F1 paddock expects it to retain an unchanged driver line-up, with Kvyat moving into a second season at Milton Keynes. The Russian is also optimistic that that will be the case, but knows that he will have to wait for confirmation.
“It's been a very up and down season, so there obviously were many very interesting rumours and so on,” he said, “In the beginning of the season, the situation was not very pleasant, but I think I'm very happy in the team right now. I managed to build some very strong relationships with most of the guys in the team, and it's getting stronger and stronger every weekend which is very important.
“I think the second year is always when you put all your experience with the team together and that's where it should look the strongest. That's my understanding. I would be very happy to continue with the team, but obviously there has to be some official confirmation, so we'll have to wait and see.”
Red Bull is hardly struggling for talent should it decide that Kvyat's season – in which he currently heads team-mate Ricciardo by one place and ten points in the standings – doesn't live up to expectation, with Toro Rosso duo Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz set to be hot properties in coming years. While STR boss Franz Tost expects to have an unchanged line-up should the 'junior' team secure its own engine supply for 2016, Kvyat admits that the threat is always paddock-wide, but says his end-of-season form deserves recognition.
“As long as I perform, then I'm not concerned at all,” he insisted, “I think, lately, it has been okay, so it's not a concern for me. There are many good drivers in the paddock but, as long as I do my job well, I don't see a threat. For me, I just focus on weekends like in Mexico and, as long as the team is happy and we keep bringing good points, then not at all.”

Sauber wary of Manor and Haas for 2016

PA1749542.0036.jpg

Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn is anticipating a much tougher midfield battle in Formula 1 next year, with Manor securing Mercedes power units and the new Haas F1 team with its strong Ferrari links.

The Swiss team has enjoyed a relative return to form in 2015 after an abysmal previous season in which it failed to score a single point and finished bottom of the pile. With eighth place in the F1 Constructors' championship close to being secured, ahead of the languishing McLaren and underpowered Manor, Kaltenborn says he is satisfied with her team's results this year.
However, Kaltenborn is already expecting a much trickier challenge in 2016 with Manor set to receive new Mercedes engine for next year while new Haas F1 team has outlined a strong partnership with Ferrari, the engine manufacturer Sauber receives its power units from.
“I am, in principle, happy because we have, in many ways, come back to where we usually are, but I think there is more potential there which we have to utilise next year, so I'm not totally happy,” Kaltenborn said.
“We have Manor coming in with a new [engine] tie-up, and we have a new team coming in which, we learned from the media, has had intensive co-operation with another team, so it's going to be very tough to score a point. I think you'll really have to do that on your own because a lot will have to go wrong [for others] for you to be there and score a point.”

VERSTAPPEN: HE IS MY FATHER AND FRIEND

verstappen-12.jpg?resize=750%2C500

Max Verstappen’s ever-present father Jos is going nowhere, as the 18-year-old rookie nears the end of his meteoric first season in Formula 1. he is quick to attribute a great deal of credit to his Dad.
So impressive has the young Dutchman been in 2015 that many are either comparing him with Ayrton Senna or predicting that he could already handle Lewis Hamilton or Sebastian Vettel as teammate at a top team.
“That’s a nice compliment,” he smiled in an interview with De Telegraaf newspaper. “I think I could handle the next step, yes.”
“It’s hard to say if I’m ready but I think the only difference is the experience they have compared to me. In terms of speed I certainly feel ready to fight them. But that’s easy to say beforehand,” Max added.
For now, Verstappen doing battle for the championship against a current F1 grandee will have to wait, as he will continue his apprenticeship with the Red Bull-owned junior team Toro Rosso next year.
max_e_jos_verstappen-422race.jpg?resize=
And he said he is more than happy to continue his adventure with his ever-present dad – former F1 driver Jos Verstappen – right by his side.
“For me,” Max said, “he is the coach of the year. For many years in succession actually. His presence is very important to me.”
“When I am in the car in the garage and I look in the mirror, I see him. That is how it always has been, actually, ever since I was a boy first stepping into a kart.
“He is my father and friend but also my sounding board, mentor and release valve.”

HAKKINEN: MALDONADO DOES NOT LEARN FROM HIS MISTAKES

33-FORMELEINS1.jpg?resize=750%2C480

Mika Hakkinen has hit out at Pastor Maldonado, as the Venezuelan continues to divide opinion in the F1 paddock.
The sheer number of incidents involving the Lotus driver has inspired the website Has Maldonado Crashed Today.com, his latest contact occurring last time out at Interlagos with Marcus Ericsson.
Maldonado hit back at his resulting penalty.
“There’s a saying that rubbing is racing,” he was quoted as saying in a Lotus preview ahead of the 2015 finale in Abu Dhabi, borrowing a phrase from the Nascar movie Days of Thunder. “In Formula 1 it sometimes feels like you get penalised for every bit of contact.”
But retired double world champion Hakkinen thinks Maldonado should actually be receiving something more harsh than mere time penalties.
Pastor-Maldonado-F1-Grand-Prix-Bahrain-Q
“If a driver does not learn from his mistakes, then tougher sanctions should be introduced for him,” he told the Finnish newspaper Ilta Sanomat.
“Maldonado does not seem to learn anything from his mistakes,” Hakkinen added. “I think when the other drivers race him, they never really know what he’s going to do next.”
Hakkinen thinks Maldonado takes an overly aggressive style into every race and situation.
“I could understand if you’re racing on the last laps and race victory is at stake,” he said, “but generally he should be using more common sense, definitely.”

LOPEZ: WE ARE PRETTY MUCH AT A DEAL NOW WITH RENAULT

Gerard-Lopez-Previews-F1-Grand-Prix-Mala

Talks with Renault for the takeover of the struggling Lotus Formula One team are almost done, according to owner and principal Gerard Lopez.
“I understand that Renault still have some things which they need to clear with Formula One and FOM (Formula One Management), but as far as we are concerned we are pretty much at a deal now,” he told Sky Sports television.
“It won’t be me finished because they have asked me to stay on, so when the deal happens, I will stay on,” added the Luxembourg-based businessman, who will retain a minority shareholding.
Talks between Renault, who previously owned the British-based team, and Lotus have been going on for months but a long-awaited announcement could come at next week’s season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Renault said in September it had signed a letter of intent to take a controlling stake in the former champions, who have fallen on hard times that left them in danger of going into administration.
jm1522au352.jpg?resize=750%2C501
The High Court in London has given them until 7 December to finalise the deal and settle pressing issues, with significant sums owed to Britain’s tax authority.
In Japan last month, the team were locked out of a hospitality unit intended for their use after failing to pay Grand Prix circuit organisers. Their mechanics had to be fed elsewhere as a favour and their freight was delayed because of payment problems.
After the Belgian Grand Prix in August, bailiffs impounded their cars in a dispute with former reserve driver Charles Pic that was later settled.
A sticking point in the negotiations with FOM has been so-called ‘heritage payments’ that the French manufacturer, currently only an engine supplier, wants agreed before confirming its return as a works team.
Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Williams and Red Bull all receive special payments in recognition of their past contribution to the sport. The team are expected to be renamed once a takeover is completed.

HARYANTO AND KING TO TEST FOR MANOR IN ABU DHABI

Rio-Haryanto.jpg?resize=750%2C500

Indonesian driver Rio Haryanto and Britain’s Jordan King will test with the Manor Marussia Formula One team in Abu Dhabi after next weekend’s season-ending race.
The test on Tuesday at the Yas Marina grand prix circuit is being run by Pirelli to evaluate the construction of slick tyres for 2016 as well as a new ultrasoft compound to be introduced next season.
Both Haryanto and King have competed in the GP2 support series this year.
King is the team’s official development driver, but has yet to get behind the wheel of a Formula One car, while Haryanto will be taking part in his third F1 test after ones with the same team in 2010 and 2012.
“I’m really looking forward to being back with the team at the Abu Dhabi test,” said Haryanto, who took part in his first test at the age of 17 and won three GP2 races this season.
“In many ways it is essentially the same team, although the car is quite different.
“I feel much better prepared for this test, and after a very competitive season in GP2, I can’t wait to show how much I have developed to become a more complete driver,” he added.
Manor are the only Formula One team yet to confirm any drivers for 2016. Their drivers this season have been Britain’s Will Stevens, American Alexander Rossi and Spaniard Roberto Merhi.

RAIKKONEN PLAYS DOWN FERRARI EXPECTATIONS FOR 2016

150021-bra.jpg?resize=750%2C501

Kimi Raikkonen is refusing to get carried away with predictions about Ferrari’s hopes of beating Mercedes in 2016.
The pace of the Finn’s teammate Sebastian Vettel was tantalisingly close to the silver cars in Brazil, moving boss Maurizio Arrivabene to muse that Maranello can target not only catching Mercedes next year, but beating them.
“Obviously that’s always the goal,” Raikkonen is quoted by Marca newspaper. “We have access to a lot of numbers that you look at and say that it will be something amazing.”
“But I’ve been here long enough to know that there is not a single team that ever says: Let’s build a worse car now.”
“I’m sure the people have done their homework and it is true that the car has improved a lot since last year,” the 2007 world champion continued. “The aim now is to take another step, but that also depends on what the other teams will do.
“Will it be enough? We will see next year,” Raikkonen said.

TITLE IN HAND HAMILTON HAS NO NEED TO WIN SAYS HAKKINEN

sne15668-001.jpg?resize=750%2C502

Mika Hakkinen suspects Lewis Hamilton might not be firing on every cylinder in the odd tail-end races of the 2015 Formula 1 season.
After the new triple world champion dominated for much of the season, it is Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg who is suddenly on form, with two consecutive wins from pole.
Both of Rosberg’s recent wins, however, have taken place after Briton Hamilton wrapped up the title with three races to spare.
Retired double world champion Hakkinen said: “Lewis is now in the situation that he doesn’t have to win. He doesn’t have to give everything as he did before, since he has already won the championship.
“But since Mercedes is still superior, and there are only two drivers who can win, then if it is not Lewis then the winner will of course be Nico,” he said in his latest interview for sponsor Hermes.
Even German Rosberg admits that he is not sure why he is suddenly stronger than Hamilton, “I am pushing now and I was pushing in the beginning of the season. I don’t have an exact explanation for why it’s going so strongly now.”
“Of course I’ve been working at it a lot, because Lewis had the upper hand for the first part of the season. So yeah, I’m pleased that it has turned around at the moment but I just want to keep it going,” Rosberg said ahead of the season-ending Abu Dhabi grand prix.

VETTEL DEDICATES ROC VICTORY TO SCHUMACHER

1204ROCVettelSchu3.jpg?resize=750%2C497

Sebastian Vettel dedicated his victory in the Race of Champions event at London’s Olympic Stadium at the weekend to Michael Schumacher.
Together, the two Germans dominated the multi-discipline stadium-racing contest for years, but ever since late 2013 Vettel’s mentor Schumacher has been recovering from his near-fatal skiing fall.
“It is a shame that he cannot be here with us now — it’s difficult for us all,” Vettel, who competed against the likes of Daniel Ricciardo, Felipe Massa, Nico Hulkenberg, Jenson Button, Romain Grosjean and many other names across the world of international motor racing, told SID news agency.
“We know that he (Michael) keeps fighting, we know that he’s not well, so we wish him all the best,” the Ferrari driver added.
“It is generally a difficult issue, but clearly I think almost everyone here knows him personally,” said Vettel. “The bottom line is that he is a good friend, and a friend that we are missing here now.”

GASCOYNE MAY MAKE F1 RETURN WITH RENAULT

1115669.jpg?resize=750%2C500

Formula 1 veteran Mike Gascoyne has been linked with a return to the sport with Renault.
Ilta Sanomat newspaper reports that with the French carmaker preparing to announce its buyout of the Lotus team in Abu Dhabi this week, former technical director Gascoyne – most recently in F1 with Caterham – could be drafted in.
Lotus deputy Federico Gastaldi says there are already Renault personnel working at Enstone, indicating that the deal is now all but done.
“All the bits and pieces are there,” he said. “Yes, we do have people working here since Singapore. When it will be announced is their [Renault’s] call.”
Most recently, Briton Gascoyne has been working in the yacht racing industry, but he also offers engineering consultancy in the world of motor racing.
Current team owner Gerard Lopez also admits that a deal with Renault is imminent.

BIDDERS EMERGE AS BUDGET F1 ENGINE PLAN CAUSES STIR

6627059_orig.jpg?resize=750%2C500

Up and down pitlane, and inside and outside of Formula 1, the sport’s plans for parallel and low budget engine rules proposed for 2017 continue to make a stir.
It has emerged that joining engine guru Mario Illien’s company Ilmor in bidding for the exclusive deal will be a British outfit called Advanced Engine Research (AER).
Cosworth has ruled out bidding to build the non-hybrid and almost 900 horse power engine on grounds of cost, but like Ilmor, AER already has an engine that can be adapted to the 2.5 litre specification on its benches, according to the German publication Auto Motor und Sport.
With the aim of giving smaller teams a more affordable option, and allowing Red Bull to escape the whim of the existing manufacturers, the plan has been devised by Bernie Ecclestone and implemented by the governing body, the FIA.
But Mercedes is already vocally opposed, and across the hierarchical spectrum of the sport even the private and struggling Sauber is not supportive.
Franz Tost, however – who heads the Red Bull junior outfit Toro Rosso – said: “I think it’s a good idea.”
Even Federico Gastaldi, deputy of the Lotus team that is on the verge of being bought out by the French carmaker Renault, is backing the idea.
“From my point of view, from our point of view, it will be good for the sport to have this new engine running.
“I think it’s important to move into the direction of keeping the prices as low as possible so that all of us can be more competitive,” he added.
The departing Manor chief Graeme Lowdon, meanwhile, commented: “I think we need to welcome anything that is designed to make the sport more sustainable and hopefully, as well, put back into the hands of the teams a little bit more about what they can control.”

HONDA COMEBACK HAMPERED BY RULES SAYS RAMIREZ

8445642630_139faa5912_z.jpg?resize=750%2

The Formula 1 current rules will prevent Honda from quickly closing the big gap to its engine rivals at the pinnacle of thesport.
That is the view of Jo Ramirez, the retired long-time McLaren team coordinator who admitted the scale of the Anglo-Japanese collaboration’s problems as they reunited in 2015 caught even him by surprise.
“Honda didn’t think it would be so hard,” said the Mexican. “Nobody did.”
Ramirez, 74, lamented that today’s severe restrictions on testing but particularly against free engine development will mean any recovery for Honda will not be fast.
“I think that if the rules were not what they are, Honda would already have a good engine,” he told Spain’s AS newspaper. “Or a much better engine.”
McLaren-Honda finished ahead of only the backmarker Manor in 2015, meaning the once-great team is now haemorrhaging official prize income and private sponsorship.
So what will happen as the collaboration enters its second season next year?
“It all depends on what happens with the rules,” said Ramirez. “If these rumours are true that the freezing of the engines will change … I don’t know.
“The truth is that Honda has improved already but not enough. The gap started at 4.5 seconds and is now 1.5 or 2, but it is also true that the last seconds are the hardest to get.”
Lead McLaren driver Fernando Alonso, however, has declared that he is confident the team and Honda can find a massive 2.5 seconds per lap over the winter.
“I’ll be honest and say that with the rules as they are,” Ramirez commented, “that is not going to be possible.”
As for Alonso, Ramirez added: “He is one of the best, so hopefully he will win again soon because right now it is a waste of an incredible driver.”
He admitted he is not a fan of the hybrid engine formula altogether, insisting that the stated ideal of enticing carmakers onto the grid has failed.
“Look at what has happened,” said Ramirez. “How will another manufacturer come in now when they see what happened with Renault and Honda? They are in F1 on Sunday only to sell cars on Monday.”

Alonso: End of a challenging season

b411022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_F

Fernando Alonso is determined to end 2015 on a positive note after what has been a "challenging" first season back with McLaren.
This weekend Formula 1 heads to the Yas Marina circuit for the 19th and final race on the 2015 calendar.
Abu Dahbi marks the end of a trying season for McLaren and Honda in which they have been short on both pace and reliability.
But despite conceding that it has been a "challenging" season for the team, Alonso reckons they have learned valuable lessons that they can put towards 2016.
"The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend represents many things for us at McLaren-Honda," he said.
"The end of a challenging season and a significant learning curve; the opportunity to collect as much information as possible and continue our learning; and the start of the winter period where we are all focussed on working incredibly hard on next year’s package, and seeing more progress and results from our efforts throughout this year.
"After a few difficult weekends, we will of course be pushing hard to finish the year on a positive note, but the whole team knows the work we have to do over the winter, and there’s huge commitment from everyone already to start seeing results.
"Every session this weekend will be an opportunity to learn more and take that development into next year's car, so as usual we will continue fighting as hard as we can to the end."
As for his team-mate Jenson Button, the Brit is hoping to end his campaign with a top-ten showing that would be a reward for all the hard work that has gone into this year's championship.
"It's testament to the strength of our team that we continue to come out fighting every race weekend, and Abu Dhabi will be exactly the same.
"Yas Marina is a tricky circuit with lots of different elements coming together: sweeping faster sections, two long back straights, and a slower-speed tight, twisty infield section at the end of the lap.
"It makes set-up a challenge and particularly for our package it’s not well suited, but we’re hopeful of a more positive performance there than we found at Interlagos.
"If we can push for some points in Abu Dhabi, it’ll definitely be a boost for the team to end the season, and will reward all the efforts from every single member of the team over the past year."

Mallya: Force India form can continue

8711022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_V

Vijay Mallya believes Force India can carry their strong 2015 form into next season due to stability in the rules.
Although the team began 2015 on the back foot, the introduction of a B-spec car brought about a strong second half to the campaign.
Scoring points in all but one race since the B-spec's debut, a run that included a podium result for Sergio Perez in Russia, Force India wrapped up fifth place in the Constructors' Championship with a race to spare.
It is the team's best result in the championship and one that Mallya is very proud of.
"Heading to Abu Dhabi with fifth place in the championship already secured feels pretty good," said the team boss. "It means we can approach the last weekend of the season free from pressure and with nothing to lose.
"Our focus is simply on enjoying the race and ending the season in style. Abu Dhabi will be a special race for us as it marks the 150th of our history as Force India, and we will aim to celebrate it with a strong performance on the track.
"All season I’ve been saying how proud I am of my team – particularly our development curve in the second half of the season. With 81 points from the last eight races we’ve enjoyed our best ever strike rate and we have been competitive at every race."
The Indian businessman believes his team can continue their upward in 2016, aided in their challenge by stagnant rules.
"With stable regulations for 2016, there is every reason to believe we can carry this form through the winter and into the new season," he added. "There is plenty to be excited about and a lot of positive energy in the team.
"This weekend’s race is simply another chance to demonstrate how far we have come. Our aim will be to qualify in the top ten and add a final helping of points to our tally."

Grosjean to 'race his heart out' in final race with Lotus

grosjean-jm1524se172.jpg

Romain Grosjean says will "race his heart out" during what will be an emotional final race of the 2015 season, because it also marks his final race for the Lotus F1 Team.
The Frenchman made his Formula 1 debut with Renault in 2008 before taking a two year sabbatical. He then returned to the same team in 2011, though by then it had been renamed Lotus with new owners.
For 2016, Grosjean will join upstart Haas alongside Mexico's Esteban Gutierrez for the teams debut season, but before that, he is keen to end his time at Lotus on a high.
"Of course the priority over the race weekend is to score as many points as possible, but it will be quite poignant to be having my last meetings, meals, track walk and other things with the team," he told the official Formula 1 website.
"I've shared so many good and also so many character-building times through my years at Enstone so we'll have some good laughs," he added.
"Of course, before I leave Enstone I will make a visit to the factory to see all the people I've worked with over so many years. I'm sure that will be an emotional day."
For the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi, Grosjean intends to give it everything.
"I'll be fighting all the way," he said. "There's no point holding back in the race or over the weekend. It's the last time the E23s will be used in race action so I’ll be looking to give my car a good send off.
"The engine will be turned up to eleven, I'll be racing my heart out and I know all the guys and girls at Enstone want to see a great end to the season."