H. Upmann Connoisseur No 1

mgillett

Take it easy on me guys, this is my first review.

Purchased these as singles, I don't have codes, so am posting here. I think these would be very young.

Construction : Very good, almost flawless. Seemed a pity to torch this work of art. It felt a little soft when squeezed between the finger and thumb.

Wrapper : Dark brown with a couple of veins but nothing too ugly.

Draw : Perfect for me. It was not at all tight but was just loose enough to allow the right amount of smoke through. The burn started perfect but went off track after the first inch or so. Had problems thereafter but not enough to distract from the experience.

Taste : Started off with some spice but this eventually gave way to what I would consider a creamy smoothness. I am relatively inexperienced in regards to sampling a wide range of Cubans but this reminded me of a Monte 2 I had recently. It maintained this smoothness down to about the last inch and a half where some spice was reintroduced and the smoke began to become somewhat hot and harsh (but this could be due to a couple of re-lights at this point).

Overall : I could only describe it as a medium body, medium flavour cigar. I usually stick to petit coronas and don’t usually venture into the robusto size but this was good. I recommend this to other newbies who are thinking of trying this size.

This is my first Upmann so am now looking forward to trying the Mag 46 as have heard others raving about this cigar on the forum.

Will definitely keep more of these in the humi and I hope Rob has some in stock because I will be after a box! Will give it 90, it might have scored better if I had something other than a Tooheys New to drink with it… :lookaround:

Would like to hear others feedback on this stick. Do they get better with age? They are damn fine now. :-P

Great Review :clap:

When I think of Upmann Connoisseur Number 1 I am thinking of nutty creaminess in a mid body.

Not a cigar I reach for all that often as I prefer a Juan Lopez Seleccion No 2 or 1 for a light body but more complex flavour.

The Upmann Conn 1 will always have a soft-spot in my mind as I can recall with crystal-clarity the five I took to Hawaii a couple year's ago. Each one was savored in the morning, with coffee while watching the sunrise and feeling the warm Hawaiian tradewinds and listening to the "coooohs" of mourning doves on the hillside where we stayed.

Those cigars were truly magical and I'll never forget 'em. I'm a firm believer in the Upmann Conn 1!!

» Great Review :clap:

»

» When I think of Upmann Connoisseur Number 1 I am thinking of nutty

» creaminess in a mid body.

»

» Not a cigar I reach for all that often as I prefer a Juan Lopez Seleccion

» No 2 or 1 for a light body but more complex flavour.

I might have one or two left from a box of these from 1998. There was not a disappointing cigar in the box. Great Upmann flavors and excellent complexity. I don't know how the more recent ones are, but if you can find some with decent age, don't pass them up.

Nice report. Make another one after you smoke the Mag 46 and tell us how they compare. That first report always takes a little courage but remember no one can dispute what you taste.;-)

• 1 month later...

I had one of these about a month ago and really enjoyed it. It was my first Upmann and like you it made me want to try the Mag 46 as well as the Upmann No.2 I currently have resting. Rob's discription of "nutty creaminess in a mid body" matches my experience exactly.

i picked up a recent box as one of three or four pass out boxes after my daughter's birth. good flavor, but not the complexity that i was expecting as with other uppman examples - not near the full, rounded experience of a mag46, for example. i have app. 10 or so left that i have put in the back of the humidor to check back on in a year or so.

good review, though - especially for a first time.

» I might have one or two left from a box of these from 1998. There was not

» a disappointing cigar in the box. Great Upmann flavors and excellent

» complexity. I don't know how the more recent ones are, but if you can

» find some with decent age, don't pass them up.

I've got some from 98 also and they are nice cigars. Medium bodied and complex, wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

» » I might have one or two left from a box of these from 1998. There was

» not

» » a disappointing cigar in the box. Great Upmann flavors and excellent

» » complexity. I don't know how the more recent ones are, but if you can

» » find some with decent age, don't pass them up.

»

» I've got some from 98 also and they are nice cigars. Medium bodied and

» complex, wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

This is exactly what I have found with this cigar. I would pick several "robustos" over this one fresh or young. However, get some from '98 and you are talking about a great smoke. Ages beautifully.